Community

Eduardo Bautista

Why do people love to hate Apple?

I'll admit it, I am one of them, but slowly growing out of it. Sure they do a lot of questionable things, but the integration and feel of their software across all their devices is amazing. I currently have a gaming PC (will be upgrading the graphics card to an 7870 when they come out in 2012) so I am no stranger to the fact that you can get a cheaper pc with better specs (I built my PC). The problem is, even if you manage to get all the features on a windows or linux computer that are on OS X, all the software you are using will feel "foreign" to each other. I am the type of person who loves to keep everything in sync. This is one of the reasons I am trying to use everything google since my android phone syncs with all their services: Picasa, Google Docs, Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Voice, Google Reader, Google Music, and more...

But I feel that Apple is just doing a better job than everyone else now. Might buy a Macbook Air when they new ones are released, then prepare to switch over to the iPhone when the new one is released as well. I am starting to feel that people hate them because they can't afford it (of course there will be exceptions to this and they will point it out below).

Also, I am not bashing on Windows, I think it's a very good OS and has been running very smooth. I will most likely always have a dedicated Windows machine for gaming and it's always convenient to have an extra computer in the house for who knows what. Still don't know if I will buy a desktop Mac anytime soon though.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

That quote is very, very, very true.

So what is your view on this?

If they don't even allow you to change the battery, I ain't spending the money!!!

The Apple philiosophy is to lock users in, which they have managed to do very successfully. It's not for me...

Apple isn't the only one doing this and I don't see this as a bad thing. If Macbooks had a removal battery it will ruin their unibody design.

If they don't even allow you to change the battery, I ain't spending the money!!!

The Apple philiosophy is to lock users in, which they have managed to do very successfully. It's not for me...

Apple isn't the only one doing this and I don't see this as a bad thing. If Macbooks had a removal battery it will ruin their unibody design.

If you need a computer for heavy use, go desktop. I should only need to use a laptop for school and rarely at home. The laptop design is amazing and shouldn't be changed.

The main thing I am looking over as I prepare my switch, is iCloud. Going to see how the transition from google's services will go. Gmail is clearly the better e-mail service but I will see if I can live without it. I might keep using Gmail or forward it to the me.com e-mail address. Good thing Google is cool about letting us move away from them if we want lol.

For the record MacBooks have removable batteries. The whole bottom comes off as one piece, making just about everything accessible. See this video, among many others. The iPhone 4/4S is even easier than the unibody MacBook. See this video.

Now the older 3GS/3G iPhone's is harder, mainly because of the curved design, but it's not impossible. See this video.

Now why would Apple go this route? Well the biggest reason is it's more efficient. The connectors are much more compact, and the connection is more solid and tight. Easily removable batteries loosely connect with the device. You may say that there's a profit motivation of people just buying a new phone... I wouldn't disagree! But the connectors are better.

Some people say that if you do this you'll void your warranty... perhaps it's true with the iPhone (don't think it is with MacBook), but chances are if your battery is going bad you're out of warranty anyway.

Because their products break too easily and can't do many things that are standard in Windows.

Really? Care to provide some examples? I'm typing on my six year old first gen MacBook and it works like a champ. Granted I've replaced the battery once, but it still works great! Has Snow Leopard on it. The only problem I've had with Apple products thus far was issues with upgrading from Tiger to Leopard (10.5.0) with my existing software. But admittedly, I should have waited for some patches to Leopard AND my software, which can be said for ANY OS upgrade. Lesson learned!

Macs are expensive. There is no getting around that. But they work well. The only Mac that works great as a gaming rig is the Mac Pro because you can really upgrade the thing. If I had the money I would buy one. But I can buy a PC for half the cost and have a decent gaming rig. The iMacs only last as gaming machines for 6 months and then their hardware is not fit for the newer games. Contrast that with a gaming rig with a kick ass video card that will last me a few years. If you're a casual gamer you could probably get away with an iMac... but if you're really into games you're not going to get very far unless you can afford to spend at least $2500 on a Mac Pro (base model). Everything else, a Mac is awesome!

Because their products break too easily and can't do many things that are standard in Windows.

Yeah, I would like to know as well. The MAIN thing that I know won't work as well on the Mac is games, but I will of course have my dedicated gaming PC that I can upgrade easily for that. I might also stick to my windows machine for php coding and other heavy stuff. I find Macs better for home usage, Windows for work and games.

