Profile photos - caching & CDN unfriendly

Dll

Profile photos are currently very difficult to cache or use on a cdn because they're over-writing newly uploaded photos with the same file name. If you set a long cache expiration then users don't see a newly updated photo unless they clear cache etc (or in the case of a site using a cdn, until the cdn is purged), you set a short cache and you end up making a lot of un-needed calls to the server for content which could be cached.

Ideally it would be good to see profile photos using a unique file name which would solve this problem. Any chance?

Thanks, but that's for maxcdn only, and ideally there needs to be unique names for using on other cdn's and for browser caching generally. As it stands, unless you set a fairly short cache it's just not working properly.

This is a problem even without CDNs. I've had quite a few people confused and asking why their avatar doesn't change when they upload a new one. It does, of course, but their browser is caching it.

A timestamp or something would resolve it--of course, then you have to keep track of and remove the old ones they uploaded.

Thanks, but that's for maxcdn only, and ideally there needs to be unique names for using on other cdn's and for browser caching generally. As it stands, unless you set a fairly short cache it's just not working properly.

DOH!!
I thought I saw maxcdn in the post, sorry.

I have not looked but I wonder if it could be adapted to help your issue. yes its a work around for something that needs addressing, just thinking short term.

I am trying to remember but didn't 3.14 have a setting where we could force users browsers to recache?
maybe it was smf I am thinking of.

Archived