It depends what you mean by battle. the way the system considers battles is totally separate from tournaments. If you're in a tournament, it's called matches. For actual battles, you win what was paid to join them, rather than a set amount for all battles, I think.

I started changing the setup, already wasted $100 worth of time doing it, and it's extremely frustrating. There is a LOT to do to make that change because as it is now, you pay points to join a tournament, you get them back if you leave the tournament, etc... and so I had to do changes in many areas of files and also I was making it where teams of 1 member would also use the points from the members table. I may have to change the entire setup and it's going to likely have bugs so I am not sure what I am going to do now. This app was meant for team tournaments, so everything related to individual ones has caused it to be a big headache. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to change it right now and increasing likelihood of bugs when probably almost nobody will use it that way.

I think what I'm going to do, to cut down on changes and possible bugs, is only do changes to truly individual ones. For ones where you use teams of 1 member, you just won't be able to have tournaments cost, you'll just have to do individual tournaments instead of ones with teams of 1 member if you ant them to use points/credits to join. Or they'd have to win tournaments that are free to earn the credits to join paid ones or something. It's really a mess no matter how I do it because it requires changes that aren't quick.

I think I fixed it, but it's so much changing I'll have to test it some other day before releasing.

What I did is for individual tournaments and battles ONLY, NOT for 1 member teams, they can use points they have as a member to join INDIVIDUAL tournaments or battles. It can use the built in system or one such as a standalone points system.

For team ones, it is staying the same, though. So 1 member teams won't be able to join anything unless they won points from some tournament. It's way too much trouble to change this for 1 member teams than it was for 1 member individual tournaments. And team ones were always meant to be set up where members pay their points to join the TEAMS and THEN the teams use those team points to join tournaments. I only changed individual ones because it made no sense how I had individual ones set up.

Also, I noticed I did not even have this refunding people their points for canceled battles! So I added that in, both for teams and individuals, where it refunds them the points used to join the battle, if the battle is canceled. Of course for teams, it still uses team points, though, not a members type of point system.

Also, the way battles WAS set up, if you won a battle you got back your entry fee, the opponent's entry fee and that's it for team points. Then for member points you got those points from the ACP setting for battles. I now changed it where for member points you get BOTH types.

I may need to change it again, though. I am not sure if the team should get the entry fees PLUS the ACP setting for battle points, or if they should get only the entry fees and then individual members get only the other type.

So the bottom line here is this is a huge mess and there are so many points in this app, there's just now ay to make it simple. I had to waste hours of time changing this just where it's at least somewhat making sense. I had to make it take points from the individuals table and give it to members in case some already won points, since it was stored in a different place until now. Sigh.

Just updating, based on how it works for tournaments, I changed battles to where it will give all points to both the team row and the member rows. It may be kind of weird that for teams your team gets points AND you as a member get the same number also, whereas for individual tournaments only the member gets them, but all along, for whatever reason, I decided that teams who win matches get points back for both the team and for the user.

If anyone wants it any different way, they can either suggest it for when I make a ip.suite 4 version of this app or they could pay me to do it custom, but otherwise this is likely the last version to be released for 3.x and they'll just have to use the points setup how it is in this soon to be released version.

Also, if someone badly wants to be able to use points from the members table for one member teams (not individual tournaments, but actual team ones with 1 member teams) they could pay me to add a feature to "donate points to team", where then whether you have 1 member or many members you could donate them to the team and then use them.

In fact, after all this changing I am starting to wonder if I should just redo it again and make it where you can donate them to yourself for individual ones, but that really would be kind of dumb, whereas for teams it makes more sense and really you shouldn't use 1 member teams, anyway... it should just be individual ones with usernames. So I guess I should just leave it as (in this version I just made) it is and hopefully people will be happy enough.

Changed again. For team battles you only get the original cost (doubled) back for your team row and then your team row and member rows all get the total from the ACP setting. For individual battles, you get it back in both places, since you actually did use points from the members table to enter it.

So now it is more consistent. On every type of tournament and battle, you'll get points added or subtracted based on the win/loss settings, both for your team row and member rows. For battles it's the same way for win/loss points. But your team row also gets the entry fees and your member row does not, unless it's an individual battle.

By the way, the reason there is a global setting for battle win/loss points is because there is no tournament creator! Random teams would be entering it 4824576768 points. There is no authority over battles. So that has to be a global setting. For tournaments, there is a tournament creator, not involved in matches, so it's fair for that creator to enter a total they can win. It's not fair for people in battles determining how many points they will get. All that is fair for them to determine is an entry fee where BOTH are risking losing that many points.

