No More Post Link Popups?

Rimi

Hello.

When I clicked on a post number it would give a popup that lets me copy the link to the post. Now in 3.3 the popup is gone and instead the URL in the browser changes. Is this good?

....uncertain how "good" is classified in this instance... I happen to know the js to make that popup would occasionally latch onto things it shouldn't have with rel="bookmark" used on links that were not post markers...
Not having to fight with that I would consider "good".

Is it really useful? Why not right click and choose "Copy Link" (or whatever your Browser/OS uses for this choice)?

It is really not a matter of useful. It is different. Every time you take a feature away, or change the way it works, we have to "reeducate" our user base. We have a lot of 50yr on up users and it takes along time to get them up to speed on forum software and any change in functionality I/we will get questions and have to explain for the next few weeks after a change. I've had 1/2 dozen people ask where the last unread post link icon is (now the little dots). We upgraded 3 weeks ago and I still have users who are not posting because of the new editor, or lost trying to find their way around profiles and such. I've had to add back in the little arrow icon for last past, topic descriptions, media bbcode in editor, etc.

My biggest issue is there is no list of things that get dropped or changed on a new release. You talk alot about new features, but not the ones going away. So I have to spend a lot of time trying to test new releases for user visible differences, search these forums for complaints about things being missing, different. When something is billed as a minor release it would be nice if features did not go away or radically switch, at least without being identified.

It is really not a matter of useful. It is different. Every time you take a feature away, or change the way it works, we have to "reeducate" our user base. We have a lot of 50yr on up users and it takes along time to get them up to speed on forum software and any change in functionality I/we will get questions and have to explain for the next few weeks after a change. I've had 1/2 dozen people ask where the last unread post link icon is (now the little dots). We upgraded 3 weeks ago and I still have users who are not posting because of the new editor, or lost trying to find their way around profiles and such. I've had to add back in the little arrow icon for last past, topic descriptions, media bbcode in editor, etc.

My biggest issue is there is no list of things that get dropped or changed on a new release. You talk alot about new features, but not the ones going away. So I have to spend a lot of time trying to test new releases for user visible differences, search these forums for complaints about things being missing, different. When something is billed as a minor release it would be nice if features did not go away or radically switch, at least without being identified.

:ninja:

Is it really useful? Why not right click and choose "Copy Link" (or whatever your Browser/OS uses for this choice)?

Do you have any idea how many people have no idea such a thing as "right click" even exists?

I have tried for years to get my wife to use right click to no avail. If she can't find a button, she loses a feature, pure and simple.

From personal experience I know that many users aren't even aware that you can link to specific posts. If you click that number out of curiousity then it becomes evidently clear from the pop-up that you can link to the specific post. Additionally when users ask how to link to specific posts it is much easier to tell them to copy the text in the popup than to say right click and copy the URL of the link because the latter has different wording on each browser and I myself get annoyed sometimes when looking at the right click menu and looking for something specific. Different browsers have different options in different order. Well I guess the options are mostly the same but the wording isn't.

• 6 months later...

Archived