Tutorials

Adriano Faria

I was hoping the new Like system would let me add an option to do this, but it appears to only allow you to set one type of notification for when people Like an article. I figured articles probably might not have to get updated that often, and that it'd be more likely that authors would want to be notified about comments, so that's what the Like system lets you get notified about. Hopefully in the future, we'll be able to select different kinds of notifications for when we Like something. I'll go request that now, so that IPS is aware.

That would be cool if IPS implemented it.

One change that we made to our site is that we duplicated the edit buttons at the top (as these are only seen by people that have permission) it does not affect the layout of the page as far as the user is concerned, but makes it much easier to edit pages without scrolling all the way to the bottom.

Not sure if this could be considered or whether anyone else would find this useful, as probably nobody updates pages as often as us.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I have just confirmed that the way I set up the Like system and notifications should work automatically for getting you updates on new tutorials in a category you like, and edits to articles you like. You have to set up your notification options in your My Settings pages to get the type of notification you want (Email, PM, Inline, etc.), and then when you Like a category or article, you make sure you choose to get updated. In an article it will mention 'comments', but that will apply to edits as well.

Note that in 1.2.0 RC 1, this will only work for edits done with the full editor. In 1.2.0 final it is fixed to work on quick edits too.

are there any upgrade instructions or do I just upload everything and run the installer ?

It depends on what you're upgrading from. If you had the version of this app for IP.Board 2.x, then you'd need to run the installer. If you had a version of this app for the 3.x series then you'd run the upgrader. In either case, you upload all of the files and do whatever action you're presented with in the Manage Applications & Modules page. Just be sure to read the included documentation and follow any steps that do pertain to your situation.

Michael when I installed the 120 update it showed the file as beta 1 in the install box

What do you mean by this, what 'install box'?

after installation I recieved an error stating the index file was null

What was the exact error message? I can't think of anything in this app that gives an error message like that.

also I cannot use the full editor when trying to post. Can you help please, thanks.

What happens when you try to do this? The error message attached? You may need to revert your skin templates for this app, lots of stuff changed and if you had this app customozed on a third party skin then those skin changes wouldn't have carried over when you upgraded.

What do you mean by this, what 'install box'?

The main installation box when you click upgrade.

What was the exact error message? I can't think of anything in this app that gives an error message like that.

Cannot tell now as it was only shown after the install.

What happens when you try to do this? The error message attached? You may need to revert your skin templates for this app, lots of stuff changed and if you had this app customozed on a third party skin then those skin changes wouldn't have carried over when you upgraded.

I have found this is not compatible with any of my custom skins, I re cached and the tutorials show now but only half the width as before. Is there any way I can revert back to 1.1.2 as it worked perfectly with everything please.

This happens with all my skins except the master skin. But was perfect before with all skins.

The main installation box when you click upgrade.

Then you either didn't get all of the files uploaded, or you had CHMODs set incorrectly.

I have found this is not compatible with any of my custom skins, I re cached and the tutorials show now but only half the width as before. Is there any way I can revert back to 1.1.2 as it worked perfectly with everything please.

This happens with all my skins except the master skin. But was perfect before with all skins.

Like anything in IP.Board, once you upgrade, you cannot downgrade. This application, like all IP.board apps, is written with the standard skin in mind. If you have a third party skin, you often have to tweak things for applications or other mods you install.

You can, but you would lose any tutorials, categories, and comments you already created, and it's still only going to look correct in the IP.Board default skin.

Ok thanks very much for you help mate, much appreciated, sorry for taking up so much of you time, Thank you. :thumbsup:

I just bought this to try out since I'm getting sick of fighting with IP.Content, and I figure I may as well try this system for posting members' articles and use it and the Portal instead. :P

It installed properly and I didn't have any problems in that regard. ^_^

My question is only somewhat related to Tutorials itself.
Right now I use a little script written out by Kyanar in this thread to display a little "contributor" badge automatically for users with approved articles in IP.Content.

$this->DB->update( 'pfields_content', array( 'field_14' => null ) );   

// Since IP.Content 2 only allows one articles DB, we'll just fetch the first.  Later IP.Content versions could support more than one though... 

$table = $this->DB->buildAndFetch( array( 'select' => 'database_database', 'from' => 'ccs_databases', 'where' => 'database_is_articles=1', 'limit' => array( 0, 1 ) ) );   

$this->DB->build( array( 'select' => 'member_id, COUNT(primary_id_field) as submissions', 'from' => $table['database_database'], 'where' => 'record_approved=1', 'group' => 'member_id' ) );   

$outer = $this->DB->execute();   

while( $r = $this->DB->fetch($outer) )    

{    

$this->DB->update( 'pfields_content', array( 'field_14' => 'Total article submissions: ' . $r['submissions'] ), 'member_id=' . $r['member_id'] );    

}

My members love this little badge, and it's a great incentive for them to actually post articles. Could something similar be done with Tutorials?

Is the goal just to have something under the avatar in posts that displays how many tutorials that member has submitted? That could be something I include a hook for in a future version.

Sounds like a great idea for tutorials, like the contributors badge here.

Thinking about how to implement this, though, how do we account for category permissions? Ideally, from a resource usage perspective, we'd add a new field to the members table and just update that when people submit articles. That way, there's never any extra querying needed to display that count in the userInfoPane template. But we can only ever get a count of all articles they've submitted, not necessarily a count of all articles that the person seeing that count may be able to view.

Say you have a 'premium member' category of articles for your donators. And you have an admin who has only submitted one article on the site, into that premium category. Regular folks are going to be wondering where that article is. It'll either reveal that there's a hidden category that you might have been trying to keep secret from the unwashed masses, or they'll think it's a bug in the app.

If that's not a big concern, though, it should be easy enough to add. Kind of tricky to add that in now and force that field to be counted when we have lots of installations that have articles in them, but it's much better than re-querying for that number all the time.

Is the goal just to have something under the avatar in posts that displays how many tutorials that member has submitted? That could be something I include a hook for in a future version.

On my site, it's just like the little contributor badge here (like the one under your avatar), only with even less functionality since it's just an image and doesn't even link to their submitted content.
That would be useful functionality, but right now it's mainly just a small decorative "reward" for members who submit articles.

OK, here's what I've come up with. First off, when you upgrade to 1.2.1, or install it fresh, it will add a new field to your members table to store the number of articles they have created, and populate that field for each member. Whenever a new article is submitted, or deleted, or anything else that would affect the number of articles each member has, that member's article count gets recounted and saved.

Then, there is a new hook for showing this number in topics. By default, it shows a badge (which I still need to get a customized one for this app):
post-44642-0-22774100-1297716255_thumb.p

You can customize the path to that image, it supports the use of {style_images_url} so that you can have unique image for each skin. Or, you could delete the image code, and have it show as text:
post-44642-0-67353100-1297716310_thumb.p

Or, you could disable the hook and not show this at all. Oh, and if it's shown, it links to the search page for that author's tutorials. :cool:

Archived