Setting to disallow members from viewing warn points

Rimi

I need the same. I've already had about a dozen users complain about it, some think they have been warned, others don't want to see '0 warnings points' on their profile area in the topic view. I've had to disable the option completely, which is bad because I've just made a long post about using the warning system because of a couple of idiots.

+1 for TRUTH!

I really hope an IPB staff member reads this, as this is easily my top beef with IPB, even though I love it to death after switching from vB. The logic is simple if you understand some basic things about psychology. I mean, has IPB never heard of the tests where they tell a kid he's dumb and he performs worse, and they tell a kid he's smart and he performs better, other factors taken into account?!

If you put a warning number, "0 Warning Points," a metric that is good when it's low (or zero), next to a post count (and possibly other metrics like # of awards, etc), which are good when they're high, you do one or more of the following:

1. Subconsciously communicate that warning points are something to strive for;

2. Degrade the value of the post count and other positive metrics;

3. Alienate the non-troublemakers, who probably comprise the vast majority of your membership, by making them feel "supervised";

4. Subconsciously give those with troublemaker "tendencies" a new goal to strive for!

For the life of me, I see no benefit whatsoever to a constant reminder that all members better be on their best behavior. Honestly, when I figured out that this feature couldn't be removed, I immediately thought of a farmer and a farm animal. If that's how IPB sees it's customers' memberships and what their relationship should be, then I clearly made the wrong move switching from vB.

If not, and I do believe that IPB greatly values its customers' memberships, or I wouldn't be so harsh above, THEN, PLEASE IPB, ADD AN ABILITY TO TOGGLE WARNING POINT DISPLAYS ON/OFF FOR ALL USERS, OR AT LEAST FOR THOSE WITH 0 WARNING POINTS!

FYI, there's already a setting to turn display of the warning points completely off.

ACP -> System Settings -> Members sub-tab -> Warning and Moderation -> Allow all other non-protected groups to see their own warn points and reasons

If you set that to "No" then they won't be displayed to the Member.

Nice, thanks Mark! This is a good temporary solution, at least while our board is still new; I'm going to turn it off unless/until it becomes necessary.

However, "If set to "yes", members will be able to see their own warn points and reasons for their warns."

This On/Off seems like a choice between one of two extremes, especially as I think being forced to see warning points on one's own posts, on every single one, is the worst of it, and the ability to see it if one actively looks for it in some nook of their profile isn't necessarily so bad. Even then, imo not until someone gets a warning/have warning points should the warning system even exist to him anywhere (as far as he can see).

I think allowing the whole system to be a bit more customizable -- keeping my above post in mind -- would allow IPB customers to tailor their community's "tone" much more precisely, like a teacher adjusts the tone of the classroom, and would be a welcome feature.

• 3 months later...

Setting to turn display of the warning points completely off.

ACP -> System Settings -> Members sub-tab -> Warning and Moderation -> Allow all other non-protected groups to see their own warn points and reasons

I do not have that option. I have this: Hide from main settings list?

This does hide from the members however it also hides it under System Settings/Members.

• 4 months later...

This has been raised in our forum, very recently and it really gets on members nerves. Is there a way of changing the text 'warning points', to something entirely different? That may be a way round it.

There is already a setting for this 'Allow all other non-protected groups to see their own warn points and reasons' although you could skin it out too if required. For a fresh install it does default to 'yes' though so that may be your concern.

If not, please post in the Support Forums area if you needed specific assistance with either this setting or a skin edit to hide it. :smile:

Archived