You must have put the tournament start an earlier time than registration start. The earliest time has to be registration start. Then for ladders registration finish can be anything as long as it's after registration start time, but not after tournament end time. For non-ladders, the tournament start time has to be later than registration end time, since those have all their matches set up at the start of the tournament.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah ok, working now cheers!

also, the match topic creation should be an option set by the tournament itself.

If you're running multiple tournaments it can be quite messy trying to find your match thread, especially if there are 4 divisions and over 10 teams per division.

yes I thought about doing that.

In fact I may change it to that for this version release next week. Except the setting for which forum it goes to should probably be left global. Or if I really feel like improving it even more maybe I would make it where the admin chooses "allowed" forums and then the tournament creator can select any of those.

Not sure which would be best. I think most likely MOST admins are going to want them all in the same forum, aren't they? I thought well maybe some admins will have different forums for different types of tournaments, but really that's more work for probably hardly any admins.

But anyway I may at least allow it per tournament. :smile: That would help a lot and then the only real thing bothering me about auto topics will be for round robin how it makes topics for ALL of the seasonof games at once! If I do it per tournament at least you could disable match topics for it if it's round robin where you don't have a ton at once. Hmm.

edit: oh ok you're talking about having a separate forum too where it's easier to find. The thing is, that adds mroe complication because like I said the admin would have tos et allowed forums so I would have to add a field to the forums table and have the admin select which are allowed. ALthough.... right now tournaments can only be added via the ACP so I guess anyone with access would be allowed to put them anywhere and if the root admin doesnt like it he could change them to not be an admin anymore.

well it'd work similar to how threads are created for ip.download/ip.content.

when you are configuring the tournament there should be an option to select the forum you would like threads to be posted to.

an example of structure:

Competition Name (Category)

- Season 1 (Sub Category)

-- Division 1 (Forum)

-- Division 2 (Forum)

-- Division 3 (Forum)

the above method is much easier/organised than a single category/forum containing every match thread.

if admins want all their match threads to be in the same forum then all they need to do is select the same forum from a drop down list?

Hmm I am deciding whether or not to toss in a feature improving round robin or justw ait until I can totally redo it to allow for divisions and whatnot. I was thinking of adding a setting when you first start the tournament where for each scheduled match it could add x hours to the scheduled time and then force you to finish one before moving on to the next one where it would be mroe like a real league. Ina real league you can't just randomly play your season in any order you want after it's started and been scheduled!

I will probably just wait.... and go straight to working on version 2.0.0 next and in that i could improve round robin greatly by making it mroe like a real league and seasons and all of that. If anyone has ideas, please let me know. I am probably going to make 2.0.0 require ip.board 3.4 though rather than having to doe xtra coding to have it still work with 3.3. I think this year 4.0 will be out so I can';t ekep worryign with support for 3.3 when soon even 3.4 will be too old.

Hmm I am deciding whether or not to toss in a feature improving round robin or justw ait until I can totally redo it to allow for divisions and whatnot. I was thinking of adding a setting when you first start the tournament where for each scheduled match it could add x hours to the scheduled time and then force you to finish one before moving on to the next one where it would be mroe like a real league. Ina real league you can't just randomly play your season in any order you want after it's started and been scheduled!

I will probably just wait.... and go straight to working on version 2.0.0 next and in that i could improve round robin greatly by making it mroe like a real league and seasons and all of that. If anyone has ideas, please let me know. I am probably going to make 2.0.0 require ip.board 3.4 though rather than having to doe xtra coding to have it still work with 3.3. I think this year 4.0 will be out so I can';t ekep worryign with support for 3.3 when soon even 3.4 will be too old.

If your going down this road I suggest looking at joomleague.net

The next version will be released at least by Friday. I was thinking of adding the overall leaderboard in if I have time, but I'm not sure because I have to decide which stats to show on it and won't have time to keep switching it back and forth between various content types. Do other tournament-related apps usually have any aprticular overall leaderboard? (for the app, not just the individual tournament listings).

Also, I wonder if many want any sort of roster setting in the future. In the past most didn't care about having it. Only one or two wanted it.

I technically have it on a test site, but not too dieal letting many people use it there. i have a license I am not even using so I could use that license and be "allowed" to have members join, but it's just not ideal. I can put it on the midnightmodding site ocne i set that all up, but I am not going to give acp access.

Okay... Then, a few questions :

1. May I use this for "normal contests", which aren't tournaments, so with just a deadline, and every participant giving back his participation before that deadline ? So something without matches (or maybe you could just call that one singular match)
  2. Is it possible to display tournament messages, that people who will see this tournament will be able to read ? Something like the rules, theme, and everything, for each tournament.
  3. When someone clicks to participate to a tournament, is it possible to ask him a few infos ? For example, his disponibilities.
  4. Is it possible to set per-tournament criterias, for example "Must have posted at least 5 messages" ?
  5. When do you plan to publish the version 2.0.0 ? Will it also work with 3.3.x ?

