Tutorials

Adriano Faria

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This application should be handling images the same way IP.Board handles them, there's no separate template for just the images that you could put something like that in. If you want a link to open in a new tab, you should be able to hold down the Ctrl key when you click on it to do so.

This application should be handling images the same way IP.Board handles them, there's no separate template for just the images that you could put something like that in. If you want a link to open in a new tab, you should be able to hold down the Ctrl key when you click on it to do so.

Light box is turned off on my forums but when viewing a tutorial image it still opens in the light box

I've only just upgraded to IBP 3.14 and I noticed that after disabling the light box all links and attached images opened in the same window, after searching the forums here I found this easy fix b ut it has no effect on tutorial attachments :unsure:

I don't know what to tell you, this application doesn't support what you're asking. I don't call any specific skin template to show images, so there'd be nothing to edit like that article suggests. I would have assumed that same template would have been used for all attached images, so any changes to it would have worked in the Tutorials app too, but since I don't actually call any template to render images, I just pass the attachment data to IP.Board and let it handle how to render them, there's nothing else I can really suggest.

I support the way this application is designed to work, and it's not designed to open images in a new tab.

I don't know what to tell you, this application doesn't support what you're asking. I don't call any specific skin template to show images, so there'd be nothing to edit like that article suggests. I would have assumed that same template would have been used for all attached images, so any changes to it would have worked in the Tutorials app too, but since I don't actually call any template to render images, I just pass the attachment data to IP.Board and let it handle how to render them, there's nothing else I can really suggest.

I support the way this application is designed to work, and it's not designed to open images in a new tab.

So in your own words the mod is designed to use IPB settings to handle attached images ?
If so then attached tutorial images shouldn't open in a light box if the light box is disabled in ACP ?

Images attached to forum posts open in a new window but in the tutorial articles they open in the light box instead so something must be wrong somewhere , hence my question, how do i turn off the lightbox for tutorials when the acp says its disabled and forum attachments open in a new window

So in your own words the mod is designed to use IPB settings to handle attached images ?

If so then attached tutorial images shouldn't open in a light box if the light box is disabled in ACP ?

Images attached to forum posts open in a new window but in the tutorial articles they open in the light box instead so something must be wrong somewhere , hence my question, how do i turn off the lightbox for tutorials when the acp says its disabled and forum attachments open in a new window

You never asked how to turn off lightbox for this application until now, so if you're going to use the phrase "So in your own words" on me, you should verify your own words first. Is that your real question then, how do you make it so lightbox doesn't work in this application for images that are attached to tutorials?

I've verified that yes, disabling Lightbox in the forums doesn't disable it here, and have patched that issue:

http://invisionfocus.com/tracker/issue-232-lightbox-always-enabled/

I can't say for sure whether that will make what you want to happen, happen, but it should at the very least prevent Lightbox from working when you don't want it to.

Hey Michael, I intend on using this as a fiction archive, does it allow the tutorials to be broken into several pages but still children of the parent tutorial?

Edit: Saw the demo. Is it possible to label each page with a name or at least configuring a drop down to work in place of the pagination.

Hey Michael, I intend on using this as a fiction archive, does it allow the tutorials to be broken into several pages but still children of the parent tutorial?

Edit: Saw the demo. Is it possible to label each page with a name or at least configuring a drop down to work in place of the pagination.

Not just yet, but it's on my list of possible things to look into.

Oops, forgot to add another question. Is there an option to automatically bump the tutorial to the top of the archive if the author added another page or something to that extent?

Doesn't look like it. You can make a category sort by different things, but Date Updated isn't one of them. I'll try and remember to add that in for the next version.

I am working on a new version of this app, and one thing that has been getting most of my attention in this update has been the article view. I have made this more 'modernized' and similar in appearance to the way files look in IP.Downloads. I'm looking for some feedback from you guys on this, as I have a few things I'm not sure about. Here's what I have right now:

%7Boption%7D

A few things to take note of:
First off, how does this look? I know it looks a lot like Downloads, and that's intentional, as I think applications for the forum should share a similar look & feel to the other parts. Does it look better than the old layout? Do you think it'll be more user friendly, as the main content is now in the upper left section, and that's where most folks tend to focus? Regarding multi-paged articles, should I keep the pagination thing under the actual text, or just use the Table of Contents? Should I move the pagination thing over there? The one other thing I don't like right now is the Next/Previous article links, I don't know of a good spot to put those. I want to change them to show the actual name of the next and previous articles, like IP.SEO did on the similar feature in topics, but placing this section is something I'm not sure about. I don't want to put it in the middle of the bar where the Facebook Like and Category jump things are, because that could cause space issues on smaller resolutions. Any thoughts on a good place for this set of links to go?

