Suggestion: Before posting, acknowledge that rules are read

bpn

After 10 years of moderating a busy forum I'm pretty tired of post by users that obviously haven't read our forum rules.
I therefore suggest that the editor page include a "I have read the forum rules" field that must be ticked before the post can be made.
(As an optional setting, displayed for users with less than a selectable number of posts)

After 10 years of moderating a busy forum I'm pretty tired of post by users that obviously haven't read our forum rules.

I therefore suggest that the editor page include a "I have read the forum rules" field that must be ticked before the post can be made.

(As an optional setting, displayed for users with less than a selectable number of posts)

? is it just me or is it just one more tick they need to make before posting and still not reading the rules anyway ?

Sure, I do not expect miracles, but it's worth a try.
As we know nobody read rules during registration, but having actively to verify that you know them before you post might help in some degree.

meh... I'm of the opinion a popup triggered upon attempting to save the post blaring the rules to the users face would be more effective TBH, I do see the need... but if nothing else it seems more fruitful to shove the whole forum rules in their face and force the closing of a popup(ergo, you WILL read this lol :tongue: ) rather than a simple tick+go easily bypassed/utterly ignored....
Thoughts?

meh... I'm of the opinion a popup triggered upon attempting to save the post blaring the rules to the users face would be more effective TBH, I do see the need... but if nothing else it seems more fruitful to shove the whole rules in their face and force the closing of a popup rather than a simple tick+go easily bypassed....

Thoughts?

Yeah, that would do better than a simple check-boxing; I agree. But I think that either case is likely to drive a few users away. :P Even if it's only displayed to users in certain usergroups and/or with fewer than a certain number of posts.

Yeah, that would do better than a simple check-boxing; I agree. But I think that either case is likely to drive a few users away. :tongue:

:tongue: hence the user group/per-post limits :tongue:... but yeah...
that it would indeed.... no matter how exactly it is setup, its gonna annoy people(that would drive me bonkers away as a note)...
hrmm..... if nothing else... it needs thought to be implemented both in a manner satisfactory to the board owner, and not driving the users away from the board.... maybe something like the warning notification.

On vb there is a most useful hack that has many thousands of installs, called advanced rules. I would love the same functionality on IPS, because it saves us from so many problems. Its as essential as our warning system. It works great.

Here is the functionality that I would love on IPS:

[*]after registration, the user needs to view the rules for X minutes, before the user can accept the rules. There is a countdown timer. The user can not post, PM, etc before accepting the rules. [*]there are sets of rules, which can be applied globally, or to specific forums. [*]after an infraction / warning, the user needs to accept the rules again. [*]staff can force a user to read the rules, by clicking on a profile button [*]member profile shows when the user has accepted the rules

I do not see the countdown timer with it. Without a countdown timer or something that forces the user to view the page for X minutes, the user will just click it away without looking and then nothing has been accomplished. Is there a time delay function in this hook?

Archived