Status Update Group Controls

William Santos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I selected "Members", which is most of our users, and I am still seeing Profile Feed messages. I am not familiar enough with your code to answer your other question.

Why are you offering me something to control status updates when my problem is with Profile Feed messages? Do you understand my problem?

I selected "Members", which is most of our users, and I am still seeing Profile Feed messages. I am not familiar enough with your code to answer your other question.

Why are you offering me something to control status updates when my problem is with Profile Feed messages? Do you understand my problem?

because in IPB 3.2+ they are one and the same throughout the software.

please show me the area you speak of, i worked rather hard to root it all out.

Click on any user's profile. On the left side of the screen click on "Profile Feed". There will appear a text entry field with the words "Profile Feed" above it.

this entire tab should return a textual error.

Reread my setting, and did a double take.

Select the groups you want to be able to use it, the rest will be blocked.

Select the groups you

want

to be able to use it, the rest will be blocked.

I have CLEARED all groups from the settings and am still seeing the Profile Feed, which leads me again to question whether you understand the fundamental problem. I have tried it both ways: selecting the group and clearing the group, and the problem is not solved.

I am looking into other forum software.

I have CLEARED all groups from the settings and am still seeing the Profile Feed, which leads me again to question whether you understand the fundamental problem. I have tried it both ways: selecting the group and clearing the group, and the problem is not solved.

.......I do understand the fundamental problem in the design of the hook, give me ten minutes and I will reverse how it works.

You wish to block all groups from being able to see them, something I did not explicitly account for, most want or need to stop specific groups.

Also, what IPB version? This hook was built against 3.3, I have not vetted it for 3.4, doing so now.

The hook functions as designed on 3.4

post-201612-0-70846700-1355871120_thumb.

I am logged in as an admin.

post-201612-0-71267500-1355871123_thumb.

Also, you would do well to be a bit more polite regarding support of a free hook. I am asking politely for information to pinpoint the issue, and all I am getting is snide responses.

Now, having checked that the hook does indeed work exactly as described, I am going to reverse it so that you can stop all groups from viewing, kill the tab entirely, and forget the fact a free hook has garnered such rudeness.

I am looking into other forum software.

I find this funny since you actually think Marcher cares, but in actual fact next to no-one does! The only people that might care is staff and there ain't no staff in this topic.

Hey Marcher,

This works great.

But a little feature suggestion. I'm using this and another status hook to stop new members from posting updates straight away... just wondering if you could add a 'minimum posts to post a status update' into this hook to save me using 2 hooks :P

(I honestly don't know why these features are not in IP.B itself.)

Please try now, any and all issues you had with the initial design of this hook should be resolved.

I just installed the new version and it does exactly what we need it to do! Thank you very much for providing a very useful tool.

As you may recall from a prior post, we had a troll exploit the Profile Feed messaging system (we also learned that those messages are NOT private) and we wanted to plug what we considered a major security hole. Thanks again!

Sorry for being ignorant but does the latest version work on ipb 3.3.4?

Hello, you could try it, but without even testing I can say it is likely you will need to use the previous version... I got annoyed with the profile tab still being shown, and skin overloads on the main profile template are prone to break between versions as the parameters sent to that template are changed basically every x.X.x.

Thanks for the reply. I installed the previous version and it seems to be working fine and doing what its supposed to do. Out of curiosity, what do mean in the changelog when you say, " Additional Hook Goodness to blot out the profile tab and user dropdown " ?

Hi... in 1.0.1, I left the 'Profile Feed' tab link itself to be disabled via power setting, and remove status import ability via the group setting.

in 1.0.2, I make them both honor this hook.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived