"You've been kicked" error message

deanbmmv

I run IP.Chat on my forum, but it's not something I frequently use so I'm not fully aware of all its nuances. Today I got the message of "You have been kicked", I then quickly hit up my chat mod about this and turns out it's the message sent out to everyone when the chat disconnects. This is the first time I've heard of it, and it turns out it causes the chat mods no end of bother with people getting a bit pissed off with the seemingly unprompted kicking.

Would it be possible at all to change the error message to an actual error message i.e "IP.Chat has disconnected", instead of something that implies it's been done by one of the mods? We're a fairly mod light community, very well behaved community, so they know a line has been crossed if a mod does something. So it'd be nice to not have a computer error making moderation decisions on our behalf.

Realistically, the client-end software right now does not know the difference (it receives a "no" status code, which is the same that is sent regardless of whether you were kicked, etc.).

I have plans to improve this, because banning guests cannot be fully supported until there can be a differentiation made between the "bad" status codes that are sent. It's something I'd expect to see in a future update. When that change is made (server-side), the client-end software can then start differentiating between what the "bad" status code means exactly, which will allow us to resolve this nusance.

All users are seeing this error message when launching the ip chat room (has been working fine until the last few days), but if you click the launch in new window icon it works, is this something to do with the work that is being done to the IPS hosted clients?
It seems the ip chat is failing as soon as it's launched and as it's hosted by IPS I wondered if something is linked..

Archived