Cool Idea for Upgrading...

Weatherz

Well, a lot of us customers already have boards, and want to be able to just simply upload the new files for things such as Beta 1 to Beta 2. It seems pointless to reupload every single file, when it really isn't neccesary.

I was thinking that there could be two folders in the download, one for first time installing, and one for upgrading so those of us who already have a board and just want to upgrade.

The first time upload folder would have everything, and the Upgrade folder would just have the specific files that were updated.

It would make upgrading a lot faster, and take out the hassle of replacing every file and waiting for that to be done.

Post your thoughts on this, as I would think many would agree with me.

They used to do that. Unfortunately, as Rimi pointed out, some people could not read the directions and the support would have to go fix their sites for them.

Then they could add a separate file clearly marking the fact that it is only for upgrading?

It seems pointless to reupload every single file, when it really isn't neccesary.

It would be pointless if you dragged every single file, or even every folder over. However is is much simpler than that.

Open the uploads folder and do a [CONTROL][A]

Drag everything over.

They did, and invariably, someone would apply a X.X.3 to X.X.4 upgrade pack to a X.X.1 install... or even worse they would apply the upgrade pack to "upgrade" from another software.

So many problems would be solved if people knew how to read directions...

How about including an upgrade zip (which would usually be a very small file) within the Tools folder of the main zip? It could even be named something suitably obscure so that people who have not read the instructions don't try to use it for something other than its intended purpose.

Archived