Many thanks for your answers, and sorry for my bad english :)

1. I don't think so, unless I am misunderstanding. You basically have teams (or individual members) involved in matches, enter who won and scores (if it uses scores), and then someoen is marked as winning or losing. You could technically use it in otehr ways, though, than true tournaments, but you do have to mark a winner and then one team wins and one loses for that match.
  2. yes, you can enter rules which at this time is shown at the top of the tournament page under the title.
  3. well, at this point people don't really apply to tournaments. It allows anyone in who fits the tournament criteria. for joining teams, you must apply and be accepted. You can make a tournament "invite only" where only invited teams can get in, but the only real way to ask them things would be to PM them or make a topicm, I guess. I probably should make a feature to require approval.
  4. There is a lot of criteria. Not yet post count. If you use a point system you can require x opoints to join a tournament and then a team can gain points by charging memebrs to join the team. I can add post count at some point.
  5. It will probably be a few months, I am guessing. I am releasing 1.3.0 today and then the next one may be 2.0.0, but I need a break as I have released a ton of features lately. Also I am guessing it will require ip.board 3.4. If enough people need it for 3.3, I may allow it, but I'm not sure yet. Also, when ip.board 4.0 coems out (I think this year) I will; have to start supporting only that version becasue most likely many changes will be needed and I am not going to keep updating old versions. I already have this updated a lot and at some point some versions have to stop being supported on the newer versions of the app.

After I release 1.3.0 people ened to make suggestions such as these and maybe bold them or something else to make them stand out where I can easily see them all for the next release.

1. Hum... Then I'd suggest to also give the possibility to make, I'd say, hum... "normal contests", but it's as you wish.
  2. May I have a screen of the way they are displayed ? With a long formatted message if possible :/
  3. Yeah, maybe you should let admins the possibility to use custom fields. Would help if an approval is required.
  4. Point = reputation, right ? Oh, BTW, another idea, but I suppose maybe to complicated would be to use an ibEconomy integration, so that winners gain ibEconomy points, and so that, to participate, you could make people pay with their points.
  5. Okay, I see... Well, to bad. Regarding IPB 4.x, I really hope it won't be published this year. I'm using Invision Power products since less than a year, and upgrading to a 4.0 would be very costly, and would require skin and application changes, which I won't afford, for the moment... But anyway, that's not the topic, sorry xD

ibeconomy is what I meant by points, not rep. Basically any point system similar to ibeconomy. The points used to actually join the tournaments themselves are points from this ap, but the way teams get points in this app is to use something such as ibeconomy and members pay those points to join the team, which then gets added to the "team points" an then those can be used to join the tournaments and yes the winner can be given points.l Baiscally the tournament creator tells how many points they can win, so it is not related to how many poitns were paid to join. Also the team points paid to join don't really go to anyone. I could have amde it where they go to the tournament creator, but not sure if anyone would want it that way.

Well you will always be able to use some version of the app on 3.3, so it's not like you have to update to 4.0 when ip.board comes out. It's just whatever new features are in versions supported only by 4.0 would not be in the app, but this version 1.3.0 will be fine for most sites, anyway.

I will do a screenshot of it when I get time.

The winner does get points, but it's just a predetermiend amount instead of a pot of those paid in. I may change it later on, though. Also i forget if the team gets the points or if members do or both. Seems like i did it where each member gets points, plus the team does. I ened to look all into that again and think of the best way of handling it. I guess it makes more sense for only the team as a whole to win them, but also it is good for members to be able to gain points which show on the forums, so not sure.

Version 1.3.0 has now been released.

Some of the changes include:

• co-leaders
  • disputes (only via auto topics for now)
  • team abbreviations allowed
  • integation with ip.board's search feature (tournaments, teams, and categories)
  • ability to challenge teams below you, if allowed, on a ladder
  • a setting to allow multiple matches at once
  • topic starter for new matches can be the tournament creator or the match challenger
  • description field for tournaments
  • many bug fixes
  • more

Coming from someone who has used this application before -- I can assuredly say that it's not worth the $50 bucks it costs, including the $24 annual subscription that backs it, costing more than hosting a site for only a year...

For those curious, the tournament mod is set on a ladder and bracket function. It would be best for video games like Call of Duty where you can put in teams and then go head to head to see who wins. You place the groups in line, but the system is entirely buggy in doing so and there's no mod-help once you've wasted your money.

Inputting image data doesn't work the first time and has to be edited to get it to change, once it's set already. There's no size comparisons or examples for what to use, so you will spend 20 minutes trying to edit an image to fit for one type of combat or style of tournament.

It's clunky with it's wording and poorly, 'technically' written - to where trying to use the system is more of a headache than useful.

You have to have exact team numbers that are divisible by four. Four, eight, twelve, sixteen, etc -- otherwise, you can't have a tournament held at all. If you have seven people sign up, you have to kick out three of them because the tournament wont work otherwise.

Also, all of the values have to be hand-added instead of having a functional check-system, if you wanted to have thread battles or roleplaying combat.

All of this is to say that we didn't ever get a tournament off the ground because the mod didn't function properly in the end.

Tsk...

Hope that's a good enough review for those of you looking to blow 50 bucks.

Please show where there was any report of any bug whatsoever and "no help".

The image issue and many other bugs has/have been fixed for a long time. That bug in particular was fixed i 1.2.0 and now we're on 1.3.0.

The app does what the description says, so if anyone wants to use it for something not described, that's simply not what it was designed for. Also i have asked many times for suggestions. If you don't even offer a suggestion, you can't really be surprised it is not added.

If you have 7 join, you simply have to add one bye team where the #1 seed will just be automatically moved to the next round. In "real life" that's the only way you could ever have 7, as well. You MUST have one get a bye because it's impossible for 7 teams to be paired into sets of 2. You would have to have 1 witha bye and then the 3 winners from the other 6 would meet it in the next round. Only way it can be done. It's math and you can't make 7 be an even number so now you're wanting the app to change mathematics.

Also if you think this is buggy, I don't know what you could think of ip.board because every release of that has these same types of bugs and it takes longer to get fixes in most cases. All sofware has bugs at all times. I think I have been very quick to fix any when people are specific about what is happening. I just got told about 2 more bugs and fixed them within literally 5 minutes a little while ago, for example.

Archived