So I think this version will all be fair and solve the issue for individual tournaments and battles. I already noticed bugs in the code, though,...

By the way, I go all out trying to prevent sneaky people. For some point totals I allow them to be set to negatives, such as if an admin wants to give points where they are normally taken. But for battles I make sure they enter a cost above zero where they can't have it give them points for joining. lol

I'm finishing custom work at the same time, so I don't know when I can test it, since I also have to test the other version. Features can't be added in immediately any time someone wants one, it takes time sometimes. This was not exactly a bug fix, it was just changing a feature to be more sensible. It technically works in the existing version, it's just that it isn't using a forum points system exactly.

Really the only way I can test it is first test my custom version and then uninstall it and install this version, so it depends on when I am finished with the custom version. If I gave it to you without testing, most likely it will have bugs, I am guessing.

Okay.. I'll wait

The way it works now, for individual tournaments with a cost, the members can only join if they create 1-member team and the cost of joining team will then become team points and be used to join individual tournaments?

Btw, it would be nice if you could add battle and matches in notification settings, because for now, there is only inline notification.. and if one does not visit the board he won't know he has been challenged. For now, there are only 3 settings in notification options:

Notify me when my tournament status changes  
Notify me when I am invited to tournaments  
Notify me when my team status changes

In the version released on here, I don't think you could even do it with 1 member on teams because I believe I have it where the person who makes the team doesn't pay any points, so the only way the teas get points, other than winning them, is if members join their teams. But when I release the updated one, it will work for individual ones, but still 1 member teams wouldn't because it would be way too much trouble adding it to teams with  member, when people can just sue individual ones not teams instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No not updated for 4.0 yet. As far as the other app, though, it costs more than this, while you say this price is steep. I haven't looked at it enough to know much about it, though.

​As long as you follow IPS4 node container + content item conventions when developing the 4.0 version of Tournaments, then GC will be able to allow member groups to collaborate and manage their own tournaments.

For example, if you create categories to contain tournaments using the standard IPS4 node model principle, and then build tournaments as content items that can be added to tournament categories, then it will inherently be compatible with GC.

​As long as you follow IPS4 node container + content item conventions when developing the 4.0 version of Tournaments, then GC will be able to allow member groups to collaborate and manage their own tournaments.

For example, if you create categories to contain tournaments using the standard IPS4 node model principle, and then build tournaments as content items that can be added to tournament categories, then it will inherently be compatible with GC.

​I'm unsure still exactly what that app does, though. Tournaments are normally set up where one person adds a tournament and manages it. I don't see how a system could even work where an entire group of people are managing a tournament.

GC allows members to create "collaborative groups" on an IPS4 site. A collab group functions like its own ips4 suite inside of the main ips4 site. Members can join or leave the group and can have their own roles inside the group.

Any of the apps installed to the main site which are used to create content can be designated for collaborative use so that groups can use them inside their group just like a site admin uses those apps on their main site.

In the case of tournaments, lets say that you design the app so that each tournament is actually just a special type of content item that regular members can create inside tournament categories that you set up from the ACP

A site admin would then be able to designate your tournaments app for collaborative use through GC which would allow a group to set up their own tournament categories which they could use to manage tournaments inside their group.

GC allows members to create "collaborative groups" on an IPS4 site. A collab group functions like its own ips4 suite inside of the main ips4 site. Members can join or leave the group and can have their own roles inside the group.

Any of the apps installed to the main site which are used to create content can be designated for collaborative use so that groups can use them inside their group just like a site admin uses those apps on their main site.

In the case of tournaments, lets say that you design the app so that each tournament is actually just a special type of content item that regular members can create inside tournament categories that you set up from the ACP

A site admin would then be able to designate your tournaments app for collaborative use through GC which would allow a group to set up their own tournament categories which they could use to manage tournaments inside their group.

​oh ok, I think I understand now. Is it sort of like a private group of people using the app away from everyone else, where only their group participates in that particular iteration of the app? kind of like the apps are each broken down into separate iterations of themselves for various separate groups to have their own separate mini-app of sorts? Or am I still misunderstanding?

​oh ok, I think I understand now. Is it sort of like a private group of people using the app away from everyone else, where only their group participates in that particular iteration of the app? kind of like the apps are each broken down into separate iterations of themselves for various separate groups to have their own separate mini-app of sorts? Or am I still misunderstanding?

​Nope, you nailed it.