Big clients using IPB

Mat Young

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhett, had this not been taken off topic, the original response I give, was on topic and something the OP should know.

Q: Is IPB scalable.

A: It struggles with large member tables.

I hope this is addressed in future releases and then the OP won't have to be concerned and can use the best forum software in the world :D

so someone buying the product would never want to know about using distinct sql server for certain items?

Rhett, had this not been taken off topic, the original response I give, was on topic and something the OP should know.

Q: Is IPB scalable.

A: It struggles with large member tables.

I hope this is addressed in future releases and then the OP won't have to be concerned and can use the best forum software in the world :D

In both cases these effect less than 1-2% of all forums... again, I understand you wanting to help inform future customers, however these issues/questions are best left to the feedback forum so the developers can hear you! :)

In both cases these effect less than 1-2% of all forums... again, I understand you wanting to help inform future customers, however these issues/questions are best left to the feedback forum so the developers can hear you!

The OP sounds like he falls in to the 1-2%, which is why it was important he knew.

I don't want to debate as you've always been helpful in helping resolve problems, but none of the devs bought this issue to light and I understand how important it is, to have a website that's scalable, so I wanted him to know. It's not fair to not make him aware of the potential issue.

I'll open a thread now, regarding the members table and perhaps in the future, it can be improved.

Thanks.

• Management

We have sites with millions and millions of posts, thousands and thousands of online users with minimal issue on the proper setup. The memberlist "issue" is acknowledged, but it's not unique to IPB. I've just looked at the big board list and all sites I've encountered using other, non-IPB software, have their member lists disabled.

I don't believe a slow loading memberlist warrants a broad "IPB isn't scalable" declaration. You're going to tax MySQL sorting through 2 million members without any additional provisions. I'm sure the developers will do their best to make this as efficient as possible, but ultimately, it's going to take a while. That's why most disable it - using ANY software.

Thank you for opening another topic for your feedback. I'm sure something can be done to improve memberlist efficiency.

Hi Lindy. Thanks for your response.

You're right, In many ways IPB is scalable. I've worked with some big ipb boards with millions of posts and they run great.

Im glad the issue is acknowledged. Though even the biggest VB website member list is very fast.

But the member list isn't the be all and end all, it's more the members table and accessing it. As you say all those rows are going to get problematic. Some kind of archiving would sort it nicely.

Thanks again for your response.

Paul

OP asked how IPB worked with big boards and others answered so why should this discussion be moved to the members lounge and the feedback forum? So please stop getting all defensive. Also, not everyone's website revolves around a discussion forum. No need to insult.

"I don't believe a slow loading memberlist warrants a broad "IPB isn't scalable" declaration."
If a car runs out of gas after 50 miles does that mean it can go 100 miles?

"You're going to tax MySQL sorting through 2 million members without any additional provisions"
Tell that to the largest MySQL database in the world with over 800 million active members.

Keep digging.

New to IPB just got my license and appreciated that discussions like these were in public non-licensed user only forums (private) forums.

As member lists aren't that dynamic in nature, why not make a static file cache of member list generated say every 60 mins ?

If a car runs out of gas after 50 miles does that mean it can go 100 miles?

Yes, it's called 'pushing'. You must be driving a mower to only get 50miles out of a tank.... so it should be pretty light to push in this case.

%7Boption%7D

Anyway, it all depends on what you need out of the software. If you are going to have a forum with a million members and expect millions of posts... you're probably going to run a fairly powerful server. With 3.3 having the archiving feature... you'll have less to worry about then now.

"You're going to tax MySQL sorting through 2 million members without any additional provisions"

Tell that to the largest MySQL database in the world with over 800 million active members.

Let us conveniently forget the fact that Facebook has whole data centers dedicated to MySQL. Apples and oranges.

There are many large forums using IP.Board. Most have no issues with scalability, or the issues they face require server-side provisioning and not necessarily software changes.

We are constantly working to improve efficiency in IP.Board, from little changes to big changes. Not every issue is as black and white as it may seem on the surface.

I do not think you would have any problems with using IP.Board for a "huge" website, provided you have the server resources to back the software up. Whether you run IP.Board or any other software, if your site is huge, you need a good enough server to handle the activity.

if your site is huge, you need a good enough server to handle the activity.

I agree, and in the grand scheme of things server technology (processing power, etc.) is moving ahead at such a rate that every admin will feel the difference upon every server move towards a more powerful machine.

Same thing with storage. Back in the day people used to prune posts - nowadays storage capacity has increased so much that you will never need to do this again due to lack of space.

• 5 weeks later...

The memberlist "issue" is acknowledged, but it's not unique to IPB. I've just looked at the big board list and all sites I've encountered using other, non-IPB software, have their member lists disabled.

Yes, other software have similar issues with memberlist. vbulletin has the same and they are solving that. I know many big boards, including my own who do have memberlist enabled. However, it is very useful to disallow guests from viewing memberlist. Guests do not need it for anything other than spam. Its quite possible that this is also why the sites you reviewed did not seem to have memberlist enabled, while you are viewing as a guest.

We are constantly working to improve efficiency in IP.Board, from little changes to big changes.

This is a very attractive aspect of IPS products. I really hope that IPS will consider a release focused on contemporary performance enhancements. Not because of something wrong with IPS, but because site speed has become very important these days and modern technology allows us to improve page load with sprites, smush.it, YSLOW, cache time, varnish/litespeed cache, using sphinx for queries, not loading irrelevant code, etc.

An old thread I know but I just wanted to add my little observation to the debate as a customer who looked at this forum before making purchases.....

I believe realmaverickuk was correct to make mention of the issue concerning scalability and I did feel that IPB were a bit harsh to come down on him about it when he was informing the customer. However, I do also see IPB's view that willie-waggling over who has the most knowledge/server optimisations/active members was moving away from the constructive sales-answers, particularly where realmaverickuk was talking about a site that focuses more on downloads and CMS stuff rather than their under-used forum of which is central to IPB software!

Maybe in future people like realmaverickuk can feel safe to mention things like scalibility may be an issue with 1M+ members so we are aware of potential problems, but courteous enough to not go too deep into their particular personal reasons why they felt this way unless they are specifically asked to by a potential customer who feel it may be a concern and want to know the facts?
While at the same time IPB could have tried to answer realmaverickuk's constructive remark with a response slightly more professional such as "We are aware that super-sized forums with millions of members may have occasional server issues and are constantly working to resolve them, but it effects less than 2% of all IPB sites and those effected are generally heavily modified from a standard installation". But also at the same time put a stop to this thread the moment arguments over who had the best set-up and accusations that people didn't have their facts right were thrown around!

Just my personal opinion :)

• 2 years later...

Sorry in advance for the necro-post, but what is the number at where the member tables become too large? We're at just under 100,000 right now. Let m know

100k is nothing to worry about or even close. :)

There are many large forums using IP.Board. Most have no issues with scalability, or the issues they face require server-side provisioning and not necessarily software changes.

We are constantly working to improve efficiency in IP.Board, from little changes to big changes. Not every issue is as black and white as it may seem on the surface.

I do not think you would have any problems with using IP.Board for a "huge" website, provided you have the server resources to back the software up. Whether you run IP.Board or any other software, if your site is huge, you need a good enough server to handle the activity.

Sorry but not fully true Brandon :)

And i fully support all the other big board owners that wanted to state this absolute truth to you. There are fundemental errors that causes the issues.

Biggest issue for me is the requirement for high MySQL wait time. Your support engineers constantly suggest default value which is 28800 . It is an unacceptable level of setting for any big board. This is something hopefully will be nailed with IPB 4.

Archived