(e34) Custom Name Style

(e) Eric

%7Boption%7D

File Name: (e34) Custom Name Style

File Submitter: (e) Eric

File Submitted: 02 Jan 2012

File Category: User and Social Engagement

Supported Versions: IP.Board 3.4.x

Custom name style appears styled throughout the board, thanks in large part to Terabyte's Group Format hook. This application is designed so that you don't need to have Group Format also installed. Additionally, this should not be used with (e32) Points Per Name Style ibEconomy plug-in, as they have the same functionality, just different means for editing name styles.

This requires IPB 3.4+. For earlier versions (3.2.3+) please use version 1.0.0.

Main Settings:

• On/Off
  • Default to (TB) Group Format?
  • Groups Allowed

Public:
  • Ability to customize own display name
  • Bold/italic/background/text/outline/shadow

ACP:
  • View and Edit current styled names
  • Add new styled name
  • Use shadow instead of outline

here to download this file

Guest Reystar

I just installed it and i get

Fatal error: Class 'sos32_gchovercard' not found in /home/***/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3435) : eval()'d code on line 2

I Reinstalled it and the error has been fixed

K, glad its fixed. Not sure that error is related directly to this app or not. The class it couldn't find is for SOS32 GC hover card, or whatever hook that class comes with. Just like (TB) Group Format, this app does override the hover card template, so perhaps there was a conflict with that SOS32 hook.

Guest Reystar

By the way, i have created a user group called Members++ (the ++ is as a suffix) but people's usernames appear as Aethorn++ is there a way a way to have different styling on the name? I want it to be just "Aethorn"...

So you mean a way to turn off the group prefix and suffix so that only the group name itself has the plus plus but each member of group doesn't? I don't think IPB has such a setting.

Do you mean that only now since installing this app you are experiencing too many user names appearing with the plus plus? If so, that is because you have the Default to Group Format setting on. If you turn that setting off, names will only be group formatting in the standard default places.

Guest Reystar

actually, there is a styling (a color)

%7Boption%7D thats how it appears now (the username)

and the usergroup appears as %7Boption%7D

Now, i want the username to look like that: %7Boption%7D

So yeap kinda keep the coloring for the usernames but remove the plus plus signs

If you don't want the plus plus to be on the usernames, you need to remove the plus plus from the group format suffix. That username, George Reystar is group formatted, which doesnt have anything to do with this app. Let me know if I'm not following you.

If you want to keep the plus plus for that group, but force the name to not have the plus plus, you need to give George a custom name style with that icon and the purple color.

Guest Reystar

If you don't want the plus plus to be on the usernames, you need to remove the plus plus from the group format suffix. That username, George Reystar is group formatted, which doesnt have anything to do with this app. Let me know if I'm not following you.

If you want to keep the plus plus for that group, but force the name to not have the plus plus, you need to give George a custom name style with that icon and the purple color.

Fair enough ! I removed all the extra stuff anyhow :smile:

is there a way to add a preview of what u are choosing?

and possible a way to implement ppns to make this charge-able

IE. when u purchase ppns u can custom the name style and then it shows the custom name style tab in UCP where u can edit it at any time for free...only when purchased or make a setting like that?

this mod has opened alot of ideas but i have no clue how to do any coding like that or even where or how to start

No there is no preview, but the way it works, all it takes is one click to see it.

Please ask any ibEconomy plugin questions in their respective support topics. I don't want people to get confused and think this app has ANYTHING to do with ibEconomy, since the reason I wrote this app was for users who don't need a point system. :)

Bug:

The custom username doesn't apply to authors in forum category view.
%7Boption%7D

You can see the Gold name is the style that belongs to the group, and the blue on the right is his custom name style.

Suggestion:

I think there should be certain colors that you should be able to disable, due to blending in to the skin. Most vaguely black and white. This way, you won't have members blending names with the skin. Basically a control to what colors can and cannot be used, so make a hex chart wasn't the best idea. Another suggestion towards what I said is for certain premade colors to be options in the settings, and for administrators to have to enable or add colors via options or add their own with the hex chart you provided in the site, except in the ACP with the color's hex.

As you can see the name is white, and blends in with the site. I have highlighted it to show the name.
%7Boption%7D

Request/Suggestion:
Make Custom Name Style work with (SOS32) Recent Topics.

The member group color is used here regardless if they have a custom name style or not.
%7Boption%7D

I can't replicate your issue, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. This is the place you mean right?: http://testib3two.ibbookie.com/index.php?/forum/4-second-forum/

I'll think about adding that in a future version. I was avoiding adding such added complexity because it complicates matters, but if others also think it would be useful then please post.

I wont be integrating this with all the hooks out there, that would be way too much work, if even possible, which it won't be in many places based on a lack of hook points. The good thing is that it should work for many third-party hooks and apps by default when the hoverCard template it used and enough member data is passed.

I can't replicate your issue, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. This is the place you mean right?:

http://testib3two.ib...4-second-forum/

I'll think about adding that in a future version. I was avoiding adding such added complexity because it complicates matters, but if others also think it would be useful then please post.

I wont be integrating this with all the hooks out there, that would be way too much work, if even possible, which it won't be in many places based on a lack of hook points. The good thing is that it should work for many third-party hooks and apps by default when the hoverCard template it used and enough member data is passed.

My issue has been fixed, it was just a cache issue when I first added it.

The colors I think, and I have shown others your hook and they agree (if only they would speak), a hex chart has some flaws, but bonuses as well. The only reason as I said is blending with skin colors to camouflage the user's name.

I would be willing to donate for the one (Recent Topics) for to be integrated with your hook :P

Bug

So you can control what groups have access to change their username color. Yes. But if a member in an allowed usergroup is deranked, they will have the same username color.

Also, moderators/admins should be able to control the members user color, as in change it if not my suggestion in the above posts.

Not a bug

There is no hook that removes a users prefix and suffix when a member is changed groups. Feel free to make a feature request if you would like that ability. And no, I am not going to group check every single time a name style is generated, that would be a waste. You can always remove the users custom name style with one click from ACP->Custom Name Styles. The names are even colored coded, so you could batch remove name styles if you were so inclined. :)

You can change color from the same place mentioned above. Instead of clicking delete, click the edit button. :)

Not a bug

There is no hook that removes a users prefix and suffix when a member is changed groups. Feel free to make a feature request if you would like that ability. And no, I am not going to group check every single time a name style is generated, that would be a waste. You can always remove the users custom name style with one click from ACP->Custom Name Styles. The names are even colored coded, so you could batch remove name styles if you were so inclined. :smile:

You can change color from the same place mentioned above. Instead of clicking delete, click the edit button. :smile:

I should have explored the settings a little more, didn't know that :)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The custom username doesn't apply to authors in forum category view.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][img]

[/img][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You can see the Gold name is the style that belongs to the group, and the blue on the right is his custom name style.[/font][/color]

Turns out there was a bug with forum view. Not sure if your problem was really a cache issue or not. In any case, I should be releasing version 1.0.0 soon and I've fixed the bug so that all starter-names are styled properly.

1. Yeah, it isn't supposed to work in shoutbox, just like it won't work in tons of other third party apps.
2. Hmm, so you want the group format to show only in the "default" places?

And please expand on the background image issue, I.E. post the background image HTML that isn't working.