Please Revert the Moderating Team Page

Rimi

Before the moderating team page separated the lists by user group. Now it's all one big jumbled mess and would be very annoying if you wanted to find a single administrator among a list of 30 moderators whose name starts with the letter S.

Ctrl+F -> Type 'S'. Or just hit Page Dn or End on your keyboard.

Hello.

Why do you always suggest silly alternative solutions when users bring up valid suggestions that will improve the usability, aesthetic appeal, and overall quality of the software? Please stop it as I do not appreciate it. Thank you.

As the page looks now it is ugly. Your solution is a silly approach to solving a problem that has arisen as a result of attempting to fix something that isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with the 3.2 structure and I do not understand why this was changed and why anyone would want to use ctrl+F to find a name over glancing at the top of the screen and expecting to see the administrator list right there. Is it not silly?

You are bringing up an alternative solution too don't forget :smile: Nothing wrong with Michael's suggestion either and he's free to bring up solutions just as you are.

Hello.

This is fine. I do not wish to debate the validity of an individual's solution with you. Thank you.

I am more concerned with subject of this topic. I think optimization is a silly tradeoff for good design and organization especially when this is a page that doesn't receive enough visits to validate the need for optimization, yet when it is visited it is important to have good structure and organization. Do you disagree?

You are bringing up an alternative solution too don't forget :smile: Nothing wrong with Michael's suggestion either and he's free to bring up solutions just as you are.

Valid point, but not all forum users are technically inclined (actually, I'd say a great deal of them aren't).

The prior format was simple enough for Joe Noob to easily navigate. This one can confuse those not savvy with computers.

Alternative suggestion: Provide the ability to sort by category, and make the group names clickable so a list of members in that group are provided (member list filtered by group) when you click the link.

I agree with Rimi. The page just looks ugly.

Also it shows information I don't have access to, too. F.e. "Viewing Record: Kernel...". The dropdown has a blank field I can select and then I get a "No permission, entering onyl with Client Account". Minor glitches you should fix.

I understand the page doesn't have the highest priority but you should spend some time and make it more userfriendly.

Sortable categories as others mentioned already f.e.

Turn the column names into links or buttons that reorganizes the list of staff by name, usergroup, and how many forums they moderate at least. The location should be reworded to currently viewing or similar to view currently online staff. Location can easily be confused with their physical location.

Turn the column names into links or buttons that reorganizes the list of staff by name, usergroup, and how many forums they moderate at least. The location should be reworded to currently viewing or similar to view currently online staff. Location can easily be confused with their physical location.

I think "Location" is left over from previous versions where they displayed the Location custom profile field on this page.

Hello.

Why do you always suggest silly alternative solutions when users bring up valid suggestions that will improve the usability, aesthetic appeal, and overall quality of the software? Please stop it as I do not appreciate it. Thank you.

As the page looks now it is ugly. Your solution is a silly approach to solving a problem that has arisen as a result of attempting to fix something that isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with the 3.2 structure and I do not understand why this was changed and why anyone would want to use ctrl+F to find a name over glancing at the top of the screen and expecting to see the administrator list right there. Is it not silly?

No, I don't find it silly at all. You and I just do things differently, apparently. I'm greatly sorry I suggested a method that would do what you asked in about a second, I'll try not to do it again.

I quite like it as-is.

The only concerns I have are the dropdown for forum-level mods could do with a spacing tweak and it should not be showing locations you cannot view as you indicated, that maybe an IPC related concern or simply something to do with each product permission mask. I'll post a quick report about it anyway.

No, I don't find it silly at all. You and I just do things differently, apparently. I'm greatly sorry I suggested a method that would do what you asked in about a second, I'll try not to do it again.

Hello. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

The reason it was changed had to do with forums with a lot of moderators. We needed to support pagination on this page for those larger sites (as I recall, we had a client with something like 200 moderators or so).

I like some of the ideas put forth so far to improve the design. Interested to see what other suggestions are made.

The reason it was changed had to do with forums with a lot of moderators. We needed to support pagination on this page for those larger sites (as I recall, we had a client with something like 200 moderators or so).

I like some of the ideas put forth so far to improve the design. Interested to see what other suggestions are made.

I personally would like to see it ordered by member group then user name. They don't have to be in different 'categories', however, I think it looks much more organized if they were at least listed by user group first.

Something along these lines might be a good solution to also allow for separate sort criteria.
%7Boption%7D

I recall reading in the tracker that IPS wanted to separate administrative roles from super moderator roles. How about separate pages, or separate tabs? If you have an administrative group without moderating powers (completely viable with IPB) then they're not really a part of the "moderating" team correct?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

One very simple change to admin/applications/forums/modules_public/extras/stats.php to sort the groups, e.g. for IPB 3.3.4 is:

Line: 378

Change:

'select'	 => 'm.*, m.member_id as my_member_id'

To:

'select'	 => 'm.*, m.member_id as my_member_id,field(m.member_group_id,4,6,14,9,7,12) as group_sort'

and Line 395:

'order' => 'm.members_display_name',

To:

'order' => 'group_sort,m.members_display_name',

where 4,6,14,9,7,12 are the group IDs for my custom moderating team, i.e. 4 is the Root admin, 6 is Admin, 9 is Global Mod, 7 Mod etc. Be sure to list all IDs of your team there, otherwise the unknown IDs are listed first.

Archived