Jump to content

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

I am just going to have to look into whether or not I would have a legal case or not.

you wouldn't. you don't "own" the concept of a "tournaments" app, and i doubt you can "legally" copyright such a generic name as "tournaments". now the hack code you muddled your way thru on the 3.x one, you own. 

now most of us don't have a problem with competition, however we would take issue if someone was "copying" our unique features we might add into our apps, that set them apart from other competitors apps.

Edited by CodingJungle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CodingJungle said:

you wouldn't. you don't "own" the concept of a "tournaments" app, and i doubt you can "legally" copyright such a generic name as "tournaments". now the hack code you muddled your way thru on the 3.x one, you own. 

now most of us don't have a problem with competition, however we would might take issue if someone was "copying" our unique features we might add into our apps, that set them apart from other competitors apps.

I agree with you. My point is simply that, legally speaking, if the person is going to look at another person's app (whether it's to look into a feature to be sure they understand what was going on or to see table names and field names for conversion purposes), they should have to have a purchased copy. Otherwise, it is the same thing as if a developer is given a copy of ip.suite to develop for, which IPS has made clear is not ok. My app is not currently on the market anymore, so if he or headstand is going to make a competing app, he/she should have to get info from the person's database. Receiving shared files is no different than if one of you guys' files is distributed on a warez site.

That is my only point as far as legality goes. I didn't bother saying how low it is, and breaking an unwritten code, for a third party developer to knowingly take it on at a time they know I had been working on it and trying to learn the framework of ip.suite 4. That's just a  given and didn't need to be said and it did not surprise me in the least, knowing some people here and how they operate. You know, as well as I do, that several of you are a clique, who would never have taken on the work if one of you was the one who made the original app. It's being taken on for a sole reason, which you know.

Anyway. There isn't much else to say at this time. Especially since the customers just got rude, I will not complete this app for a public version. If any customer does still want a version from me, PM me, and I will hear you out. Thank you!

Edited by Midnight Modding
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

or to see table names and field names for conversion purposes

That's just false. I don't need to purchase a copy of something in order to look at database structure. If I'm doing a conversion from vBulletin, do I need to buy vBulletin? No. When we're talking about conversion, the code is totally irrelevant. You only care about data, which does not belong to the author.

7 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

so if he or headstand is going to make a competing app

Let's be 100% clear: I have no interest whatsoever in making a competing app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

My app is not currently on the market anymore, so if he or headstand is going to make a competing app, he/she should have to get info from the person's database.

incorrect, the site owner would own the data and whatever layout it is in. they have rights to protect and use their data, which in this case in most countries, would supersede your right of the ownership of the "schema".

but again, you do own your code they can't willy nilly copy it, but they can look at how it works in a live environment and "reverse engineer it". so in most cases, they will never have to even look at on bit of your code to be able to reproduce your entire app. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CodingJungle said:

incorrect, the site owner would own the data and whatever layout it is in. they have rights to protect and use their data, which in this case in most countries, would supersede your right of the ownership of the "schema".

but again, you do own your code they can't willy nilly copy it, but they can look at how it works in a live environment and "reverse engineer it". so in most cases, they will never have to even look at on bit of your code to be able to reproduce your entire app. 

Then stop posting links to warez sites and condemning them, as you have just said they have a right to share with whoever they want as you don't own the rights. Also I would love if you or Adriano would show many any terms, whatsoever, in marketplace stating that you're giving rights over to IPS and they own the apps. I see no such agreement, or any agreement at all, for that matter. Thanks.

(also it's not really professional to be talking about this in this topic. this is a support topic)

Edited by Midnight Modding
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Midnight Modding said:

Then stop posting links to warez sites and condemning them, as you have just said they have a right to share with whoever they want as you don't own the rights.

There is a HUGE difference between having a personal copy for development/review purposes and between redistribution. Warez is illegal. It is distributing software that does not belong to the distributor. My getting a copy of your app from a customer is perfectly legal because the customer purchased it and I am under contract with that same customer. All my work belongs to the customer anyway. 

If I rewrite your app FROM SCRATCH and distribute it, it's no longer yours, it's mine, and I can do what I want. However, if I take your app and CHANGE it and sell it, then we would have a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CodingJungle said:

hey braniac, re-read what i said and then come back and apologize for how stupid this is.

Eh, I didn't notice your line on reverse engineering.

8 minutes ago, HeadStand said:

There is a HUGE difference between having a personal copy for development/review purposes and between redistribution. Warez is illegal. It is distributing software that does not belong to the distributor. My getting a copy of your app from a customer is perfectly legal because the customer purchased it and I am under contract with that same customer. All my work belongs to the customer anyway. 

If I rewrite your app FROM SCRATCH and distribute it, it's no longer yours, it's mine, and I can do what I want. However, if I take your app and CHANGE it and sell it, then we would have a problem.

But you have to have a right to be looking at the app to begin with. Otherwise, it goes back to my point that IPS saying you can't just take someone else's copy of suite and look at it for your development work. This isn't a copy you purchased and are using to help with making your own version, it's an app that ahs a price attached and is not currently for sale, to boot.

