Why do we have to wait for paid purchases?

Serellan

One thing that is very frustrating, especially in todays immediate purchase digital download era, is having to wait for paid purchases from IPB.

I bought an add on for my account hours ago and I'm still waiting for the "manual approval" process to be completed before I can download the app.

This is very frustrating for customers.

Due to fraud IPS manually approve most purchases. If you have been waiting for more than a day shoot them a support ticket.

Due to fraud? I don't know any other retailer that delays the supply of a digital download while they do a manual check.

Perhaps they can consider dropping this frustrating delay for existing customers.

Try ordering a skin from a certain web template company. If you're not a well established customer, your order automatically goes into the fraud prevention queue and they will call you to verify it. They also spot check established customers, especially if an incoming order is larger than average.

IPS is not instituting checks like those just because they like tormenting their own customers. There's a significant amount of loss to fraudulent software orders, and it's not limited to someone walking away with a download they didn't really pay for themselves.There's loss prevention measures that have to be taken - that's time, $$$ and manpower. Then there's the joy of dealing with credit card processors - those can be so merchant unfriendly that they make Paypal look like an oasis of peace, quiet and honorable conduct. Chargebacks, be it "I changed my mind" or "my credit card was used without my permission" cost the merchant a lot more money than you'd think. The law itself (in the US, at least) is not merchant friendly either, and it often allows customers to pull off some rather jaw dropping stunts.

Yeah, it's a pain in the bum to wait. Sometimes, however, it helps to consider the "why" from the merchant angle. Businesses want to do, well, business and make a profit. No company will be able to sustain itself when their losses due to fraud beign to exceed a certain threshold. Waiting is the price we all pay for all the miscreants out there wanting to get stuff for free.

• Management

If information matches up, you typically do not have to wait and the purchase is immediately activated. If, on the other hand, you are in one country but are trying to use billing details from another country - you should expect delays. Such transactions are our largest source of fraud, so they are indeed given extra scrutiny. If we fail to do so and a transaction is charged back, the penalties from the banks really start to add up.

Sorry for any inconvenience. If your billing address does not match your geographical location, you should unfortunately expect somewhat of a delay - with any merchant.

If information matches up, you typically do not have to wait and the purchase is immediately activated. If, on the other hand, you are in one country but are trying to use billing details from another country - you should expect delays. Such transactions are our largest source of fraud, so they are indeed given extra scrutiny. If we fail to do so and a transaction is charged back, the penalties from the banks really start to add up.

Sorry for any inconvenience. If your billing address does not match your geographical location, you should unfortunately expect somewhat of a delay - with any merchant.

A big problem that our performance division has entails orders from outside of the U.S. With almost certainly, each order is red flagged due to the high amount and CCV code not being accepted. A lot of customer complaints, however, it's the credit card processor and not really our company.

We do get several people every week who try to get something past us and we too have someone who scans every order, whether it passes OK through the credit card process procedure or not.

I agree that we should be marked as a trusted buyer after so many purchases. Even if it is a high number like 10 purchases. However, I do understand the need for this. Sadly, the internet has brought about a huge market for fraud and pirating with the instant and anonymous purchases systems. When it comes to creative commons licenses and everything, (which you most commonly find on websites like this) you will always end up having to wait.

I work at Best Buy and people steal stuff from us everyday. We easily lose $300 a day in each department. This forces the prices on other products to jump up. It is the same for all the Adobe products. Those get stolen everyday. And look at how expensive they are? Naturally, they are expensive in themselves. But the price is jacked up because of the amount of pirated copies.

It is unavoidable. But in a community like this, I still think a high number purchases should warrant a trusted reputation.

1. Learn to slow down. Don't be so rushed in life.
2. You may appreciate the fact that a company does this, as it protects you, if your credit / debit card is ever compromised.

IPS Staff, if you ever need to manually verify my purchases, by all means, feel free to do so. I'm happy that you take the time to do it.

we should be "trusted" after a few purchases..

As Lindy mentioned, typically, once you've purchased a product from us, you are immediately activated in most cases, unless there's another red flag on your account, like you've suddenly changed countries from the United Kingdom to Mexico, and your IP address is in France.

I agree that we should be marked as a trusted buyer after so many purchases. Even if it is a high number like 10 purchases. However, I do understand the need for this. Sadly, the internet has brought about a huge market for fraud and pirating with the instant and anonymous purchases systems. When it comes to creative commons licenses and everything, (which you most commonly find on websites like this) you will always end up having to wait.

I work at Best Buy and people steal stuff from us everyday. We easily lose $300 a day in each department. This forces the prices on other products to jump up. It is the same for all the Adobe products. Those get stolen everyday. And look at how expensive they are? Naturally, they are expensive in themselves. But the price is jacked up because of the amount of pirated copies.

It is unavoidable. But in a community like this, I still think a high number purchases should warrant a trusted reputation.

Unfortunately, as Lindy and you point out, fraud is a huge problem online, and we have to protect our customers and ourselves from it. :smile: We do, as has been mentioned, automatically verify a majority of purchases from existing customers.

1. Learn to slow down. Don't be so rushed in life.

2. You may appreciate the fact that a company does this, as it protects you, if your credit / debit card is ever compromised.

IPS Staff, if you ever need to manually verify my purchases, by all means, feel free to do so. I'm happy that you take the time to do it.

2. This is a very valid point that has not been brought up yet and is worth mentioning. We regularly used have users contact us with no idea what the charge on their statement from us is. Fraudsters would attempt to purchase licenses from us as part of their buying spree with a stolen credit card, and after buying the license, they would request to renew it for 5 years "in advance" - because they knew any minute their card would get cut off. Ever since we ramped up our fraud screening, the number of innocent people who had their credit cards stolen and then used here to purchase a license has decreased dramatically.

We're protecting ourselves and you, and everyone else on the internet as well. The delay is unfortunate but it is something that needs to be done. If you ever have questions about a particular billing issue, you can always email billing@invisionpower.com and we'll help you out. :thumbsup:

Archived