Suggestion! in the features

Troy Spiral

I just want to say that facebook blows and they should be ashamed of their lack of respect for privacy and personal information. I hope facebook gets replaced by another company with morals. Facebook is to social networking what britney spears is to music.

Popularity =/= quality

But then you're not really saying that facebook features blows, just that the way its run blows. "Liking" is a familiar concept because of facebook and is very popular on forums aswell. That doesn't mean we have to agree with facebook's lack of respect for privacy and personal information.

The reason facebook has been so popular, DESPITE their lack of respect, is because they use features many people like to use and are now very familiar with. I too think like you about their lack of respect but that doesn't mean I don't want "like" on a forum.

My point is; their features != their way of running things

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to say that facebook blows and they should be ashamed of their lack of respect for privacy and personal information. I hope facebook gets replaced by another company with morals. Facebook is to social networking what britney spears is to music.

Popularity =/= quality

I could take that view on certain countries around the globe, but that does not mean that I would not wish to visit them to see their landscape or talk to their residents on the internet (apart from the French that is ;) )

Yes, we have added some "social network" sort of features because our clients asked us to it's what the general public expect. However, we are not forcing anything on anyone. If, for some reason, you loathe the idea of people being able to like things, share content, comment on each others profiles, etc. on your community you can certainly shut those features off in the AdminCP.

That is a big fat lie, because you can't turn off all these features globally. Not in 3.1 at least. So yes, the Facebook-lite mantra is being pretty much forced into us.

IPB is not only forum, but community as well.

What do you think a forum is?

That's clever, hot shot.

Honestly, why be such a jerk to your users? Hmm? If you don't like facebook, then say that but at least be respectful to your users man.

Sorry that I don't share the opinion that everything should be catered to the lowest common demonitator (aka people who think OMG IT SHOULD BE LIKE TWITTER/FACEBOOK/MYSPACE)

If you think it should be, yourself and your users have clearly missed the point of a forum

Sorry that I don't share the opinion that everything should be catered to the lowest common demonitator (aka people who think OMG IT SHOULD BE LIKE TWITTER/FACEBOOK/MYSPACE)

If you think it should be, yourself and your users have clearly missed the point of a forum

I think his point was about respecting your users, not bowing to their every whim. Your post did read a little harsh. :)

Just read back through my posts if you don't believe me.

I don't think you're helping yourself. I'm not going to have a dig at you for being a complainer because some of your points strike home and I agree with them, but your posts come accross as sharp and abrupt. I've raised some points that I don't think are right (for instance, the mobile skin change persisting across devices), but I go about it in a considerate and polite manner. I read your posts and found myself nodding to the points you raise, but shaking my head to the way you go about it. If people perceive your posts to be written in a certain manner, they'll respond to them as such.

I also don't think Charles targetted you, the screenshot is of the 'Like' button usage, not of your post. I had already read your post, Charles screenshot didn't do anything to change my perceptions of it.

That is a big fat lie,

I disagree with you. As Charles says just do not use them if you don't liked. We may well be against Facebook, but if all of our users like facebook we must give them what they want.

Our forums may also be free but in the end, if our communities are not busy we do not have advertising revenue and fail to pay the costs of the server, of additional add on for ipb, of custom skins, etc.. etc..

I consider IPS made a very positive effort ​​to update IPB without changing its primary function as board cms.

They have made ​​some courageous decisions and we must appreciate this even if don't agree with all they have done.

Rikki has outdone himself creating a skin which is bright, functional and very friendly we may not like some graphic elements (for example, I find incomprehensible those pink parts) but for just some single aspect we do not like. we can not lose sight of the 'overall picture, let's admit it , they did a great job with ipb 3.2.

I respect your idea, probably you like you a Bord without any social aspects, however, you must also respects others choices.

Charles, Matt & Co can not satisfy everyone, they need to find compromises between your idea of ​​board and that of others, who, like me, think that ipb 3.2 has not enough social aspects

For example, I find that it is wrong that the members profile is visible to all users and not just the ones that I add as a "friend", I find is wrong that in my profile there is only a single photo and can't have a small gallery show more photo pf me (of course visible only to who I add as friends). I find that is wrong we can groups and that we can't have private spaces to discuss with my friends (or we use PM or a public discussion on the contrary of what you can do on facebook.)

If our members spend less time on our boards and more on facebook, don't you think that FB respond better to users need in 2011?

My two cents :wink:

Love it!!! :laugh: ..... No wait, like it.

I had the coffee spray the monitor when I saw that pic. LOL

As for the facebook features, I think it would be cool if the like button actually posted the like to a person's facebook wall. This way we can leverage facebook to gain more traffic!

Did you not read what I said? I said that you are fully entitled to your opinion and you're also fully allowed to express it(my exact words were "if you don't like facebook then say that"). It's just that you don't have to be such a dick to your users and blow them off by pretending to be superior. You tried to be "smart" by coming up with a clever punch-line, yet you failed completely to see my point - so much for being clever I guess..

In the end I guess we can't discuss new features with those who are single-side minded who can only see black or white such as displayed by Robulosity above.

I disagree with you.

Then please show me where I can disable these features globally, my reply was towards someone saying "you can just turn them off" as an argument. Has nothing to do with what you replied with.