Edited by Midnight Modding
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

But you have to have a right to be looking at the app to begin with. Otherwise, it goes back to my point that IPS saying you can't just take someone else's copy of suite and look at it for your development work.

Again, I am under contract with the customer. Customer owns the product, and the contract makes me an employee (for all intents and purposes). That means that I have a right to be looking at the app. Try again. 

Edited by HeadStand
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let it end already.  Let Midnight fall away into Troll ether.  His customers are doing a good enough job roasting him over his most recent failure.

If you're interested in pursuing legal action against someone that makes a similar application, I suggest you contact a copyright / IP attorney and quit arguing here.  

And for the record, I'm not involved in any such manner with this 'other' version that's supposedly being made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CodingJungle said:

you know how you were talking about libel and slander earlier, you have just committed an act of libel against mrbowers by saying he is a "software pirate"

No. I did not say that. I said he offered to do what headstand says she can do. He was offering to let me use an existing app to get ideas for the tournaments app. I am unclear on details, so I am not saying he was doing anything wrong. Also, I am saying I am concerned it will go thatw at and headstand just said she can accept files from another customer, so clearly she thinks it's ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Midnight Modding said:

No. I did not say that.

actually you did, you said sharing files with your developer, is no different than file sharing as in warez, then you said he did this with you...so yes you did say that about him, it is up to him to see if it is worth his time to do anything about it.

5 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

Let it end already.  Let Midnight fall away into Troll ether.  His customers are doing a good enough job roasting him over his most recent failure.

no, you never let a good roast go to waste :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's be straight here @Midnight Modding, you have promised and failed to deliver on this application for a ridiculous amount of time now, surely it was expected that someone would eventually step up and make it. The fact that you are now simply giving up because someone else is making a similar application makes it look like you were just looking for a way to get out of making it and not look like the bad guy.

I gave up on this application a long time ago, if someone is making it or a similar application please let me know, I would be happy to purchase it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

Wrong. You drew that conclusion. I edited it out where easily confused people, such as yourself, won't think that, as well.

good thing i quoted it huh? just cause you edited, doesn't change the fact you implied it and said it.

3 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

Aiwa and jungle are simply proving my point from earlier. This is a support topic. It's not for trolling me or advertising competing apps.

i am not trolling, i am pointing out where you are wrong about things and calling IPS clients and actual 3rd party developers "software pirates". if you are too cowardly to do a full @mention of my name, don't bother to mention me at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CodingJungle said:

good thing i quoted it huh? just cause you edited, doesn't change the fact you implied it and said it.

i am not trolling, i am pointing out where you are wrong about things and calling IPS clients and actual 3rd party developers "software pirates". if you are too cowardly to do a full @mention of my name, don't bother to mention me at all. 

Wrong. You are trolling by your reaction to Aiwa's trolling. Also, I did not say he was "distributing warez". You assuming it was implied is your own fault. Also you're proving my point about the clique mentality, or you would have admitted the truth that it was uncalled for that kevin came in here trolling to begin with. You won't admit it because you side with certain developers. You don't ever have it in you to call out someone in your inner circle.

Edited by Midnight Modding
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

You don't ever have it in you to call out someone in your inner circle.

@HeadStand @Aiwa @Kevin Carwile hey guys, i know you are all agents of your own free will, but i must insist that you STOP doing things I've NOT ASKED you to do, so some people with delusions that i'm a leader of this evil cabal of 3rd party developers who conspire to troll him and have prevented him from from the last 3 years from completing his app and forcing him to break his endless promises of "in a few weeks" and "i'm really serious this time guys".

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

you involved yourself in my support topic discussion.

cause i was afraid that some one might come across your threads, and might actual be convinced that if no one would counter your bad information, with good information, they might think you might know what you are doing. and then when it all fell down around them, they would be discouraged from developing for IPS, which is something i don't want to happen, i want more third party dev's not fewer.

15 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

If you're going to call me out on something, call out who started the discussion.

you did, by posting your mad rambling how you are cancelling this app, cause one of your customers got tired of waiting on you after almost 3 years of broken promises. kevin's reaction is actual quite understandable, if your clients actually saw all your topics in contribs with hundreds of replies of people trying to help you and how you would constantly berate us, argue with us, and tell us how f*ing awesome things would be if you just did them "your way". this failure is a 100% on you, not me, not kevin, not headstand, not aiwa or any one else, just you. you had all the help that many dev's would've love to have had, but don't get. now maybe with you gone, we can concentrate on other dev's who are worth helping.

15 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

I'm trying to get this topic back on track, even though I am probably not releasing a new version of it.

this topic was derailed 3 years ago, when you made your first promise to upgrade this app. you owe a lot of people at least an apology for stringing them along with your lies and you owe a lot of us 3rd party dev's thanks and apologies for giving you endless amounts of help, only for you to spit on us and tell its raining and it was all for not, cause you're butthurt that some one might do a better job than you. suck it up butter cup and welcome to the real world. 

Edited by CodingJungle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...