Comment Notifications, put it in the core.

Marcher Technologies

http://community.inv...s/#entry2254741
In making this rant, I realized something.
The issue is this: applications must implement their notifications for comments individually, which leaves a large separation in functionality in many cases.
I propose that if an application uses the comments controller and "Follow", instead of the application opting IN to comment notifications with its own separate code, do reverse, tie it down to the comments controller all apps use and force it to be an opt-out instead, where if desired, the application author could opt-out, for none, or a customized notify preference/return(yes, I am remembering the complexities of Content here, an over-ride for the notification content is quite vital), but would not have to implement anything to make use of it beyond the comments API/like class.
This would also facilitate Comment Notifications in the official apps without much effort once implemented.
I do not know of the rest, but I am simply tired of following items not of the forum application for literally no reason/benefit.

Your brilliance surpasses any logic I can understand. Your language is so buried in technospeak that I cannot understand what it is that you are trying to say.

Could you, with the utmost patience, spell it out for me in extremely basic A B C language?

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I do not know of the rest, but I am simply tired of following items not of the forum application for literally no reason/benefit.[/font][/color]

? huh ?

Your brilliance surpasses any logic I can understand. Your language is so buried in technospeak that I cannot understand what it is that you are trying to say.

Could you, with the utmost patience, spell it out for me in extremely basic A B C language?

? huh ?

Basically, what I am saying is this:
rather than having each application using comments and follow for content of the app needing to opt-in to Comment notifications with individual code, I simply suggest the functionality is actually tied directly in to the usage of comments and follow, with the choice of the author to opt out, or modify the notification sent.
The reason is that without such a standard setup, we basically get to wait for each app in turn to have the functionality "enabled".
as for the ?huh?
follow a blog entry, follow a gallery photo, follow an ipc article, follow a download.
Comments generate no notifications at all, when is that not the entire point of following the item?
At the moment, only 3 apps offered by IPS in *any* manner, present or past for 3.2.x/3.3.x actually send notifications of *replies*, one is the tracker, one is forums, and the last is nexus for support tickets.

Exactly! Wow...it's nice to see that other people have the same understanding about the importance for end users to know what's going on with comments across all apps.

It makes perfect sense to have a comments controller. Love the idea!

Making it easier for end users to utilize all apps is a must. Don't make end users leaf through endless content in apps to find new comments, comments needing approval, etc.

A lot of popular sites are popular because they have notifications on what matters most to end users - content that relates to them on a personal level and content they choose to follow. It's expected to be notified of such content. And it makes perfect sense.

• 1 month later...

Archived