Restore the ability to change skin via URL

Tom Christian

I'd like to request to have this functionality added back to IPB.

I used this (and many other skin authors) for the "Demo" option in the IPS Marketplace in order to link potential customers to specific skins on a demo forum. Now, they're simply presented with the incorrect skin when following the demo link.

Thanks,
Tom.

+1 on this. Makes the demo field in the Skins category of the Marketplace totally useless. Not only that, but it's now the customers of all us designers have to change the skin when they visit our demo board rather than being taken directly to it.

There's a skinchange.php in the tools folder. That would be my initial suggestion for the moment. :)

I'll admit when I tried it a while back I could not get it to work exactly as I expected but put that down to other factors rather than the tool itself.

There's a skinchange.php in the tools folder. That would be my initial suggestion for the moment. :smile:

I'll admit when I tried it a while back I could not get it to work exactly as I expected but put that down to other factors rather than the tool itself.

I've tried it already and couldn't get it to work.

Michael also told me that this tool probably won't work anymore due to the change in the way the skin chooser works in 3.3. If that's the case, I don't know why it's still there >_<

Michael told me that this tool doesn't work anymore due to how the skin changing works in 3.3. If that's the case, I don't know why it's still there >_<

That might explain the problems I had then, as its not something I'd use usually. I'd have to suggest a bug report as either it should be removed from the .zip or ideally updated so it works. :smile: Then again, we have this feedback topic...

That might explain the problems I had then, as its not something I'd use usually. I'd have to suggest a bug report as either it should be removed from the .zip or ideally updated so it works. :smile: Then again, we have this feedback topic...

I'll add this to the tracker then :)

• 2 months later...

That might explain the problems I had then, as its not something I'd use usually. I'd have to suggest a bug report as either it should be removed from the .zip or ideally updated so it works. [img]

[/img] Then again, we have this feedback topic...

make sure you put skinchange.php?id=[insert skin id here]

I just figured this out thanks to Ehren

• 7 months later...

make sure you put skinchange.php?id=[insert skin id here]

I just figured this out thanks to Ehren

I uploaded skinchange.php to the site root and tried that but it didn't work. Got this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/(path)/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_(id)/skin_downloads.php on line 262

which is this line:

<span class='file_count right'>" . $this->registry->getClass('class_localization')->formatNumber( $_cat['cfileinfo']['total_files'] ) . "</span>

I tried disabling all third party hooks but that didn't help. I have the latest versions of all IPS software.

Thanks for any assistance.

I uploaded skinchange.php to the site root and tried that but it didn't work.

This is the new URL.

ipsRegistry::$settings['base_url'] . 'app=core&module=ajax&section=skin&do=change&skinId=' . intval( $_GET['id'] ) . '&secure_key=' . $reg->member()->form_hash

However, that returns something, so the trick is to run it as ajax and then redirect to the default landing page.

This is the new URL.

ipsRegistry::$settings['base_url'] . 'app=core&module=ajax&section=skin&do=change&skinId=' . intval( $_GET['id'] ) . '&secure_key=' . $reg->member()->form_hash

However, that returns something, so the trick is to run it as ajax and then redirect to the default landing page.

I appreciate the advice for an alternate skin change URL. But suddenly the skinchange.php variation is working.

default IPS skin:
http://xr3x.com/skinchange.php?id=26

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, laltroweb.it said:

Hi...

Please, someone can attach this script for themechange via url? I cannot found in my ipb-pack download... :/

It is (like most of the 3x series tools) not included in the .zip anymore. :) You can obtain it along with some other useful tools here:

Archived