Request for improved skin/add-on compatibility

• Jay •

Many add-ons come with their own custom images, and those files have to be uploaded separately to each skin after they are installed.

It would make life easier if skins could automatically be modified to use the images from those add-ons upon installation and the add-on installation process itself also make references to those images in existing skins besides just the master.

Come to think of it, quite a few of the default skin images have to be copied over (especially images for the notifications page).

To illustrate, here is a zip file of the images I typically have to upload whenever I install a new skin.

Typical Missing Skin Images.zip

An add-on has ( or should have ) it's own image folder regardless of skin. There should never be a need to upload images to each skin. That was the old way under IP.Board 2.X. If you have to upload add-on mod images when you install new skins, the add-on was poorly made.

Where I store my application images, and I think the best place for compatibility is /public/appname/images/ where they are available for all skins.

We used to store them in /admin/application_addon/other/appname/sources/images/ but ran into problems when people wanted to rename their admin folder.

If you have to upload add-on mod images when you install new skins, the add-on was poorly made.

Believe me, I agree. But they're out there. I use a few of them, myself (including shoutbox, no less!)

We used to store them in /admin/application_addon/other/appname/sources/images/ but ran into problems when people wanted to rename their admin folder.

The rest of the board files are able to adapt to a renamed admin folder, why not use the same %admin% style link to refer to the directory instead of the static /admin/etc format?

Believe me, I agree. But they're out there. I use a few of them, myself (including shoutbox, no less!)

The rest of the board files are able to adapt to a renamed admin folder, why not use the same %admin% style link to refer to the directory instead of the static /admin/etc format?

I would assume the add-ons are checked ( at least here ) before they are approved. So if they require images uploaded to each skin folder, then who ever approves the mod had dropped the ball.

For images, because it is easier to use /public/appname/ and they are for the public side anyway.

I don't know about Suscription Manager, but Shoutbox image does not need to be uploaded to all skin folders: only the master folder. It would be senseless to upload the same image to all skin folders when it can always be found in the master.

The reason it is common practice to code applications this way is that the same images do not always look correct on the same skins. Third party apps are always written to look right on the IP.Board default skin, but on different skins (especially dark ones) you might see weird borders show up or other graphical glitches with image files that look perfect on the default skin. In addition, some sites will design skins where they want a very consistent color scheme, so they may want a red version of an app's blue icon in that skin, but the standard icon in another. By just having a single 'this is my app's image folder' folder, you break this functionality.

No one 'dropped the ball' by approving apps that do it this way, if that was the case then every addon for IP.Board that IPS created shouldn't have been approved either.

Having the images in the admin folder of the app (with the url visible to everyone) would totally defeat the purpose of renaming the admin folder to hide it... :ninja:

The reason it is common practice to code applications this way is that the same images do not always look correct on the same skins. Third party apps are always written to look right on the IP.Board default skin, but on different skins (especially dark ones) you might see weird borders show up or other graphical glitches with image files that look perfect on the default skin. In addition, some sites will design skins where they want a very consistent color scheme, so they may want a red version of an app's blue icon in that skin, but the standard icon in another. By just having a single 'this is my app's image folder' folder, you break this functionality.

No one 'dropped the ball' by approving apps that do it this way, if that was the case then every addon for IP.Board that IPS created shouldn't have been approved either.

How do you figure it will break functionality? Only the mod will use folder /public/appname/images/ regardless of skin, same as using the skin master.

The only possible way is if IPS changes /public/ to something else not compatible with {$this->settings['public_dir']}, but then lots of mods will break anyhow.

btw the dropping the ball comment meant if a mod requires adding an identical image to all skins, instead of just the master.

I created an install routine in one of my hooks to place some icons in every skin folder automatically, though it probably won't work for every server setup.

It is possible.

<?

/**

* Plant notification images when installing the hook.

* © 2012 Ryan Hoerr / Sublime Development

* http://www.sublimism.com

*/

class sldModNotifications

{

private $images    = array(

'notify_arrow_right.png' =>  'eJwBVAGr/olQTkcNChoKAAAADUlIRFIAAAAQAAAAEAgGAAAAH/P/YQAAAAlwSFlzAAALEwAACxMB

