Tell us the bad, as well as the good.

Marcher Technologies

......If you nuke a feature, TELL us.
You seem keen to tell us about "new" features, and we are keen to hear them, but at this point, its with a tinge of fear, as you DONT tell us the features you've blithely removed.
I would have liked to know IPBlog 2.5 has no custom headers, I'm certain others have had their surprises with other features they utilized now vacant.
Just give us the BAD as well as the good.
TELL us when you remove a feature.... better yet, ASK, if plausible.

Have to agree with this to a point. I don't mind loosing the custom headers, but today i spent half an hour trying to figure out where they had gone.

exactly.
Every time a setting/feature is removed, we're left looking for something that doesn't exist.... even if we didn't utilize it heavily, even if we really don't care about it, there it is.
By not telling us, you waste our time looking for something non-existent.

side note, most of us coders and site admins are frazzled enough.... it doesn't help to wonder if we've lost our minds because of an upgrade(I KNOW that setting was RIGHT here!!!).
All I propose is this.

ex.
after the Changes and new features in this version include:
Depreciated features in this version include:
just give us the info.... before we make the leap.

Viewing this 'from the outside looking in' gives a different perspective to how IPS may see things. It's almost like IPS are afraid of the flack they will get if they announce removed features. Without any doubt IPS would get negative feedback as people do not like change (as Matt said in the other topic) especially if its a feature that has been removed that they use. BUT at least its transparent and gives us a chance to do something about it.

I don't think there is really any way to avoid this kind of feedback any way (ask any customer services department) as people are quick to complain but slow to compliment, so you might as well tell us the good and bad news ahead of release. When stuff goes in to beta testing is the time for that IMO.

As also mentioned in the other topic, let us know if a feature is removed/becomes an ACP option/becomes a IPS add-in hook/available for 3rd party hook development.

If a developer knows in enough time that a function is being dropped, It might give an early start to hook development. When an update is released many admins and developers are too damned busy finding out WTF is going on and dealing with bugs/changed features/deployment etc instead of spending time constructively writing apps and hooks.

This statement stands true and is something I always stand by in my business dealings.
"Tell me bad news and I can plan with it, tell me nothing and I am dead in the water"

regards
Richard

To be fair, no one (beta testers) mentioned their disappearance during Blog 2.5 beta testing which would of been the ideal time to ask what / why. :smile:

Not so fair, to be honest. Beta test pools are limited in scope. Every possibility can't be tested, and customer beta testers are primarily interested in finding bugs that relate to their own installation.

I should note that we did have a (locked and pinned) topic that detailed removed features from IP.Board 3.2 before it was released, and it helped very little. Outside of announcing "hey everyone, xyz was removed!" (which is pointless, this isn't really announcement or blog-worthy information), putting the information out there wasn't really spotted. We'll try to keep note of this for the future.

....and with IPC 2.3 ahead............. ummm... yeah, upon release, I would like a list of whats been axed/moved right below whats been added..... That right there could be disastrous if handled improperly IMO.

A few unnecessary settings have been removed or combined, and a couple of fields have been made IN-DEV only, but no functionality has been removed from 2.3 to date (the settings that were removed were done so because you can already control the same functionality in a different manner). More information on these changes will be forthcoming in planned blog entries.

Thanks for your reply Brandon.

Sorry if my comments may have seemed negative, they were meant as constructive and hopefully received in that way. I think you can tell that myself, and it would seem many others, failed to see the notification. As you pointed out, a topic was made but wasn't really spotted. So my apologies for any accusations that IPS failed to inform, it was just unnoticed.

Maybe for the future, add a standard header or footer note in IPS blog entries with a notice about effected features with a link to the topic. I have a big red flashing arrow gif you are welcome to use if you wish ;) - just kidding, but I think that positive and constructive actions will come of this :)

regards
Richard.

I can't answer for other people, but I may be a victim of my own browsing habits :o

I very rarely view the actual forums. I use the view new content function and the search. I don't think an announcement is seen at topic level?

That's not a criticism of IPS or an excuse for me not reading the topic, just maybe a reason for me (personally) missing it completely. I have no idea how else I managed to miss it. And yeah, I know what you mean about people not reading things, you can only do so much.

regards
Richard

I can't answer for other people, but I may be a victim of my own browsing habits :o

I very rarely view the actual forums. I use the view new content function and the search. I don't think an announcement is seen at topic level?

That's not a criticism of IPS or an excuse for me not reading the topic, just maybe a reason for me (personally) missing it completely. I have no idea how else I managed to miss it. And yeah, I know what you mean about people not reading things, you can only do so much.

regards

Richard

.....You make it so easy to skip straight to topics/posts LOL.
Most often, I get to the forum view via the breadcrumbs IN a topic... rather than clicking directly into it from index.
And that's when i bother to hit that level Intentionally :laugh: .

Archived