Macs are expensive. There is no getting around that. But they work well. The only Mac that works great as a gaming rig is the Mac Pro because you can really upgrade the thing. If I had the money I would buy one. But I can buy a PC for half the cost and have a decent gaming rig. The iMacs only last as gaming machines for 6 months and then their hardware is not fit for the newer games. Contrast that with a gaming rig with a kick ass video card that will last me a few years. If you're a casual gamer you could probably get away with an iMac... but if you're really into games you're not going to get very far unless you can afford to spend at least $2500 on a Mac Pro (base model). Everything else, a Mac is awesome!

Yeah, I would much rather build my own Windows PC that can play Crysis on very high and buy an iMac because the price will come out to be the same as a Mac Pro but you will have two computers. You also have to install windows on the Mac Pro anyways.

Also, I don't understand why you're saying you'll have a decent gaming rig for half the cost of a mac pro...you should have a GREAT gaming rig for that price. Battlefield 3 should run easily on that.

True, but I've had my Mac for a few years now and I don't have $2500 to blow on a Mac Pro. If I had good enough hardware on my Mac (which is usually the problem) and the game was also available on Mac OS X (another common problem) I could play the game just as good as Windows. The gaming problem on Mac is really two problems... Apple's all-in-one obsession (harder upgradability) and not all game vendors support both platforms. Not to say that the all-in-one thing doesn't work... because it does for everything else! But I really wish the price would come down on those Mac Pros!

Valve and Blizzard games works quite well on the Mac. Was very happy to see Valve jump on the multi-platform bandwagon. Blizzards been doing it for a long time already.

True, but I've had my Mac for a few years now and I don't have $2500 to blow on a Mac Pro. If I had good enough hardware on my Mac (which is usually the problem) and the game was also available on Mac OS X (another common problem) I could play the game just as good as Windows. The gaming problem on Mac is really two problems... Apple's all-in-one obsession (harder upgradability) and not all game vendors support both platforms. Not to say that the all-in-one thing works... because it does for everything else! But I really wish the price would come down on those Mac Pros!

Luckily, Valve makes their games work on both platforms now...so when Half Life 3 is released in 2020 we will know that it will work on the OS XI

Yep. Sorry I edited my post, probably after you hit "Quote". I have an obsession with heavily critique my posts even after I post them :).

Yep. Sorry I edited my post, probably after you hit "Quote". I have an obsession with heavily critique my posts even after I post them :smile:.

Yup, I noticed haha.

Also, the thing that makes Apple stand apart from everyone else is the physical design of their products. They have high standards when it comes to the physical appearance of their products.

Such as?

Well, to be fair, I believe that Macs can do most things that Windows can, but they aren't compatible with many programs I use (assuming we're talking Mac OS and not Windows installed on a Mac, and I'm referring to all types of programs, not PC games, which I don't play). Also, [to me] the Mac interface is less intuitive and more cumbersome to use (although I've always liked their Exposé feature). That being said, when Mac OS works, it's generally not something I hate.

What I do hate about Macs is that (from my experience and the experiences of others I know) they break much more easily - both the hardware and the OS itself - and more often for no apparent reason and to a greater extent, than any Windows product I've used.

Apple products are notorious [or should be notorious] for craptastic batteries, at least the older models. In highschool, our class was temporarily given free MacBooks, and about a quarter to half of the students' MacBook batteries came up with issues months later to less than 2 years later: battery power running out in minutes, the screen going blank at 35% battery power remaining, batteries completely dying, etc. I have never seen any PC laptop battery deteriorate this quickly.

I later picked up a newer MacBook, and the battery in that died twice: once after about 1.5 years of use, and then after a few months of use after being replaced.

This MacBook also shat itself after 2 years. The HDD and/or something else completely died unexpectedly without any early warning sign (it literally started f-ing up the same day it died), and a fortune had to be paid to get it refurbished and to preserve the data.

The iPods I have used or come across have followed a similar pattern. 3 of the 6 iPods in my household each died in less than 2 years of rare to moderate use.

Speaking of shoddy hardware, iPod headphones are awful (the default ones), and Apple's keyboard design is constrained to the point that it can be a hassle. A special key combination is needed to type something as common as the # sign, for instance.

Nowadays, there are still notable issues with the Mac OS itself. For example, on Mac Leopard, Safari can no longer update to the latest version, Safari and Mail are missing buttons, Safari and iTunes cannot be reinstalled despite the destination volume meeting the requirements, iTunes can no longer perform some tasks without first updating but the update can only be applied on slightly newer Mac versions, etc.

However, from my experience, Mac programs do seem to crash less often than Windows programs do, although when Mac programs do crash, it more often happens without user intervention (not a click) compared to when Windows programs do.

too many reasons

1- their products are ridiculously overpriced. Apple would sell you a can of coke for $50. For the same price as the mac-broke you can get a laptop and desktop computer and still save enough money to take your GF to a nice restaurant.