[*]The 'bookmark this article' link has been removed. Browsers can bookmark pages just fine, and this link never worked in Chrome based browsers anyway, so this link was unnecessary. [*]The 'favorites' system this app used to use has now been integrated with the new Like system in IP.Board. All of the articles you had as a favorite should be moved over. [*]Multi-paged articles got a very nifty 'Table of Contents' feature, whereby you can create a navigation to each page automatically. You could already make multi-paged articles by using the [pagebreak] bbcode, but now if you add a [pagetitle="something"] bbcode at the top of each page, it'll automatically add that at the top of the page as the title, and use it in the Table of Contents section on the right. [*]The comments on an article, if in use, now use the same centralized Comments class used by apps like Blogs, Gallery & Downloads

Not just yet, but it's on my list of possible things to look into.

Doesn't look like it. You can make a category sort by different things, but Date Updated isn't one of them. I'll try and remember to add that in for the next version.

Sounds really promising, definitely a great buy for me.

If you forget I'll pester you about it. :thumbsup:

----

The new look is definitely a lot better than the old one IMO. Iffy about the next or the previous placement either, but it's the only good location unless you can cram it into the sidebar somewhere.

Not sure about the pagination either, with a lot of stuffs crammed in there it feels a little bit distracting, does it look better on the sidebar?

Also, how does the app handle comments, say when you have like 50+ comments does it break it down by X comments?

Not sure about the pagination either, with a lot of stuffs crammed in there it feels a little bit distracting, does it look better on the sidebar?

I haven't tried putting it over there to see how it looks yet. It's probably going to be OK looking, but is it necessary if that section already has the full list of pages?

It's the sort of thing you had mentioned you were looking for, in fact. If you had access to the list of pages like in my screenshot, would you have any use for the page jump as well?

Also, how does the app handle comments, say when you have like 50+ comments does it break it down by X comments?

It paginates the list of comments, you can define in the settings how many there are per page, by default it's 10. So if you had 50 comments, you'd see the first 10, and a page jump to browse to the other pages.

I haven't tried putting it over there to see how it looks yet. It's probably going to be OK looking, but is it necessary if that section already has the full list of pages?

It's the sort of thing you had mentioned you were looking for, in fact. If you had access to the list of pages like in my screenshot, would you have any use for the page jump as well?

It paginates the list of comments, you can define in the settings how many there are per page, by default it's 10. So if you had 50 comments, you'd see the first 10, and a page jump to browse to the other pages.

I would say that it's better to have pagination in that area as it is atm, if you have a really long tutorial it would be better to have it on the bottom. For the sidebar though, it's definitely a whole lot better than the pagination, but some of my member base isn't that perceptive.

I would like to suggest few things:

1. Support Topic link should be on top and at the end of tutorial also. After reading the tutorial, user wants to ask questions then he can easily press support topic link.

2. Tag cloud like Blogs. I would love to easily find tutorials based on topic. Example:
One guy releases tutorial based on game 'Enemy Territory console'. User can click on console and find all tutorials related to it. It makes search really easier and user can see the list of the things related to it easily.

I would like to suggest few things:

1. Support Topic link should be on top and at the end of tutorial also. After reading the tutorial, user wants to ask questions then he can easily press support topic link.

I'd probably just move it to the bottom if that's the logical place for it, rather than duplicate it. Where at the bottom of the tutorial exactly would you say is the best place for it to go? Like down near the Report button maybe?

2. Tag cloud like Blogs. I would love to easily find tutorials based on topic. Example:

One guy releases tutorial based on game 'Enemy Territory console'. User can click on console and find all tutorials related to it. It makes search really easier and user can see the list of the things related to it easily.

I've always been hesitant to add tags to this, because there have been rumors for a long time that IP.Board itself might have a tag system eventually. If I make one for this app, and it doesn't work with the IP.Board one, I'd need to change what I created to match IP.Board's, and that may lead to issues.

I think what I might do is always show the Table of Contents for multi-paged articles, and add a setting that will let you toggle off the page jump at the bottom of the article if you want.

That table of contents idea is the best idea ever. Looks amazing. Great job..

I'd probably just move it to the bottom if that's the logical place for it, rather than duplicate it. Where at the bottom of the tutorial exactly would you say is the best place for it to go? Like down near the Report button maybe?

I would say if I am the only one suggesting that, then please help me with skin changes to add one at the bottom or might want to add one simple arrow button that moves the page all the way up.

Don't bother to change it if no one as ever requested it. :)

I've always been hesitant to add tags to this, because there have been rumors for a long time that IP.Board itself might have a tag system eventually. If I make one for this app, and it doesn't work with the IP.Board one, I'd need to change what I created to match IP.Board's, and that may lead to issues.

Rumors is the key word. I have waited so long to see tag system because it makes search so easier for end users. It's up to you my friend to add it or not. Might want to ask Matt, privately and see what he says. I am sure, he would respect your dilemma and would give one secret to you.

I was hoping the new Like system would let me add an option to do this, but it appears to only allow you to set one type of notification for when people Like an article. I figured articles probably might not have to get updated that often, and that it'd be more likely that authors would want to be notified about comments, so that's what the Like system lets you get notified about. Hopefully in the future, we'll be able to select different kinds of notifications for when we Like something. I'll go request that now, so that IPS is aware.

Archived