Allow us to force Gravatar.

Asphodan

To be put simply: I don't like allowing uploads at all. I'd much rather force Gravatar use, but with that the only options seems to be to "Allow" gravatar, when I want to use it 100%.

Could this be done with a modification for now until it, hopefully, gets added to base?

Ewww... Noo!!! Remove that faeces as a default feature and everytime, I won't have to disable it! Who the hell invented such garbage as Gravatar. If i wanted an avatar, I would upload it!

I realize that its helpful if you want to have the same avatar everywhere but obviously, different websites have their own restrictions and limits to that for a reason, some mostly for design, others to make things simpler.

• 4 months later...

You could always edit your templates and get Rid of the upload field.

That doesn't do anything. Sure, it gets rid of the actual field in the HTML, but it's still perfectly possible for someone to submit the form from a false page or manually edit the page to add that HTML back in for their current page load. Without a backend setting, there's nothing stopping them from actually uploading the image anyways.

Ewww... Noo!!! Remove that faeces as a default feature and everytime, I won't have to disable it! Who the hell invented such garbage as Gravatar. If i wanted an avatar, I would upload it!

I realize that its helpful if you want to have the same avatar everywhere but obviously, different websites have their own restrictions and limits to that for a reason, some mostly for design, others to make things simpler.

You obviously didn't read the feature. Just like some forums like the option to allow image uploads, there are some forums out there as well that would prefer to force Gravatar use only for all profiles. It's just an option, don't overreact.

I would personally like to see an option like this implemented. I've allowed Gravatar on my board and disabled uploads because I don't want to store files on my system, but that leaves a lot of people out there with blank avatars that make it hard to recognize users. There should also be an option to select which kind of Gravatar gets displayed for those users who haven't uploaded a custom image there.

Archived