2- They re-invent the wheel all the time not in a clever way but in douchie kind of way that makes their fanboys dance around. take their iphone 4S, it has a speech recognition system wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow such system existed since the 70s but Apple presented as innovation. dunno what they innovate in here. My Toshiba laptop can reconize my face and it will log me in when I pop my ugly face in front of the camera (no password required) I guess the next iphone would have the same but once more fan boys will go nuts.

3- they lock you in. You're always connected to their apple store and itunes. oh and now they have the icloud. yeah can you believe that? no body ever thought of such an idea. currently they are doing experiments on HUMANCENTiPAD

4- they use cult-based marketing techniques like the we vs them and the annoying i prefix in front of all their product names.

The price is a major concern, charging 200$ in Canada for 8gb of Laptop Ram? Its usually just stickered kingston ram

Look I can admit, their machines look nice but that's what they are.. Eye Candy, they are far to fragile in most situtations. Not to mention if you happen to fall out of warranty and something breaks, they over charge.. Example friends 15" 5 year old MB pro needs a new logic board, they want.. 900$.. even with the GPU and processor included, it is not worth that in the least

Bottom line, Apples success is based on two things
1) Early Adaptation of Touch screen phones
2) Public Relations/marketting

I remember when Apple said Microsoft was slandering them for the original "I'm a PC commercials" despite them out right having years worth of commercials just crapping all over Windows Based Systems

Just reading the pro-Apple posts it really seems you guys make a lot of concessions for the privilege of owning an Apple product. No games, coding or hardware upgrades. Extra upfront cost (significant) less compatibility with the rest of the world.

I'm not a hater, I would love to be able to slap OSX onto a homebuilt computer. But no can do, kimosabi. Other than that, I'm just not gonna shell out a whole bunch of extra dough for somewhat limited capabilities. I kinda wonder why people are such fans of Apple in the first place. Nothing to hate, just wonder........

Both OSes are fine nowadays (although both have their quirks which annoy the crap about of me). Both can do everything the other can.

I use Macs for a few reasons:
- I think the hardware is brilliant. They're practical (I have a Macbook Air which is awesome for portability), they look good, and the only hardware problem I've ever had they they didn't offer to fix for free was when I damaged it.
- I find the OS less intrusive. This is just a personal preference and not based on any facts.
- I love the applications available for my specific job - Coda, Sequel Pro, Versions and Transmit are fantastic for web development, and better than any Windows equivalent I've ever used.
- I like to play with iOS development for which you need a Mac.

But yeah - there's nothing particularly special about either.

iPhone on the other hand is a completely different story - if you don't have an iPhone, you're crazy :tongue:

Bottom line, Apples success is based on two things

1) Early Adaptation of Touch screen phones

and now they are waging crusades against anyone who has used or would ever think to use their "patents" even their long term partners!

too many reasons

1- their products are ridiculously overpriced. Apple would sell you a can of coke for $50. For the same price as the mac-broke you can get a laptop and desktop computer and still save enough money to take your GF to a nice restaurant.

2- They re-invent the wheel all the time not in a clever way but in douchie kind of way that makes their fanboys dance around. take their iphone 4S, it has a speech recognition system wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow such system existed since the 70s but Apple presented as innovation. dunno what they innovate in here. My Toshiba laptop can reconize my face and it will log me in when I pop my ugly face in front of the camera (no password required) I guess the next iphone would have the same but once more fan boys will go nuts.

3- they lock you in. You're always connected to their apple store and itunes. oh and now they have the icloud. yeah can you believe that? no body ever thought of such an idea. currently they are doing experiments on HUMANCENTiPAD

[media]

[/media]

4- they use cult-based marketing techniques like the we vs them and the annoying i prefix in front of all their product names.

1. Yes they are overpriced, we all know this, but the products look nice and you don't have to call some guy in India for tech support if you ever need it (although, I never have needed more support than a google search for my Windows 7 machine).
2. If it weren't for apple, there probably wouldn't be android or even a tablet market. They deserve credit for that. Having an Android phone I can also tell you that Siri is far better than the voice recognition system in Android. I also don't know what voice recognition system in the 70s would update your calendar or tell you the weather without using very specific word patterns.

3. Even though I believe iTunes is the most bloated piece of crap their is, you don't have to use the desktop software anymore and it isn't that bad on iOS devices. They never claimed to be the first to think of using the cloud. So, Android should be criticized because they didn't come up with a touchscreen phone with an appstore before Apple? This argument is just dumb...

4. Their marketing is quite amazing. Better than the crappy marketing most other companies use. Sure they exaggerate a bit in their commercials, but hey, at least they know how to market something...