%7Boption%7D

File Name: [HQ] Scrolling Recent Posts

File Submitter: InvisionHQ

File Submitted: 10 Mar 2012

File Category: Utilities

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.4.x

This hook was requested by george_ca at this thread:

http://community.inv...erested-in-ipb/

Anyway, it will show the recent posts at the board index of your forum. You can decide how you would like to show them, static or scrolling.

Install the hook.xml file through Manage Hooks in your Admin Panel and then to configure it go to System Settings where you will see a new setting called NenaDice.

Click on it and configure the hook to your needs. There you can:

1) Enter the title for the recent posts box.

2) Choose the position where to display it. You can display it either on all pages or only at the board index.

3) Set the number of the recent posts that you would like to show.

4) Choose the group/s that you want to restrict from viewing the recent posts at the board index

5) You can exclude posts from a certain forum/forums from showing.

6) Show the recent posts scrolling or not.

7) Decide the speed for scrolling.

Also the permissions will remain intact.

here to download this file

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least specify that so no one else with IP.Content wasted their money, you know? Your hook inappropriately shows on a major IP.Content app that it should not be displaying on. That makes your hook incompatible with many setups. I think people should know that before buying and not being satisfied.

Please allow the author a time to respond. :)

It was tested before its approval although testing it on a board whereby another application is default is slightly beyond the scope of usual testing, given there's a lot of permutations already to test. I checked it worked as described, was safe, included instructions and functioned.

At least specify that so no one else with IP.Content wasted their money, you know? Your hook inappropriately shows on a major IP.Content app that it should not be displaying on. That makes your hook incompatible with many setups. I think people should know that before buying and not being satisfied.

Hi there,

Personally I do not use that application so I had no envirement to test it with that as well. I thought that it was understood that when you buy an item the only thing given is that it works with the default ipb forum. As you can not expect everyone to use the same applications like you do.

In that case you should have asked a pre-sale question like "Hey how would this work with the Ip Content Application?" or something like that to make sure that the hook would be compatible with the applications that you use. But I will update the description that for now it is untested with custom applications until I have a chance to have a further look at this.

Please allow the author a time to respond. :smile:

It was tested before its approval although testing it on a board whereby another application is default is slightly beyond the scope of usual testing, given there's a lot of permutations already to test. I checked it worked as described, was safe, included instructions and functioned.

Thank you Andy :)

Please allow the author a time to respond. :smile:

It was tested before its approval although testing it on a board whereby another application is default is slightly beyond the scope of usual testing,

Being incompatible with an official IPBoard application, like IP.Content is no small issue. It's not just another app. It's an official IPBoard app--the one Invision promotes heavily on their front page.

At least my review was approved, so at least people are warned now that this hook will not work properly (will display on both ip.content and the forum index) if IP.Content is your home page. I'll see what paypal will do for me on the wasted money.

Being incompatible with an [u]official[/u] IPBoard applicaton, like IP.Content is no small issue. It's not just another app. It's an official IPBoard app--the one Invision promotes heavily on their front page.

At least my review was approved, so at least people are warned now that this hook will not work if IP.Content is your home page. I'll see what paypal will do for me on the wasted money.

Be that as it may, you can not expect that everyone uses all the official or otherwise applications. Or to use whatever applications you do. The hook does exactly what it says at the description. And there is no rule that every hook should be compatible with all the applications. So please get the facts staright.

And saying it is not working with the Ip Content is a strong word. Not to mention the fact that you should have asked first. About getting a refund your reason is completely unfounded. When you go to a shop to buy something you ask questions first and do not buy things assuming with arrogance that everyone is using the same set up as you.

Your hook is not supposed to display on IP.Content. Your hook is only supposed to display on the Forum Board Index. Your hook does something extra that it's not supposed to.

Should I have also asked if the hook displays in IP.Downloads? Should I have asked if the hook displays in IP.Chat? This is silly. No one would expect a Forum index hook to display in IP.Content (or ip.downloads, or ip.chat, or any other app). I should ask if your hook displays in IP.Blogs? Where does it end?

