[suggestion] Allow re-assigning Guest posts to existing members

shaks

When deleting inactive or permanently banned members, their posts are often left on the forum, as they have usually posted something that the admins might want to keep on the forum. However, sometimes, in cases when inactive deleted members come back, we want to re-assign their posts back to their newly registered account. Please add this feature. It is crucial! For banned members who are deleted, we could assign their posts to other members, such a moderators, so they can be notified about anything related to those abandoned topics. This already exists on other forum software, and it is incredibly useful, as it allows manipulations of posts and topics, so they are always assigned to an active member account. It isn't a complicated feature, so i really hope the devs will consider it for the next IPB release.

For banned members who are deleted, we could assign their posts to other members, such a moderators, so they can be notified about anything related to those abandoned topics. This already exists on other forum software, and it is incredibly useful, as it allows manipulations of posts and topics, so they are always assigned to an active member account. It isn't a complicated feature, so i really hope the devs will consider it for the next IPB release.

That option already exists per say, I created a new member (mod status) called "synergy" ( all things come together to form one ) synergy is our in house keeper of all abandoned / banned or other dead user profiles and there is the merge button so before clearing out the the dearly departed, rather than deleting them and leaving the guest / ghost version you simply merge all of the at persons account with "synergy" or who ever you have before deleting them, no more dead guest posts.

And synergy can go through and edit delete move shuffle all she likes, it also fixes posts where they are the topic starter, no ghosts from the past.

Hi paw, i know all about synergy and her phone number.
However, what i need is a way to recollect and assign all deleted members' posts/topics to an active member account. I know that the posts can be reassigned instead of deleting the members, but in my forums, inactive members have been simply deleted according to a strict forum rule since several years now. That was before i converted to IPB, as on SMF there is an option to simply reassign Guest posts back to any member account, which is why i always kept the tradition of deleting inactive member accounts, since reassigning them on SMF was very easy. But now that i've converted my forums to IPB, it is a big issue.

Hi paw, i know all about synergy and her phone number.

That explains it then, i was wondering why synergy looked tired each morning, now I know she is out and about gallivanting around the place giving her phone number out to complete strangers, there will be some stern words tonight i tells ya.

Archived