Editing posts in a locked thread

Rimi

My members reported this to me as a bug, but I just realized that it's actually WAI. Can we have a setting for this, maybe? You never know when a user would like to remove information that they may have posted about themselves.

Well, isn't the whole purpose of having a locked thread to limit the ability of members to edit/add/remove any replies. :rofl:

In your case, if the member has posted info that might be considered as "sensible", they should report the post and add the reason as "remove these words or line, etc" so the moderators or admins can take care of the editing.

Well, isn't the whole purpose of having a locked thread to limit the ability of members to edit/add/remove any replies. :rofl:

In your case, if the member has posted info that might be considered as "sensible", they should report the post and add the reason as "remove these words or line, etc" so the moderators or admins can take care of the editing.

Well, that's why I asked it to be a setting. I prefer giving members more control. Generally I only lock threads if I don't want them bumped anymore like old announcements.

What if you didn't allow members to post replies but edit only, using a new permission set? Unless you want to limit that to one or some topics only (instead of an entire board), then maybe there is a way to have custom permissions per topic... a modification maybe? You should check the marketplace in case it already exists.

It's not a big deal to me, it's just my own feedback. My members were surprised that they couldn't edit their posts after a thread was locked so I made the topic. It's not something I intend to pursure to such an extent. I could probably find the necessary edits needed anyway...maybe. I just recall that editing is possible in 3.1.4 (or maybe because I'm an admin that's just what I think it was like).

Rimi, I can tell you that it's better to leave this feature alone. I have my forums set up so that any member can edit their own topic titles, edit their posted messages whenever they feel like it. However, I've found it useful that once a topic is locked or closed, that it's a good thing to prevent members from editing a post in a locked topic.

The only members who can edit a locked topic are those who are part of forum staff (Admin, Moderators). This is so that they can edit forum rules, important policies, etc.

Locking a topic means that nothing can be edited in that topic except for forum staff.

I totally agree with kenichi. Trying to give more control to members would simply turn them into mini or closer to full-fledged moderators, which doesn't make sense, as the line between actual moderators and members would then be completely blurred. Sometimes, you have to learn to say "no" to members, as they are famously known to complain all the time. I've been webmaster and admin for almost a decade, and i can't even begin to testify about the thousands of cases where a member would show up and "demand" a certain feature, even escalating his request by gathering support and in some extreme cases, threatening to leave the forums. I went out of my way to make the missing features happen, and after paying good money to some third-party developers, the requested features were finally added. The rioting members calmed down, but lo and behold, these same members gradually left the forum or became so quiet, they never posted!! So, what's the use of always listening to what a minority wants when you can never be sure that all the efforts and money spent will be worth it in the long run. Anyway, with experience, most admins tend to get better at knowing when and how to deal with members and their unending lists of requests and dream features.

Not a problem, Rimi. The thing is, that once you close a topic, it means that the topic has done run its course and doesn't need to be edited or anything like that. When I close a topic on my forums, there's a reason why it remains closed and usually, the only people who complain are those who just register for an account in order to start an argument over it. Those members usually end up getting banned because they only have a single purpose, to start a flame war with the forum staff or the members.

I've had to educate myself on how to spot these kind of members and I evaluate each circumstance. Dedicated members realize and understand that when a topic gets locked, then it simply becomes "read only" and that there is a reason for that. But, I think that if you consider opening up posts to be editing after it's been closed then the whole idea of locking topics becomes useless.

If there is a locked topic or something that needs to be edited that isn't accessible by someone in the "member" usergroup, then they can petition an Admin or Moderator to edit the post or topic. That is always their last resort.

Archived