Suspected Ban Evaders

Pete T

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&s

File Name: Suspected Ban Evaders

File Submitter: Pete T

File Submitted: 24 Nov 2009

File Category: Security

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.1.x, IP.Board 3.2.x, IP.Board 3.3.x, IP.Board 3.4.x

Searches for all IP addresses used by Banned members on your site, either during their registration or by posting, and compares them with IP addresses used by other members during registration or posting. The results of this tool can indicate which members have been Banned but then later returned under a new account.

It should be noted that certain IP.Board modules can create topics on your system that are associated with a Banned member, but are posted using a staff IP address. In addition, topics posted by RSS feeds can be associated with Banned member addresses as well. Because of this, this mod contains settings where you can specify certain member IDs and IP addresses are to be considered 'safe' and won't be checked as being a suspected ban evader.

here to download this file

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are you marking any IP addresses or member IDs as safe? Is there any way you can temporarily increase the PHP timeout settings in your php.ini file to find out just how resource intensive this is for you?

If it turns out that it is really bad for you, like 10 minutes of execution time or something, then I may have to do some major rewriting of this application to make it work on a site your size. I worried that this could be an issue for very large sites, but I didn't have such a site to test it on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've rewritten this application so that the searching is done in discrete parts and then redirected to the new part. You can now set how many items are looked at during each iteration of this in order to try and reduce resource usage problems. Note that this is not a perfect solution, extremely large sites with lots of banned members who have made lots of posts will likely never be able to use a method like this to find banned members, it is simply too much data for this to comb through without having the database time out. But this is a huge improvement over previous versions as far as resource usage is concerned.

• 7 months later...

Awesome, let me know how it works for you.

One annoying thing with this version is that the setting for choosing the number of seconds between a redirect is unused. The new Admin CP redirecting process doesn't let me provide that anymore. I entered some bug reports about this, hopefully I can make that feature usable again.

The description pretty much explains it: it find all IP addresses used in registering or posting by people that are banned, then compares that list of addresses to user registrations and posts from people that aren't banned. People that it finds may be people that were banned and have re-regsitered.

• 3 months later...

Archived