Intended Glitch? Importing 3.2 Forum Skins for 3.3

Rheddy

For anyone who can answer this: I remember that when IPB 3.3 was being developed that we were informed that forum skins for 3.2 would work with 3.3. However, I've recently discovered that you cannot import an IPB 3.2 forum skin into 3.3. Was this intended?

The only skin I have imported so far is Deviant III, but baring the waring that I was importing a 3.2 skin it installed and works just fine.

Edit: I also just now imported IBR ( from the market place here ) and it also installs and works as intended.

For anyone who can answer this: I remember that when IPB 3.3 was being developed that we were informed that forum skins for 3.2 would work with 3.3. However, I've recently discovered that you cannot import an IPB 3.2 forum skin into 3.3. Was this intended?

They didn't say 3.2 skins would work with 3.3, they said the default skin would not be redone. 3.2 skins still need to be upgraded, just minimally.

The statements being made here are pretty general and global. Most 3.2 skins will not need to be recoded from scratch to work on 3.3. They need but a few specific updates, many of which we've posted in our KB for upgrading users who are facing specific issues.

If a 3.2 skin "crashes" (I'm not sure what you mean by this specifically), it likely was very customized and may need further updates. If it calls a function that no longer exists on the backend, for instance, the skin would need to be updated to stop calling that function. A lot can be done in a skin, and there is no way, ever, to guarantee *every* skin will work after an upgrade. It's likely just something specific the skin or skins you attempted are doing.

Brandon, when I've tried to re-import a skin, it had no customizations to result in that crash. It was from a fresh skin install prior to the modifications. While it's no major concern for me, I'm just wondering why IPB 3.3 would flag a fresh/new skin install as it does, with the 3.2 warning. What happened in my case was that I had tried to inistall a forum skin for 3.2, one of the free skins distributed in the marketplace, and when I tried to "change forum skin" I get a warning that the skin has crashed and that I need to talk to the designer of the skin.

I'm just wondering that if the 3.2 are compatible that I'm wondering why the skin would crash if it really is compatible with 3.3. I was trying to ascertain some manual edits and ended up deleting a skin from my forums. When I went to reinstall it, this "crash" is what happened. Now, I'm just waiting for specific IPB 3.3 forum skins to be released.

I wouldn't think that the skins were modified prior to their distribution in the IPS Marketplace.

Brandon, when I've tried to re-import a skin, it had no customizations to result in that crash. It was from a fresh skin install prior to the modifications. While it's no major concern for me, I'm just wondering why IPB 3.3 would flag a fresh/new skin install as it does, with the 3.2 warning. What happened in my case was that I had tried to inistall a forum skin for 3.2, one of the free skins distributed in the marketplace, and when I tried to "change forum skin" I get a warning that the skin has crashed and that I need to talk to the designer of the skin.

I'm just wondering that if the 3.2 are compatible that I'm wondering why the skin would crash if it really is compatible with 3.3. I was trying to ascertain some manual edits and ended up deleting a skin from my forums. When I went to reinstall it, this "crash" is what happened. Now, I'm just waiting for specific IPB 3.3 forum skins to be released.

I wouldn't think that the skins were modified prior to their distribution in the IPS Marketplace.

Every skin is modified prior to marketplace release, or it would not see a marketplace release... that's what skins are, customized templates/css of the IPB stock.

For further clarification...
3.2.3 skins are for 3.2.3
3.3.0 skins are for 3.3.0

Each version change "can" bring skin changes... some versions are minor... some are more critical, it's always "best" to use a skin designed and updated for your current version. You can do this manually as Brandon suggested with the KB articles information (if they are light changes), or purchase a skin created or updated for the proper version. Keep in mind some skin errors are not always seen on the front end either, so ensuring you have the properly updated skin/changes is important.

They didn't say 3.2 skins would work with 3.3

because the skins are supposed to be compatible.

I can only be so clear. :ermm:

If you tell us the exact error you're getting, we can help you fix it, but it isn't going to work out of the box, and I don't think anyone ever said it would.

I have had my custom skin upgraded to 3.3 but when I run a merge report it says I have "unresolvable conflicts" in Global Template, IPB Styles and one in IP Content. The skin appears to work perfectly.

The person who upgraded my skin said:

"I think it still produces a merge conflict message because the merge center isn't what made the edits so it still thinks there are things still left to be merged. It also likely is looking for specific lines for specific code, which in a custom skin, are very different from the default skin. Different things are in different places, and the program doesn't know they are still there, just in a different spot. It also notices some colors and styles are different from default, so it thinks there's a conflict. I think you're good to go. All skins that are custom will likely come up as having a conflict, but they are only because the content has been moved around, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. "

is that true?

Archived