maybe you could give us a change log?

Tremault

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a 'best of both worlds' idea.

New topic to announce the release of an updated (maintenance) version. Usual details about downloading it from the client area, etc etc. Follow up reply which contains a list of any new (albeit minor) features/enhancements and a list of bugs that were fixed. The list of bugs should be enclosed in spoiler tags, so that the reader can optionally open/view the list. This way, people who have subscribed to the announcements forum will get that initial post but won't have an email loaded with the list of bugs, making for a huge email. However, those interested in the list of fixed bugs would be able to view it without having to navigate to the tracker to generate their own list (which in turn lowers resource usage).

Whether or not IPS does this is, of course, their decision. Let's not forget there could also be time restraints involved among other reasons so if they don't do it, don't be upset.

I also want to point out to everyone that from experience, any new features added during the point (maintenance) releases are usually going to be minor ones. Significant additions usually release in a new minor version (ie, 3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2, etc). Not saying new features or enhancements are never included in point releases (3.3.1, 3.3.2, etc), just they're usually small ones. I know how it is, to learn a new version is out and to be hoping for new features to be added. Just with IPS, I know it's usually bug fixes, and I appreciate that because it shows they're on top of fixing problems instead of working on introducing new ones.

I would have thought the software used by the IPS developers would automatically churn out a list of changed files and templates between versions? All they would need to do is copy and paste this list in to the "Version 3.X is now out!" announcement threads - like they used to.

I would have thought the software used by the IPS developers would automatically churn out a list of changed files and templates between versions? All they would need to do is copy and paste this list in to the "Version 3.X is now out!" announcement threads - like they

used to

I think we're fighting a losing battle, bigPaws. I'm with ya though.

I would have thought the software used by the IPS developers would automatically churn out a list of changed files and templates between versions? All they would need to do is copy and paste this list in to the "Version 3.X is now out!" announcement threads - like they

used to

That was back during the IPS 2.x days. With IPB 3.x, the structure is different and one changed feature might require updating 10 or more files. Imagine 10 new or fixed features that require 100 or more files (combined). Also not really feasible to provide such a list because that doesn't tell you what new features or bug fixes have been applied, only the affected files.

I think we're fighting a losing battle, bigPaws. I'm with ya though.

Could be, or could be that something in this topic will make a difference in the future. Just because someone in IPS doesn't respond (or doesn't respond with something you want them to say), it doesn't mean it won't happen or that it's been decided against. Mind you, it doesn't mean the opposite either. Just that a lack of response simply means that they haven't responded. Just be patient and if they feel that it's worth doing (benefit to majority of clients or something), then they might do it. If not then hey, at least the request was made so it had a chance of making a difference. No request = unlikely to bring about change.

As a general rule, most users don't care to see a giant list of bug fixes. The ability, however, to generate this yourself is available in the Tracker for those who are interested (see Michael's reply). %7Boption%7D

Click your name at the top right, click my content, click resources, click "bug tracker".

Could be, or could be that something in this topic will make a difference in the future. Just because someone in IPS doesn't respond (or doesn't respond with something you want them to say), it doesn't mean it won't happen or that it's been decided against. Mind you, it doesn't mean the opposite either. Just that a lack of response simply means that they haven't responded. Just be patient and if they feel that it's worth doing (benefit to majority of clients or something), then they might do it. If not then hey, at least the request was made so it had a chance of making a difference. No request = unlikely to bring about change.

Maybe, maybe not but it appears as though Brandon is set on the option in the profile, which isn't what is being asked of in this topic to begin with.

You didn't really read what I said. What I said covers what you quoted.

I read what you said. I also understand that it may take a while for anyone to respond to certain topics or replies. I mean, there have already been numerous members asking about it and it just doesn't seem like a very big deal. Either we're being told to use the useless link in our profile or be at the mercy of the developers...and what's "easier" for them to use. Let's face it, the filtering (and pagination during filtering, mind you) is a joke and doesn't work. Unless I'm just using it incorrectly, that thing is broke. Come to think of it, it is broke and doesn't work as it should. I heard and read what you said though, Wolfie.

I'm pretty much acceptable to the fact that the generated report function for changes may, or may not be possible again. Either way, we'll have to live with it. Is it a big deal? No, not really, but I also don't see it being a very big issue for that to make its way back either.

I read what you said. I also understand that it may take a while for anyone to respond to certain topics or replies. I mean, there have already been numerous members asking about it and it just doesn't seem like a very big deal. Either we're being told to use the useless link in our profile or be at the mercy of the developers...and what's "easier" for them to use. Let's face it, the filtering (and pagination during filtering, mind you) is a joke and doesn't work. Unless I'm just using it incorrectly, that thing is broke. Come to think of it, it is broke and doesn't work as it should. I heard and read what you said though, Wolfie.

No you didn't.

What I said was, in simple form, that there may not be a reply (at least not one you want), but that it doesn't mean that they won't consider it or that it won't change. Read this snippet from what I said:

Just that a lack of response simply means that they haven't responded.

Unless IPS comes right out and says that they will or won't do something, then the best anyone can do is to speculate. Simple as that.

No you didn't.

What I said was, in simple form, that there may not be a reply (at least not one you want), but that it doesn't mean that they won't consider it or that it won't change. Read this snippet from what I said:

Unless IPS comes right out and says that they will or won't do something, then the best anyone can do is to speculate. Simple as that.

That's fine. I'll believe it when I see it. How's that? :smile:

Archived