Community

Edit: i played around with your app some more and i belive i figured it out kinda. Bracket is used for 1v1 or teamvteam elimiation style fixed maches. im still not sure what the ladder style is exatly nor league

Edit 2: im geting errors i can't figure out such as to early reg end or tournament end. Example:

Registration Start July 1, 2014

Registration End July 7, 2014

Tournament Start Augest 2, 2014

Tournament End December 25, 2014

System Error

Your registration times must be sooner than your tournament times

I purchased your app, and have some questions

Bracket, Ladder, League, Match Style

The requirement to create a tournament before adding any of the ones below besides style threw me off

Your definition and how are they used in the app.

My def:

Bracket = Match layout / Schedule

Ladder = A display of everyone who ever competeds skill level starting from BEST to worst

League = Bronze, Silver, Gold etc 'names associated with skill level / ranking'

Match Style = SingleElimiation, Sweedish, Double Elimiation, Round Robin, FFA

Bracket is single/double elimination, ladder is where teams challenge each other rather than a set schedule, league is round robin, match style honestly I don't 100% remember because someone paid to have that added in custom. I'll have to look into that later and remember what examples of that were.

This app is tough because so many people have different definitions and want things many different ways.

The whole scheduling times is yet another area I want to improve and also give more different error messages. The error you got may have been from not including times. The way it converts the dates to store in the database, I don't remember without looking, but it may be messing up if times aren't in, like the format examples below the text boxes.

I worked hard to get a lot of scoring methods in and features, but I always want to improve this a lot, so everyone should give suggestions because when I update it for ip.board 4 I will add them in, although some of you may not upgrade to ip.board 4 for a while.

Oh I remember match style now. One guy wanted teams to do different types of matches, such as one called "hearts" where I think they would have a certain number of hearts and keep playing until someone lost them all. So instead of simply playing one match and submitting scores, they'd play more than one before ever submitting anything. It's just for information purposes, as it does not automatically do anything, it's just there in case you want tot ell members to play a certain TYPE of match.

The error I get is due to the "until start" setting because you have it set for 1 member and 0 reserves so there is no way to change teams around because 1. nobody can leave a team when it's a 1 person team and 2. even if it was more than 1 member on a team you can't ever let that team go below the strict limit of members if reserves aren't allowed. And when I change it to "never" and use the same times you used, it works, so I'm not sure how you got a time error. I used the same times and settings you had. Was all of this on the add form or edit form?

Oh I see the problem. you typed Augest instead of August and it has to be spelled as August for the php to convert it properly. But once you spell it that way, you'll get that other error I mentioned unless you either change the changes setting to never or change reserves to be above 0.

The way it currently works is if a team is in a tournament that says "never" then that team can't change their team at all (such as adding or removing members) even for other tournaments.

The error I get is due to the "until start" setting because you have it set for 1 member and 0 reserves so there is no way to change teams around because 1. nobody can leave a team when it's a 1 person team and 2. even if it was more than 1 member on a team you can't ever let that team go below the strict limit of members if reserves aren't allowed. And when I change it to "never" and use the same times you used, it works, so I'm not sure how you got a time error. I used the same times and settings you had. Was all of this on the add form or edit form?

Add form

Alright lol cant believe i misspelled it.

I am geting that i don't have permissions to view tourmaments on front end even through i'm admin

Ive scoured the backend for permissions for the tournament app and cant fine any besides rescriting who can signup

Are regular members capable of creating and managing their own tournaments, or is it only limited to Administrators via the ACP? Currently, the members on my forum host their own non-team based tournaments on a frequent basis by utilizing a mere forum upon the board dedicated to Tournaments. If these users were able to utilize the many features of this application, without the need of an Administrator to create/manage their non-team (individual user based) tournaments, this would be an investment worth making for me.

This would be a perfect example for what I'm referring to: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238945

Unfortunately, a tournament app resembling this one isn't available for IPB, but I'd be willing to invest in this Tournament mod for IPB if it had similar features.

Right now, it doesn't. It's only through the ACP. The tournaments themselves. They can challenge each other (ladder) onb the public end, but the tournament itself has to be started in the ACP. Also for individuals, they still have to make a "1 member team" the way it's currently set up. SO it's not really "teams" if only 1 member, but that's the way it's set. In the future I will probably change that, but likely only for ip.board 4 unless someone pays me to add it for 3.4 before I start working on the 4.0 one. I don't really want to come back to working on this for 3.4, once I am close to releasing 4.0 versions. As far as the ACP part, I had thought before about putting that on the public side too, but it didn't seem like enough people wanted it to be worth the time and some people don't like the option even being there to do too much on the public side since the acp will always be extra secure compared to the public side. Or I could make a totally different app as a custom app exactly how someone wants, but that could get rpicey.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a suggestion, not so much a feature but a layout change. Rather than have all the same "blocks" for example on the ladder/tournament home page, keep the navigation block on the left like you already have, make the center blocks consist of all the teams participating or standings. Then add a third column for the other tournament information. (See pic example).

The pic is just a crappy photoshop drawing, but you should get an idea. I think this look would be more appealing and give the player a better experience when the information is in a better order.

That would probably be good. I'm not sure how many people would like a three column layout, but I know ip.board 3.4 has a class built in for that type of layout, so obviously some people like it for some areas and I am definitely thinking I am always trying to find a way to better display information for some of my apps because there is so much of it! I'm only releasing one more version for ip.board 3.4, though, and it would be 0, except someone is having me add some custom features which should mostly end up in the public app. After that I am going to need to be concentrating on just ip.board 4. It's possible I could add this in, since it would probably not take over a few minutes to add in, but I'm not sure if I want to do it for 3.4 or not.

That's the main thing I keep wanting to do is improve brackets. Personally I do like it to look more simple than that, though, but still I want it to look like a bracket. One person on here paid someone to do a custom job to make it look similar to that way, but I am still unsure if I could even use his in the app. I doubt I could, since I sell this. I'm not good at designing, so I have to figure it out, but I definitely plan to improve it and also probably will put scores on it like that, since someone requested it, but when, I'm not sure. I will at least TRY to improve it for this next (and final) version for 3.4 that is coming out in a week or two.

Anyone who wanted lineups/rosters/whatever in the past, how would you be using them? If you have team matches, would you then break it down into person vs. person and then use results as the final score of the match as a whole? I'm not sure if some people use them differently and if some may even do their whole tournaments differently in how they come to a finals core for the match.

• 2 weeks later...

Great app, although does look a little dull in places - just lots of tables and text. Dont know if the below is possible?

tournaments.jpg

add another column under team list + standings for the teams logo. Would just make it look less dull - like it is currently on the team listings page.

Under upcoming schedule...

stop the team names being truncated. Also, have the scheduled matches ordered by date. Looks wierd having them all over the place, and isnt very user friendly.

Even better still, on the upcoming schedule, limit it to say the next 2 or 3 matches, using bigger team logos:

tournaments2.jpg

Would probably have to add an automatic re-size feature somehow, as I've found with team logo's too big, they looks terrible elsewhere (team listing, team page iirc)