Where are the large IPB 3.x + websites?

altenerg

Flew right over your head lol. Hopefully others get it rather than trying to put my words into an extreme context lol. Wont waste time debating with you any further. Have seen you on here you are a perfect example of a disconnected genius. ...a compliment. :smile:

I do "see" the brunt of your point as a note...... An Error Occurred in big glaring text cause one clicked a link they cannot "see" is rather disconcerting to the new user.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then just be cool then, you had me fooled. :smile: Lets work with IPS so they can tweak things for improvments. Yes we can make a lot of these changes on our own but face it what % of new IPB owers are going to be making such changes? I just want to see this software pull up in a few but important areas because it kills the comp in all the other categories. But if a user gets and/or keeps more traffic using ugly vbulletin then its worth more to use it.

Reminds me a bit of my stocks the last 6 months... sideways lol. Its a great site I'm bookmarking for help with my Galaxy S2. Seems like they got dugg, slashdotted or something similar a couple major times. Its a great site should be listed in an IPB showcase, I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

I clicked on the "

View New Content

" link there to see how busy posting was and got "An Error Occurred" not sure how search being disabled is an error. :hmm:

Thank you, If you take the last 6 months, it gives you a better picture... there were a couple of peaks... these are due to massive traffic on release day of highly sought after roms.

The first spike was "Ice Cream Sandiwdch" the second was "Touchpad Release" (largest), than the last two were some new Cyanogen Rom's release I believe.

I think it's important to keep things in context and remember here - IPB is not "new". We've been around almost 10 years, and the software is very well established. There are thousands (literally) of "forum startup sites" that have grown using our software. While some of the ideas we are not opposed to (going over the error screens is already on our list for instance), I would not look at these things as "nails in the coffin" for IP.Board. ;)

PHPBB was launched Dec 2000 and vbulletin also first released in Feb 2000. I was using early versions of vb in 1999 when I had my first forum that I later sold the day before 9/11 lol. So I'm not sure what not being "new" has to do with it. Would have loved to see "management" with a more step-up type of approch. Hopefully the backbone is there. But ok its not "new" so we'll just leave it at that. Thanks for the response

Stop telling users what they cannot do and show them how to get involved! Also, please tone down the error messages that seem so fatal its enough to scare the "average" user off.

+1 and encourage members to fill out their profiles after registration when they login. Take a look at this topic:

PHPBB was launched Dec 2000 and vbulletin also first released in Feb 2000. I was using early versions of vb in 1999 when I had my first forum that I later sold the day before 9/11 lol. So I'm not sure what not being "new" has to do with it. Would have loved to see "management" with a more step-up type of approch. Hopefully the backbone is there. But ok its not "new" so we'll just leave it at that. Thanks for the response

I only pointed out IP.Board is not new to show that these things have not been a major deterrent over the last 10 or so years. While we strive to continue to improve, most of the things pointed out are how the software has worked for some time and aren't likely to "make or break" a site.

Some of the changes suggested we've already got on our roadmap, as I mentioned.

Take for exampe the "new topic" and "new reply" buttons for IPB, VB and PHPBB. As you know often people visit a forum to err post a question or reply to a topic that they found. Here's IPB's buttons with NO HYPERLINKS:

post-179211-0-20365800-1321899189.png
post-179211-0-97919000-1321899210.png

I've remove all of mine from my board because they so bad for SEO

Take for exampe the "new topic" and "new reply" buttons for IPB, VB and PHPBB. As you know often people visit a forum to err post a question or reply to a topic that they found. Here's IPB's buttons with NO HYPERLINKS:

post-179211-0-20365800-1321899189.png
post-179211-0-97919000-1321899210.png

Here's vb and phpbb:

post-179211-0-10436700-1321899236.png
post-179211-0-34624900-1321899245.png

both hyperlinking the user to some sort of registration page! eg:

post-179211-0-33116800-1321899276_thumb.

For errors on IPB we have something like this:

post-179211-0-81680900-1321899303_thumb.

This is just one fraction of 1 of the issues. Not even talking about the lack of seo. I wish somehow I could get on the dev team. The software is sooo much better than vb and phpbb in many important ways but with the current disconnect it makes it harder to grow.

Of course, i've reworded the "You cannot make a reply" buttons and linked them to the registration page but things like this should not be left up to publishers. I think the beauty of software such as wordpress (blog i know), phpbb and vb is that u put them online add unique content and they WILL GROW!

Stop telling users what they cannot do and show them how to get involved! Also, please tone down the error messages that seem so fatal its enough to scare the "average" user off.

Please do this software some justice, its being held back by those two things... new-user-UNfriendlyness lol and the lack of proper seo.

:grin: Thank you! -->

• 2 months later...

Messuring a large site by how many post there are not a good way to messure if its a large community. Take

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

for instance, is close under 1M posts, but they delete and prune their boards regulary. Steamforums are ranked

on alexa.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/ They switched to vbulletin. :smile:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's not a "mega" forum, but it's definitely a "big board". 1.2+ million posts and 10,600 members in 17 months isn't too shabby if you ask me. :)

How many of these big boards started off on IPB?

MLP Forums has been on IP.Board since day 1. Many of my earliest members actually informed me that part of the reason they gave the site a chance in its early days was because it felt extremely modern and user-friendly, and we've done a lot of custom development since to improve this even further. We've never had an SEO problem and consistently rank #1 or somewhere near it for many search terms in our niche.

Archived