Community

Hello,

First, don't misunderstand, I am not blaming you application. I recognize many of my problems come form my inexperience. With that said, I purchase this application several months back and I seem to have difficulty using it. At that time I did not have time to deal with the problems.

You made correction in my ACP, FTP a couple of times. Once you got it up and running, I did not have time to mess something else up, so I kind of set it aside. Now I would like to learn to use this application to it's full potential. Once again I seem to have messed something up and I don not understand what or why this happen:

I have a category containing RSS Feeds, which only Admins can see. I use these feeds to update content on my board. Essentially I sort and categorize these feeds into the correct board category and forum topics. I was using the standard I.P.board RSS Management to accomplish this and for the most part this was working fine.

I opened up some new forums and thought I would use your application to feed these topics. Now for some reason the above Admin category does not appear on the front side. Does I.P.board RSS Management and Your RSS Management interfere with each other? Do I have to have disabled one to use the other?

Thank you

Rick

Hello Rick,

You will need to use the RSS output conversion tool. This does indeed enhance/replace the default feed in the forums footer.

However, I will look towards updating this dynamically where available with data hooks in a future version If a feed group has been created and the item does not exist, as well as removing dynamically.

[IPB 3.4.5, RSS v1.0.9]

Hi, I could not find a tracker for this on your main site so reporting a bug here:

I am required to hit the edit button on each imported RSS post in order to clean up the formatting. That's it, literally just hitting the edit button. If I hit edit and then save, then the formatting looks ok and the "View Full Article" url switches to "no follow", as desired.

I checked with inspect element, and sure enough "no follow" magically appeared next to href after hitting the edit button. As far as the font type and size, I had to hit the edit button to make things consistent as well (even though I have preserve HTML set to off).

This bug happens with or without the setting "RSS Import Preserve HTML".

I will have to break backwards compatibility to fix this realistically, <=3.3.x does not provide the tools I need to resolve this issue fully. To confirm, the issue is that the HTML is preserved regardless of this setting?

I will have to break backwards compatibility to fix this realistically, <=3.3.x does not provide the tools I need to resolve this issue fully. To confirm, the issue is that the HTML is preserved regardless of this setting?

I don't fully understand what's going on and it's not a big deal, it just takes some of the automated appeal out of it. I'm still a loyal customer.

I suppose you described it correctly, that it is porting the direct HTML regardless of the setting, which would explain why the links are coming in without nofollow and that I'm getting all sorts of fonts and sizes.

I actually made a video of it but didn't keep it because it seemed a bit insulting to show a video where something can be explained quite plainly. But I can set up some dummy feeds and make another video of it if you are having trouble reproducing the problem and would like to see it. I don't mind, I would just do it in a hidden forum.

If you say you don't have the tools, then that's good enough for me. Note that this problem did not exist on 3.3.4. My feed was down for a full year and I just now upgraded to 3.4.5 and set this one up, which is why it was easy to see the formatting discrepancy. Maybe we'll have better luck in 4.x.

But just talking aloud with feeble pseudocode, there must be some way to automate the process of [edit post > save post] after an input feed is streamed to a topic? If the stream takes a few more seconds to load then no big deal?

Edit: re-reading your post I see that you meant that you actually do have the tools but that you might have to release separate versions then. To that I would say that it might be worth the work. I am barely affected by this bug since I only use one feed which posts about every week, but for those with multiple feeds, I can imagine they'd want something fully automated.

I don't fully understand what's going on and it's not a big deal, it just takes some of the automated appeal out of it. I'm still a loyal customer.

I suppose you described it correctly, that it is porting the direct HTML regardless of the setting, which would explain why the links are coming in without nofollow and that I'm getting all sorts of fonts and sizes.

I actually made a video of it but didn't keep it because it seemed a bit insulting to show a video where something can be explained quite plainly. But I can set up some dummy feeds and make another video of it if you are having trouble reproducing the problem and would like to see it. I don't mind, I would just do it in a hidden forum.

If you say you don't have the tools, then that's good enough for me. Note that this problem did not exist on 3.3.4. My feed was down for a full year and I just now upgraded to 3.4.5 and set this one up, which is why it was easy to see the formatting discrepancy. Maybe we'll have better luck in 4.x.

But just talking aloud with feeble pseudocode, there must be some way to automate the process of [edit post > save post] after an input feed is streamed to a topic? If the stream takes a few more seconds to load then no big deal?

Edit: re-reading your post I see that you meant that you actually do have the tools but that you might have to release separate versions then. To that I would say that it might be worth the work. I am barely affected by this bug since I only use one feed which posts about every week, but for those with multiple feeds, I can imagine they'd want something fully automated.

