Unnecessary extra language strings for errors?

TSP

When translating the chat app with the translation tool on these sites I noticed something, there are two different sets of strings for some error messages. Any specific reason for this?

Let me pick out examples:

No username was supplied to connect to the chat room. Please notify an administrator. (connect_error_2)
VS
No username was supplied to connect to the chat room. Please notify the administrator. (connect_gw_error_2)

The room ID supplied was invalid. Please notify the administrator. (connect_gw_error_4)
VS
The room id supplied is invalid. Please notify an administrator. (connect_error_5)

The IP.Chat room limit has been reached. You will not be able to join the chat room until some users leave. (connect_error_7)
VS
The IP.Chat room limit has been reached. You will not be able to join the chat room until some users first leave. (connect_gw_error_6)

It is done because they are separate actions throwing the error (the gateway response is bad versus the actual chat server response is bad). It just so happens that I felt in both situations here that the same message should be displayed to the user, however you could optionally show something different if you wanted to.

Re-using the same language string for separate places is risky, because there is invariably someone who feels the messages should be different in their language, and then we later have to go separate them. I try to just use separate language strings from the start for separate errors/locations.

Re-using the same language string for separate places is risky, because there is invariably someone who feels the messages should be different in their language, and then we later have to go separate them. I try to just use separate language strings from the start for separate errors/locations.

hmmm.. hadn't thought of that. One more punch list item before I package up the app i'm developing.

Random example - you could have a button that says "Delete" for a comment and a button that says "Delete" for the item you can comment on. In English, it's fine to use the word "Delete" in both places, and it's tempting to re-use the language string. In some other language, however, it may need to be different for one reason or another (masculine or feminine ownership? singular or plural differences? I only speak English so I can't say as to the reasons). Or someone might just want to clarify "Delete Item" and "Delete Comment".

If you use separate strings, with the same word, anyone can do that. If you reuse the same string in both locations, they can't.

Well you're right, but I'm still getting a bit tired of having to translate the same strings or words multiple times, in our language they're pretty much the same in every context. But I absolutely see your point and understand that every language is different in what's appropiate in the different contexts. So I really understand why it is like it is.

With that said, I'm still a bit puzzled by a recent double language string I found. D_0 starts with Sunday, then goes to D_6 with Saturday, but then it goes to D_7 with Sunday a second time (no other days repeat), how come? This was found in the Systems-tab.

Archived