Google+ Login Integration

Lase

It seems I missed the boat on Twitter and Facebook Login Intergration but have taken the steps to have it incorporated now.

Is the next stage Google+ ?

I suspect that eventually Google+ will out-perform Twitter and Facebook so I'd imagine this is something that's in development. I'm not missing anything am I?

Best

I would suggest that a good idea for the next update would be to have

'login using your Facebook account'
'Login using your Twitter account'

...listed here when guests attempt to view protected forums :

%7Boption%7D

I'm actually thinking of removing facebook and twitter as a means of logging into my forums because it's created a problem. New members don't even bother to create a forum name and instead they use their email address as a forum username. It's been like that ever since I had it first enabled. Can't tell you how many new members register without a forum name. It also allows some to log into my forums without even creating a forum account. I've also seen this little glitch happen at other "IPS" powered web-forums.

I'm just not sure that I like opening up the login process to Google ... just some privacy concerns that I have.

It seems I missed the boat on Twitter and Facebook Login Intergration but have taken the steps to have it incorporated now.

Is the next stage Google+ ?

I suspect that eventually Google+ will out-perform Twitter and Facebook so I'd imagine this is something that's in development. I'm not missing anything am I?

Best

I think you mean signing in using your Google account. You don't sign in using Google+, you sign in using Google.

^ Must be. I don't use Google+ really, apologies.

I'm actually thinking of removing facebook and twitter as a means of logging into my forums because it's created a problem. New members don't even bother to create a forum name and instead they use their email address as a forum username. It's been like that ever since I had it first enabled. Can't tell you how many new members register without a forum name. It also allows some to log into my forums without even creating a forum account. I've also seen this little glitch happen at other "IPS" powered web-forums.

I'm just not sure that I like opening up the login process to Google ... just some privacy concerns that I have.

Really? When I was setting these up which was just recently I was presented with the option of requesting that users signing in through these avenues must use their real name, which i checked. (I've installed a hook at registry stating that users must use their real name)

Also, If someone decides to try logging in using Facebook or Twitter and they don't already have a forum account, they have to provide a user name and email address.

Yeah, I don't use it either ... there are just far too many websites creating new social networks that I get a headache just thing about them all. It's just sad because every one that pops up is hoping to become the new Twitter or the new Facebook and it simply isn't working that way. That ride has done gone. They don't create anythign new or unique, they just copy what has come before.

Google uses OpenID, which has been supported for a while.

IPS is removing support for OpenID as a login method in IP.Board 3.3. While OpenID seemed to show promise several years ago it has been overtaken by other login methods.

I'm still just testing IPB 3.3 but it seems they decided to leave OpenID authentication in, but it's there as an installable Log-In method, like Windows Live is.

Probably a good thing, as I expect someone will make some good 3rd party logins for the IPS Marketplace one day that makes it easy to use Google and Steam accounts to login.

Why is it some site owners don't want to 'trust' Google or Facebook for login authentication, but see no problem in forcing all their members to trust them? I'd much rather trust a big 'public' company like Google, with strong security, good set of ethics and defined company policies. In comparison most enthusiast site admins have no policies, accountability or even transparency (and usually uses an alias to remain anonymous). Really.... think about it from your members perspective.

Freeborne, what I've found with Facebook login is two things. Facebook, under some strange method, allows someone to log into your message forums without actually creating an account. I've personally seen this happen when I used the method to create an account on another privately-run IPB message forum. It was odd that account creation didn't happen and I was able to use my Facebook account to access another message forum without having to go through account creation. It actually used a Facebook cookie to log into the forum without having a forum account.

With Google, I simply do not trust Google in any manner. Facebook, Google, Apple and many companies have a very detrimental view when it comes to the privacy policy of those who use their services. This is why I don't trust them and why I'm considering cutting this method as a login option.

As a forum administrator, unless my website is presented with a court order, nobody associated with my site is allowed to reveal any personal information regarding our members. The reason being is that I have members who are actually "English voice actors" within the North America anime industry as well as publishers and anime studios. Over the past few years, my website and community has developed a reputation for official information where it concerns the anime and manga industry. It's odd that this has happened but it has also prodded me to develop stringent privacy policies regarding the members on my site.

When companies, like the ones I mentioned above, start developing privacy policies where they're allowed to profit for your personal information, then I have a problem with that. It's also why I've taken great steps to ensure that the members on my site don't abuse the resources that having an account provide. I just don't like what I've been seeing lately where Facebook, Google, Apple and many other social network sites are revising their policies so that you, as a member, have virtually no rights and that you sign over any liability that may happen by way of that company.

Just like your bank, the government, your ISP, your wife, ex-girlfriends, family, your phone company, Facebook, Drop Box, Evernote, iCloud, your HR department, etc, etc.

Call me crazy, I'd trust Google over any of them. My family might be more trustworthy, but still less 'secure' (and I'm not married). Lase is still correct, your members are already 'trusting' these providers, so who as forum admin are we to say "no, you can't"?

kenichi, if you're that worried, do more research and educate yourself on Google. You can actually delete and wipe your accounts with Google, including search history, G+, etc. They even have a department called the Data Liberation Front that's sole purpose it to ensure your data can be taken away from Google and moved to other providers, like Apple or Zoho, etc. Go on YouTube and watch some Eric Schmidt interviews if you don't like reading fine print. I don't mean to sound condescending but you should do this for your own education.

Are your 'privacy policies" (not to have a go at you) nothing more than some words you wrote in a forum post? Did you get a lawyer to write them up? When someone on your site is being investigated and the law wants access to your data, do you have the power or money to stand up for your member's rights? Are you an expert in IT security, and have your server and site well guarded against hackers? Do you own the infrastructure and data-center your server is housed in? There's more to trust then a person's good intentions.

As I stated, admins who have a personal distrust of Facebook or Google actually 'think' they are more trustworthy, reliable and secure than these large corporations, but IMHO are doing a dis-service to their own members. If you had 10,000 members, it's likely safe to say at 'least' half have a Facebook or Google account, yet you're telling them they're wrong, and for their own good you're not going to let them trust Facebook/Google with their password for your site, because you can do a better job? :logik:

• 1 month later...

That's excellent well done Marcher.

Good looking reviews as well looks like you did good.

Edit - Ah this is brilliant man.

Looks great on the index. It's also got 'Login with Google' on hover as well, which the Twitter and FB Index methods don't have.

Archived