Tutorials

Adriano Faria

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When people Like content, they can choose whether they want to get updates about the content. No configuration is necessary for that, the end users select what they want to do when they choose to Like something.

Thank you! Should have tested it myself.

Having a blast with this. And this should hopefully be the last of my onslaught of questions.

Is there a way to change how many characters the tutorial description can be shown in the category (that lists the tutorials) before it gets cut off?

Like for the tutorial listing, I want to allow say 500 characters.

I know how to make the skin edits so that won't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

On the mobile version of my site, the Tutorials section is active, but every section says "0 Tutorials", even when you can click into the categories and see and read the tutorials posted there.

I wasn't even expecting it to work on the mobile, so I'm impressed!

Woops, to patch that, edit the skin_tutorials_display -> mainPage template for the Mobile skin, find:

{parse expression="intval($data['files'])"} {$this->lang->words['tutorials']}

Change to:

{parse expression="intval($data['articles'])"} {$this->lang->words['tutorials']}

Save the template bit.

I have patched this for the next version.

Purchased this a few months back and just started getting around to using it. I had a question before I dig too heavily into it, though. If, for any reason, in the future, we decide to no longer use this app, can the existing tutorials be converted into forum posts? I don't foresee that happening, but I didn't foresee vB going into the toilet either! I didn't see this option anywhere in the settings/tools.

Perfect fix, as always. ^_^

Also in the mobile skin, when you hover over the Tutotials link in the main page dropdown menu, it says "Go to %sTutotials" instead of "Go to Tutorials".

Edit the skin_tutorials_external -> movileAppLink template, find this code:

title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_prefix']}{IPSLib::getAppTitle( 'tutorials' )}'

Change to:

title='{parse expression="sprintf( $this->lang->words['go_to_prefix'], IPSLib::getAppTitle( 'tutorials' ) )"}'

Save the template bit.

Purchased this a few months back and just started getting around to using it. I had a question before I dig too heavily into it, though. If, for any reason, in the future, we decide to no longer use this app, can the existing tutorials be converted into forum posts? I don't foresee that happening, but I didn't foresee vB going into the toilet either! I didn't see this option anywhere in the settings/tools.

I haven't created a tool to convert away from this app, most folks want to convert old content into this app instead of away from it.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Can you tell me what I need to add or adjust and in what template/css etc to get the line under the image to go to the left border please? The image below shows exactly what I mean:

post-114071-0-71325100-1306807153_thumb.

Many thanks

Andy

Is there a way to change the access address? http://example.net/index.php?/[u]tutorial[/u]/

You can adjust the code in the /extensions/furlTemplates.php file to change URL structures.

Hi,

Can you tell me what I need to add or adjust and in what template/css etc to get the line under the image to go to the left border please? The image below shows exactly what I mean:

post-114071-0-71325100-1306807153_thumb.

Many thanks

Andy

You probably want to ask the skin author, I have no idea how he added any of those lines.

$_SEOTEMPLATES = array( 'cat'   => array( 'app'    	=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'   		=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)cat=(.+?)(&|$)#i', 'archive/category/$1-#{__title__}/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/archive/category/(\d+?)-#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'archive' ), array( 'cat', '$1' ) ) ) ),

'article'   	=> array( 'app'    	=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'   		=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)article=(.+?)(&|$|\#)#i', 'archive/article/$1-#{__title__}/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/tutorials/article/(\d+?)-#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'article', '$1' ) ) ) ),

'all_comments'  => array( 'app'   		=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'   		=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)module=display(?:&|&)section=comments?(&|$)#i', 'tutorials/comments/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/tutorials/comments#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'module', 'display' ), array( 'section', 'comments' ) ) ) ),

'adv_stats' 	=> array( 'app'   		=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'   		=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)module=display(?:&|&)section=stats?(&|$)#i', 'tutorials/stats/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/tutorials/stats#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'module', 'display' ), array( 'section', 'stats' ) ) ) ),

'random_art'	=> array( 'app'   		=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'   		=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)module=actions(?:&|&)section=random?(&|$)#i', 'tutorials/random/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/tutorials/random#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'module', 'actions' ), array( 'section', 'random' ) ) ) ),

'app=tutorials' => array( 'app'   		=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'   		=> array( '#app=tutorials$#i', 'archive/' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/archive/?$#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ) ) ) ),

);

That doesn't seem to work. I want to rename tutorials to archive.

Try

$_SEOTEMPLATES = array( 'cat'   => array( 'app'     	=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'               	=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)cat=(.+?)(&|$)#i', 'archive/category/$1-#{__title__}/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/archive/category/(\d+?)-#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'cat', '$1' ) ) ) ),

'article'   	=> array( 'app'     	=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'               	=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)article=(.+?)(&|$|\#)#i', 'archive/article/$1-#{__title__}/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/archive/article/(\d+?)-#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'article', '$1' ) ) ) ),

'all_comments'  => array( 'app'             	=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'               	=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)module=display(?:&|&)section=comments?(&|$)#i', 'archive/comments/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/archive/comments#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'module', 'display' ), array( 'section', 'comments' ) ) ) ),

'adv_stats' 	=> array( 'app'             	=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'               	=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)module=display(?:&|&)section=stats?(&|$)#i', 'archive/stats/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/archive/stats#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'module', 'display' ), array( 'section', 'stats' ) ) ) ),

'random_art'	=> array( 'app'             	=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'               	=> array( '#app=tutorials(?:&|&)module=actions(?:&|&)section=random?(&|$)#i', 'archive/random/$2' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/archive/random#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ), array( 'module', 'actions' ), array( 'section', 'random' ) ) ) ),

'app=tutorials' => array( 'app'             	=> 'tutorials',

'allowRedirect' => 1,

'out'               	=> array( '#app=tutorials$#i', 'archive/' ),

'in'        	=> array( 'regex'   => "#/archive/?$#i",

'matches' => array( array( 'app', 'tutorials' ) ) ) ),

);

Hopefully I have caught them all.

Hi Michael,

I just purchased your tutorial application today. I just have one question for now, if I want the latest tutorials to show up in my portal as the main articles, what exportable tag should I use? Right now the portal plugin I saw from the tutorials are all for the side boxes.

I haven't really explored the whole settings yet but this is looking good. :D

EDIT:

Like any language string in IP.Board, just go to the language you want to modify and search for the specific word you want to change, and it will point you to the item to modify.

Uhm..I still don't understand where I can find the language to modify. =/

I just purchased your tutorial application today. I just have one question for now, if I want the latest tutorials to show up in my portal as the main articles, what exportable tag should I use? Right now the portal plugin I saw from the tutorials are all for the side boxes.

The portal plugins included in this application are just designed for the side boxes. The main articles plugin for the portal pulls content from a forum, I can't modify that plugin to pull tutorials instead, as that's not part of this application. You can either have your tutorials create support topics in a dedicated forum and point that main articles plugin to that forum, or use one of the built-in plugins and put it in the main area and reskin it to look the way you want.

Uhm..I still don't understand where I can find the language to modify. =/

On the Manage Languages page on the Look & Feel tab of the Admin CP.

Archived