I need to fairly rewrite the entire application for so many reasons, this is but one. This is an application that really seriously needs an abstraction layer at this point, and I simply did not think ahead when building it in regards to pluggable(aka, keep the per-application handling without duplicating the rest of the code) and central maintenance of items like this. I am working on it.

Hi,

Not sure if this is a limitation with Content or if I need to tweak your app, but I need to be able to reduce the amount of data in RSS feeds from articles and records.

Essentially the entire article or record (page) is sent out via RSS meaning it is very easy for someone to republish our entire site. Not ideal.

I do not think the output is a template, therefore is there an easy way to amend by perhaps using {IPSText::truncate( < content >, 100 )}

Thanks.

At install there is a field named "Duplicate Tables" where i have to choose between:

• Skip - Dont create those tables
  • Drop original tables and overwrite

What supose to do first and what do second choise? Nowere is explained.....

Thank you very much!

I have a problem. I installed the this app and it says it installed correctly. It also shows up as installed on the application list. But there's no menu under "other apps", so I can't work with it.

What am I missing? I followed the steps outlined.

I got that fixed at least, but now its just saying

"

System Error

[#1004] You do not have permission to access this page"

On the topic and database import.

Despite having set my account to full access for the RSS management app.

Do they require anything else?

I got that fixed at least, but now its just saying

"
System Error
[#1004] You do not have permission to access this page"

On the topic and database import.

Despite having set my account to full access for the RSS management app.

Do they require anything else?

Are all permission boxes checked for the app and all modules/subitems?

Hi,

Not sure if this is a limitation with Content or if I need to tweak your app, but I need to be able to reduce the amount of data in RSS feeds from articles and records.

Essentially the entire article or record (page) is sent out via RSS meaning it is very easy for someone to republish our entire site. Not ideal.

I do not think the output is a template, therefore is there an easy way to amend by perhaps using {IPSText::truncate( < content >, 100 )}

Thanks.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

That has absolutely nothing to do with this mod, honestly. However, the file in question would be adminapplications_addonipsccsextensionsrssOutput.php

http://feedburner.google.com/ fixed it :smile:

It works now. But how do you import as seperate topics? And import it so it's only new ones it posts, not the old ones?

You would use the in-built import tool from your Admin Panel > Forums > RSS Management > RSS Import to create separate topics for each feed item. This modification does add functionality there as well, for seamless ATOM support.

That has absolutely nothing to do with this mod, honestly. However, the file in question would be adminapplications_addonipsccsextensionsrssOutput.php

You would use the in-built import tool from your Admin Panel > Forums > RSS Management > RSS Import to create separate topics for each feed item. This modification does add functionality there as well, for seamless ATOM support.

But when I use the topic import, it makes it's own thread for everything, instead of making new topics for each news. Database import doesn't have any option to put into a specific forum.

So I have honestly searched around for this and can not find the answer.

Will this Application allow the display of the image supplied by the RSS feed?

For example I am trying to get gaming news (via a RSS feed) to show on one of my IP Content Pages. As of now the generic IPB feed reader (for IP Content) will pull an display everything but the image.

In the end I want it to look something like the attached image.

post-518427-0-64362500-1395802454_thumb.

So I have honestly searched around for this and can not find the answer.

Will this Application allow the display of the image supplied by the RSS feed?

For example I am trying to get gaming news (via a RSS feed) to show on one of my IP Content Pages. As of now the generic IPB feed reader (for IP Content) will pull an display everything but the image.

In the end I want it to look something like the attached image.

Yes, it does. Use an 'XML Feed' Block instead of an RSS feed, and use the RSS content type. I hit the same issue, classRss does not return enclosure/extraneous data in the results array, thus I made that feed use classXml directly to pull out all the data for use in a block.

You will need to likely do some templating to show the image and get it laid out how you want, but the data is present for use, where it won't be in an RSS Feed block provided the same URL.

Yes, it does. Use an 'XML Feed' Block instead of an RSS feed, and use the RSS content type. I hit the same issue, classRss does not return enclosure/extraneous data in the results array, thus I made that feed use classXml directly to pull out all the data for use in a block.

You will need to likely do some templating to show the image and get it laid out how you want, but the data is present for use, where it won't be in an RSS Feed block provided the same URL.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Any tips for the templating? I am somebody who is very good a reading, understanding, and proofreading code, but when it comes to actually writing it things go horribly wrong....

OK, I am having an interesting issue with this application. When I grant permissions for other users to use the app within the ACP, they are met with a message of:

System Error

[#1004] You do not have permission to access this page

They only see this error on the Topic Imports and Database Imports section. And I have it set to allow access on everything in the Admin Restrictions.

Any ideas?