I respect your idea, probably you like you a Bord without any social aspects, however, you must also respects others choices.

My idea is not being respected when the software does not give me any options by allowing such featues to be disabled. It is easy to be happy when you are the one being catered to.

I like being able to rate things up or down ala youtube. Not a fan to only be able to rate things up.

I see it similar to being a teacher not able to tell a student they are totally wrong on something and only able to tell them they did a good job. The Like feature of facebook started with hotornot where you rated people based on their photo. If a politician says something really dumb or misunderstands history on their facebook wall you can only like their comment or respond that they are wrong which usually nets you a comment deleted.

I plan on using up and down ratings only even if that opens the door to abuses. I think there are ways to limit abuses but only providing a way to rate things positively is bias for a community imo

I like being able to rate things up or down ala youtube. Not a fan to only be able to rate things up.

I see it similar to being a teacher not able to tell a student they are totally wrong on something and only able to tell them they did a good job. The Like feature of facebook started with hotornot where you rated people based on their photo. If a politician says something really dumb or misunderstands history on their facebook wall you can only like their comment or respond that they are wrong which usually nets you a comment deleted.

I plan on using up and down ratings only even if that opens the door to abuses. I think there are ways to limit abuses but only providing a way to rate things positively is bias for a community imo

And I like pancakes with strawberry jam. Not a fan of syrup.. but what does that have to do with anything?
Way to go to miss a point and go completely off topic :smile:

I don't think you're helping yourself. I'm not going to have a dig at you for being a complainer because some of your points strike home and I agree with them, but your posts come accross as sharp and abrupt. I've raised some points that I don't think are right (for instance, the mobile skin change persisting across devices), but I go about it in a considerate and polite manner. I read your posts and found myself nodding to the points you raise, but shaking my head to the way you go about it. If people perceive your posts to be written in a certain manner, they'll respond to them as such.

I also don't think Charles targetted you, the screenshot is of the 'Like' button usage, not of your post. I had already read your post, Charles screenshot didn't do anything to change my perceptions of it.

My tone is directly related to the fact that many of these issues have been going on literally for years with no resolution. I was a lot less frustrated one and two years ago.

My tone is directly related to the fact that many of these issues have been going on literally for years with no resolution. I was a lot less frustrated one and two years ago.

I get that, which is why I made the point to say I agree with some of the things you say. But you don't just direct your frustrations at staff, it gets aimed at users too. Just an observation, not a dig or anything. Hopefully this is coming across in the right way! :)

And I like pancakes with strawberry jam. Not a fan of syrup.. but what does that have to do with anything?

Way to go to miss a point and go completely off topic :smile:

His reply is not off-topic. He is talking about the issues inherent in a feature that only allows users to rate content in a positive manner, in other words the "LIke This" button and thus making IPB resemble Facebook. You create a completely different mentality within your community if you are only allowed to say positive things as opposed to being allowed to point out bad content as well.

His reply is not off-topic. He is talking about the issues inherent in a feature that only allows users to rate content in a positive manner, in other words the "LIke This" button and thus making IPB resemble Facebook. You create a completely different mentality within your community if you are only allowed to say positive things as opposed to being allowed to point out bad content as well.

Yes you do and I'm not arguing that but that wasn't the point.
The point was that facebook's features IS NOT THE SAME as the way it's run.

Christophe had a grudge towards facebook because of how little respect they have for user privacy and it sounded like that was the reason he didn't want facebook features to be added to IPB.

Popularity =/= quality

My point was that it's little to nothing wrong with their features and they shouldn't be dismissed just because facebook isn't very respectful towards their users or for whatever reason you dislike facebook. Now obviously almost all features can ALWAYS be approved upon and so can probably the like-system with a "dislike". Again, that wasn't the point.

God do I love seeing admins with small sites hate "social networking" features and those with larger sites like having more activity on our sites actually promoting many of these features. The fact of the matter is, most of you admins' opinions don't even matter. It's our users opinions' that matter. If these features are going to increase the activity on my site, then I'm all for it. If it doesn't, then I'm removing it and trying something new. DONE. That's what some of you don't realize. You can't stick in this stagnant thing that we've known for many years...we have to innovate and create something that users are going to like and use a lot more than what we currently have!! Facebook has some of the highest ROI! I would love it if my site had that. They have the largest audience...I'm sorry if you f**ls "admins" want nothing of it, but eff that, I want a lil piece of that! I want to increase my user activity, usability and readability. If you don't want that, then wtf are you doing. Get out of this industry.

If you want it to be more like Facebook, I think all you need is an IP.Content front page with the members profile details, a status update box and a friends list with a message button. That is the main parts of Facebook, very shallow. Is this possible? The good thing about a forum is lots of members can get involved with a discussion.

This is Business 101 stuff guys.

Social media integration and innovations are the new "thing." If you're a professional with any level of talent you should know fads are important to keep up with in this rapidly-changing online world. Being able to keep up with what your users want is the mark of a successful business. I don't understand how there is any controversy about this.

If chickens became the new "thing," guess what? You should put chickens on your site! Going against that concept is like saying you don't want to make money. The same applies to social media. It's not about what you think; it's about what the customer thinks. If you can't keep up, too bad; the competition will.

Archived