Admin Posts "Reported"

Rheddy

Ryan, that only prevents users or usergroups from using the "report" system, it doesn't disable the "report" bhutton that is attached to usergroup "admin" posted messages. What we're looking for is to disable the "report" button on posts or topics posted by the "admin" usergroup.

Plus, there's more than just posts that can be reported, the Report Center is used by other apps too, so if this suggestion got added then each other application would need a setting for "members of this group can not have their content reported".

I get the suggestion, you don't want random trolls reporting your posts. But lots of us do have legitimate reasons for wanting to allow this. If you have trolls abusing features of the software, moderate them.

Plus, there's more than just posts that can be reported, the Report Center is used by other apps too, so if this suggestion got added then each other application would need a setting for "members of this group can not have their content reported".

I get the suggestion, you don't want random trolls reporting your posts. But lots of us do have legitimate reasons for wanting to allow this. If you have trolls abusing features of the software, moderate them.

The second.. have you considered Tanaka how much longer said troll abusing the feature would stick around?
By reporting your content for no reason, the troll has basically said HERE I AM :smile:
ergo, the troll user literally reports themselves to you on a silver platter doing this.

Well, it must be fairly simply to create a hook or mod that could assign an "on/off" feature for members. Such as:

Topic Report: (toggle on/off)
enabling "report" button for user generated topics

Message Report: (toggle on/off)
enabling "report" button for user generated messages

I'm not saying that everyone would find it useful, but that it should be something that can be switched on or off by either usergroup or specific member. If I'm the admin then it's redundant for my content to be reported because I'm at the top of the forum staff chain on my site. It's just something that some of us would find useful to disable for specific usergroups. While it would always be enabled for the "members" usergroup, we're just asking for a feature that can turn it off for admin or root admin.

I can understand what IPS Staff is saying about this particular issue but, generally speaking, your members are going to be very reluctant to report the content of the admin for fear of either being banned or being restricted from the forums. There's an intimidation factor there considering the admin is the one who owns the site ...

Well, it must be fairly simply to create a hook or mod that could assign an "on/off" feature for members. Such as:

Topic Report: (toggle on/off)

enabling "report" button for user generated topics

Message Report: (toggle on/off)

enabling "report" button for user generated messages

I'm not saying that everyone would find it useful, but that it should be something that can be switched on or off by either usergroup or specific member. If I'm the admin then it's redundant for my content to be reported because I'm at the top of the forum staff chain on my site. It's just something that some of us would find useful to disable for specific usergroups. While it would always be enabled for the "members" usergroup, we're just asking for a feature that can turn it off for admin or root admin.

I can understand what IPS Staff is saying about this particular issue but, generally speaking, your members are going to be very reluctant to report the content of the admin for fear of either being banned or being restricted from the forums. There's an intimidation factor there considering the admin is the one who owns the site ...

0-o not at all to be rude or point fingers.... but your members fear banning for reporting one of your posts?
Your members should never fear or be intimidated by you...... :unsure:
It should never have to get to that point..... what exactly have you done to make your members afraid of you?
A hook is a Hook is a Hook.... but wow... that's creepy. :cry:
At least I know if I am ever banned from here, it will be for my own words popped off without thinking, not reporting an admin post with an outdated link.

Find

<if test="canReportPost:|:$topic['_canReport'] and ( $this->memberData['member_id'] )">

and replace with

<if test="canReportPost:|:$topic['_canReport'] and ( $this->memberData['member_id'] ) && !$post['author']['g_access_cp']">

People who are alone in their requests should be given customized solutions to tailor to their needs rather than subjecting everyone else to them.

you gave said skin hack earlier in this topic, and I completely agree with your statement Rimi... trying to sort out why tenaka has not applied it yet honestly :tongue:.
Hooks and Mods are born of either demand of the many, or cash of the sole individual desiring the mod.... or yknow, the authors own idea... but realistically, not many at all have any use for this.

you gave said skin hack earlier in this topic, and I completely agree with your statement Rimi... trying to sort out why tenaka has not applied it yet honestly :tongue:.

...wow. I honestly forgot I did that. And it was exactly two months ago too. But to my credit I did a more efficient skin hack this time around. I've learned a lot in the past two months it seems.

I see nothing wrong with permitting the reporting of admin posts. I mean... I am a member of the community at the end of the day, even if I happen to own it. If I stay in line with the rules I ask my members to abide by, there's no reason anyone would file a legitimate report for my behaviour. If there's something wrong with my post, like Matt's example of a typo or Michael's example of a broken link, it's something that warrants fixing; and moreover, a report will allow any of my moderators to fix it up even if I'm not online.

"Troll reports" are not an issue for me. A small number of false reports are very easy to sweep under the carpet, so to speak. Constant abuse of the reporting system indicates a bigger problem and warrants direct action against the user. Even if they couldn't report admin posts, what's to stop them from annoying moderators by falsely reporting anyone else's posts and filling the report center with them?

I wish to edit that text in my forum. Can anyone tell me where do I edit that text?

It's a language bit. Search for "report_basic_desc" to find it. On my communities, I have it set to the following:

Please note: The moderators will be made aware of the link to the page you are reporting.

This form is to be used for reporting content that is objectionable or otherwise needs some kind of moderative attention (e.g.: a topic that has been posted in the wrong section) and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for personal reasons.

I find that my slight re-wording of the default text helps to get the point across that a report should be filed whenever they see anything that needs the attention of a moderator (I've found that a common problem is that users have a misconception that minor things, like slightly off-topic posts, are not "worth" a formal report); and in addition, we actively encourage the use of the reporting system.

Marcher, the reason I hadn't applied it was because Rimi wasn't completely sure of the hack/edit, which is why I didn't apply it. I don't apply "fixes" to my forum unless I'm sure if it works or if someone posted a fix and they post that they're not sure of the fix themselves. I always "err" on the side of caution. :lol:

Marcher, the reason I hadn't applied it was because Rimi wasn't completely sure of the hack/edit, which is why I didn't apply it. I don't apply "fixes" to my forum unless I'm sure if it works or if someone posted a fix and they post that they're not sure of the fix themselves. I always "err" on the side of caution. :lol:

:/ ye of little faith... someone must have handed you untested code repeatedly >.< I can assure you, the above code works.... though on 3.3, that should be:

<if test="canReportPost:|:$topic['_canReport'] and ( $this->memberData['member_id'] ) && ! $topic['_isArchived'] && !$post['author']['g_access_cp']">

they added a check against archived. ^^

Rimi, root admins should not be subject to having their posts reported. Root administrators own the forum and the site. I know that if someone had ever reported one of my posts, instead of sending a personal message, that that member probably wouldn't be a member any further.

I own my site. I'm one of several administrators.

If someone had an issue with one of my posts I would expect them to report it (it's happened). And I would then expect one of the other administrators or moderators to deal with it, if it was related to my expressed views. It would be ethically wrong of me to deal with it. And to ban them for reporting me? How childish! Just because it's my site doesn't mean people won't and shouldn't take exception to my views.

Archived