AJqcGAAAAQZJREFUOMvtUz9LA3EMfQdFpKNOJ4KCFNHBjopUcBInv4GLU90c/BCObrr0ewgiXRUX

FcQ/V6k42rXS++UlFwevpwWHagcXHwRCwkseeSRyd4yCEkbE3w+Auw8dW8cbp5uH62Nfaz9SIKnU

Qk9uAVT6tcjdsX9edwAwGpQKikICISkhqSCkAkkF8UQMEeIheby5PLiuDtxgdXINlhk00yJoBhrB

jKAp1BQ0Rbf7trSwW7m4O0qWS/3NNH6STcFMc7KCmg/Ie0KCoiwUKBXN57NvZYfeR14eLyOOp9B5

7SC5f7pqNdq14gbDoLq3uCKBTYq+tBrt+V/ZOLczezKzPT1gY/T/C3gHuGQMQaiwjqoAAAAASUVO

RK5CYII44YLq',

'notify_lock.png' =>          'eJwB2QIm/YlQTkcNChoKAAAADUlIRFIAAAAQAAAAEAgGAAAAH/P/YQAAAAlwSFlzAAALEwAACxMB

AJqcGAAAAotJREFUOMtlks1rXGUUxn/3ziSTGfMx9ivkKulMM7RCQcVd6qJQ1IUUBNGdG3FRhAay

KVkG4jL/hIsJ0kXd9g8Q4qalQdu0xKaXMSiUFDPJJLmZ+54PF7dpJ+2BAwfOeX88z8MbuTuDtbKy

Mmpmt1R1VlVPqSqq+p+q/i4iy/Pz8/uD99EgoN1uf2xmvyZJ0pyYmCCOY8yMLMvY3t4mTdNUVb9e

WFhYewvQbrdHVfXBzMxMK89ztra2ODg4QFUpl8tMTk4CsL6+/lRVP1xcXMwAysckVf1xamqqFUJg

Y2PjmYhcU9V/VZUsy5Jut7vabDaTJElaaZreBJZPAERktlarsbm5SQjh+tzcXGfAamdpaemzTqez

3mg0EJHZ48Ug4Gwcx/R6PUQk5Y0SkTSEQBzHqOrZExn8/dv3vrp5iee7VVSVry7fo+QBV8Gl6BCU

n9c+wcyYHNnh+nv3uHTjQVQocOfbb64REROVqkR8CRZBeQRw0IBKj5++2AcLADz9ZfW1BVcBHHlx

m3LlDFE0CjYE1Tq4weEuuvcXefYPJodUmzfxvD8AEAFz0Jzuw/vE8TvUL19h6+4ybueYvvo53ceP

yLMdxhrv4q54yAcBAdxwDdQ/uEg8fAYiQ/vKHy+qTJNTbzU52q/gcljcngCEgLuCBnb+XKNUGaf+

0afYkdHP+uA53SePOTrcZfx8HczwICcBhYKc+sUGpdppiHMufHeDC0Fg7zkTrYTh3aFCgXnx5jUg

BzNMcroPH1GqjcHIKJSHwQT2umQ724SDHmPT4zhW2B4EuCuV93+ger5ENFyBchXiITCFPGMs20ND

HzcF9yL4V4C8z7M7t4osRHAJL/t4VlAtPpa+nE0B+B9k9KxgOBC4kQAAAABJRU5ErkJggm+0Uz0=' );

private $dir    = '../public/style_images';

private $subd    = '/notifications';

private $skins    = array();

public function install()

{

$this->findSkins();

// Insert notification images in each skin folder.

foreach($this->skins as $skin) {

$cd = $this->dir . '/' . $skin . $this->subd;

@mkdir( $cd );

foreach($this->images as $image => $data) {

@file_put_contents( $cd . '/' . $image, gzuncompress( base64_decode( $data ) ) );

}

}

}

public function uninstall()

{

$this->findSkins();

// Remove the images from each folder.

foreach($this->skins as $skin) {

foreach($this->images as $image => $data) {

@unlink( $this->dir . '/' . $skin . $this->subd . '/' . $image );

}

}

}

protected function findSkins()

{

// Find skin image folders.

$style_images = scandir($this->dir);

foreach($style_images as $item) {

if( is_dir($this->dir . '/' . $item) && $item != '.' && $item != '..' )

$this->skins[] = $item;

}

}

}

The code is free for use, by the way--I'd just appreciate some form of attribution if you do.

How do you figure it will break functionality? Only the mod will use folder /public/appname/images/ regardless of skin, same as using the skin master.

The only possible way is if IPS changes /public/ to something else not compatible with {$this->settings['public_dir']}, but then lots of mods will break anyhow.

btw the dropping the ball comment meant if a mod requires adding an identical image to all skins, instead of just the master.

The functionality described in my post is what will break: the ability to define different icons for different skins. Your method is easier, yes, but it locks anyone who uses such a mod into always using the same icon for each skin, and that simply won't work for every forum owner.

Archived