Fine, disputed in Paypal.

Your hook is not supposed to display on IP.Content. Your hook is only supposed to display on the Forum Board Index. Your hook does something extra that it's not supposed to.

Should I have also asked if the hook displays in IP.Downloads? Should I have asked if the hook displays in IP.Chat? This is silly. No one would expect a Forum index hook to display in IP.Content (or ip.downloads, or ip.chat, or any other app). I should ask if your hook displays in IP.Blogs? Where does it end?

Check the title, it says: Recent Posts Board Index. The key word here being BOARD INDEX. And yes, you should ask a presale question/s before you buy a hook, mor and/or anything else.

Please don't do that as it can cause problems here due to Paypal's charges as it would come from IPS. We can usually handle these things without that being initiated.

Contact a MP moderator directly if you wish us to pass a refund request on.

It works great, except if you have IP.Content set as your home page (lnstead of Board index), the Recent Topics hook displays on the forum board index AND the IP.Content main page. See attached image.

post-208680-0-93808900-1331957686_thumb.

Try the new package. Now I added an extra option to display it on every page or on the board index only. Make sure to choose the board index at teh drop down setting.

And next time, try to ask first before you purchase something.

Try the new package. Now I added an extra option to display it on every page or on the board index only. Make sure to choose the board index at teh drop down setting.

That does work, thank you. I do appreciate you fixing the bug in this hook that broke IP.Content.

And next time, try to ask first before you purchase something.

I should not have to ask if your hook will break a major, official IP.Board application. I've installed other hooks that appear on the forum index and they did not break IP.Content.

We should not have to ask each hook maker before we buy: will this break IP.Chat? Will this break IP.Content? Will this break IP.Downloads? I mean, seriously? The whole integrity of the hooks system would then be in question.

The issue here is your hook appeared in TWO separate IP.Board official apps. It appeared in both IP.Content and IPBoard itself (the forums). It was clearly a bug. Yet, I was not able to successfully convey that. So I give up on arguing this, mostly because you made the issue moot by fixing the bug. I do appreciate you fixing this bug.

That does work, thank you. I do appreciate you fixing the bug in this hook that broke IP.Content.

I should not have to ask if your hook will break a major, official IP.Board application. I've installed other hooks that appear on the forum index and they did not break IP.Content.

We should not have to ask each hook maker before we buy: will this break IP.Chat? Will this break IP.Content? Will this break IP.Downloads? I mean, seriously? The whole integrity of the hooks system would then be in question.

The issue here is your hook appeared in TWO separate IP.Board official apps. It appeared in both IP.Content and IPBoard itself (the forums). It was clearly a bug. Yet, I was not able to successfully convey that. So I give up on arguing this, mostly because you made the issue moot by fixing the bug. I do appreciate you fixing this bug.

You are welcome. However I want to emphasise that it did not break the Ip Content. What the hook did was that it appeared at the IP Content page as well which is not the same as breaking it. Breaking something means that it causes errors and issues which was not the case here :smile:

Anyway, would you mind leaving another review that now it does what you want at the Ip Content?

P.s. Some other users want it to appear everywhere, like the guy I originally coded it for. But now both options are available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The hook has been updated with the extra option of showing the recent posts scrolling.

Nena - The Restricted groups isn't working. I only want guests to see it. I made it so only guests were NOT highlighted.

everyone could still see it.

I purchased and downloaded this morning around 9:30am (which I'm assuming is after you put the new files out)

post-279870-0-80013600-1358437173.jpg

post-279870-0-02890200-1358437185_thumb.

Nena - The Restricted groups isn't working. I only want guests to see it. I made it so only guests were NOT highlighted.

everyone could still see it.

I purchased and downloaded this morning around 9:30am (which I'm assuming is after you put the new files out)

attachicon.gifSettings.jpg

attachicon.gifShowing_Member_Can_See_It.jpg

Can you please re-download the newly updated package and install it again? But first uninstall the old one. And please let me know how it will go.

Archived