Rich text editor

Anuris

Hello.

I am writing to ask you to enable a possibility of turning rich text editor off from AC in forum version 3.2.4. I mean it would be really great if it corresponded the ones in versions 3.1.x and earlier, since visual editor is very inconvenient to work with BB codes.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

bosss, on 09 October 2011 - 08:39 PM, said: "Works not ... i reloaded forums ..but no effect ...have not tested with new user account ..."

Besides, I don't want to be editing the source every time I install an IPB update.

It does work - confirmed. The user you quoted either didn't edit the code as instructed or didn't properly clear their cache to test. But good point about editing the source.

• 2 weeks later...

The RTE is giving me no end of epic frustrations. It's all I can do not to punch a hole in my monitor. Depending on the amount of code added to a post (especially organization features like bulleted lists, numbered lists, and to be honest even bold, underline, italics, and colored text) it gets increasingly difficult, nay, impossible to edit without seeing everything self destruct.

So many times have I gone in to edit a post in particular regarding admin SOPs for our community which contains numbered and bulleted lists interchangeably to have it shuffle it all around like a puzzle I have to put back together. Numbers become bullets and bullets become numbers. Extra spaces all over the place, regular text gets tabbed out and placed in bullet code, extra bullets appear in places that seem impossible to comprehend, and on and ON.

Now with the newer version when I press back space it randomly and periodically decides to jump to the previous line and next thing I know I'm deleting the ending of the last paragraph. NO! Bad RTE! *Slap*

I stopped using the IPB software for a good 6 months and these types of problems with the RTE were an issue all the way back then. Still this hasn't been resolved? Why? This whole mess has been going on for about a year now.

Our members, including myself, were as PO'd then as we are now. What's the point of the RTE when we have to assemble our topics/posts in a notepad document first and then save it because it's almost guaranteed something bad will happen and we'll need to have a back up.

I go in to edit a topic/post and when I press "Save Changes" it ruins something I didn't even touch when editing. Code gets inserted where it didn't exist before, other code is removed. I've submitted multiple tickets before and all I tend to get is that they'll look into it. I've sent pictures displaying the problems and done it all just short of making a video of the problems. The RTE's problems seem random too which is possibly even more infuriating. The RTE strikes when you least expect it to, like a bad joke coming from a comedian.

Yes. We need an option to use the non-RTE editor with BBCode buttons, and we need it now. I just can't deal with it anymore, and I'm very close to leaving IPB entirely. My users are unhappy, and I'm unhappy. Either put those buttons in, or fix the RTE. Or both, if you're up to it. But please, do something.

Me too. I have to agree that RTE ( Really Terrible Editor ) is a real PITA. Anytime I want to copy/paste I have to first paste into notpad or equivilent to remove formatting, then copy/paste again from notepad. There are many other problems with it, but that is the most annoying.

Because the upshot of this issue is, a good deal of people won't be as technologically savvy as those who've posted here. They'll copy and paste something, it'll either post as a mess, or it'll look a mess in preview, the user doesn't really know how to or can't be bothered to make all the amendments, and decides not to bother posting or worse.

Me too. I have to agree that RTE ( Really Terrible Editor ) is a real PITA. Anytime I want to copy/paste I have to first paste into notpad or equivilent to remove formatting, then copy/paste again from notepad. There are many other problems with it, but that is the most annoying.

There's a paste as plain text option in the editor...

There's a paste as plain text option in the editor...

Because the upshot of this issue is, a good deal of people won't be as technologically savvy as those who've posted here. They'll copy and paste something, it'll either post as a mess, or it'll look a mess in preview, the user doesn't really know how to or can't be bothered to make all the amendments, and decides not to bother posting or worse.

The RTE is giving me no end of epic frustrations. It's all I can do not to punch a hole in my monitor. Depending on the amount of code added to a post (especially organization features like bulleted lists, numbered lists, and to be honest even bold, underline, italics, and colored text) it gets increasingly difficult, nay, impossible to edit without seeing everything self destruct.

So many times have I gone in to edit a post in particular regarding admin SOPs for our community which contains numbered and bulleted lists interchangeably to have it shuffle it all around like a puzzle I have to put back together. Numbers become bullets and bullets become numbers. Extra spaces all over the place, regular text gets tabbed out and placed in bullet code, extra bullets appear in places that seem impossible to comprehend, and on and ON.

Now with the newer version when I press back space it randomly and periodically decides to jump to the previous line and next thing I know I'm deleting the ending of the last paragraph. NO! Bad RTE! *Slap*

I stopped using the IPB software for a good 6 months and these types of problems with the RTE were an issue all the way back then. Still this hasn't been resolved? Why? This whole mess has been going on for about a year now.

Our members, including myself, were as PO'd then as we are now. What's the point of the RTE when we have to assemble our topics/posts in a notepad document first and then save it because it's almost guaranteed something bad will happen and we'll need to have a back up.

I go in to edit a topic/post and when I press "Save Changes" it ruins something I didn't even touch when editing. Code gets inserted where it didn't exist before, other code is removed. I've submitted multiple tickets before and all I tend to get is that they'll look into it. I've sent pictures displaying the problems and done it all just short of making a video of the problems. The RTE's problems seem random too which is possibly even more infuriating. The RTE strikes when you least expect it to, like a bad joke coming from a comedian.

This pretty much sums up my issue and my members problems.

Yes. We need an option to use the non-RTE editor with BBCode buttons, and we need it now. I just can't deal with it anymore, and I'm very close to leaving IPB entirely. My users are unhappy, and I'm unhappy. Either put those buttons in, or fix the RTE. Or both, if you're up to it. But please, do something.

Agreed. This is starting to annoy my users a lot and now it's starting to annoy me. I'm not going to leave IPB because I love them. But please, get rid of this editor.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a fan of the RTE when it works(ed).

Sorry to say it, but I'm going to pile on with this RTE hate. The current version is just horribly, horribly buggy. I would submit bug reports to the tracker... but honestly, there are just so many things wrong with it right now it doesn't seem worth the time. The

• is broken and wraps itself around unrelated text, removes
  • randomly, and it's absolutely impossible to align/justify anything if it has text above and/or below it. Etc, etc.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a fan of the RTE when it works(ed).

Sorry to say it, but I'm going to pile on with this RTE hate. The current version is just horribly, horribly buggy. I would submit bug reports to the tracker... but honestly, there are just so many things wrong with it right now it doesn't seem worth the time. The

• is broken and wraps itself around unrelated text, removes
  • randomly, and it's absolutely impossible to align/justify anything if it has text above and/or below it. Etc, etc.

3.3.2 update has fixed the problems.

• 1 month later...

Agreed

Archived