Cannot register from IP...

Axel Wers

We need setting which doesn't allow to register from specific IP address. Will prevent spam. Ban is solution, but this can decrease traffic.

How many people in your area have static IP adresses? If I wanted to spam your forum I'd just restart my router, takes ~20 seconds.

So basically, ban from registering but not from viewing the site or from signing in if they already have an account?

For example I would deny registrations from (Indian) Korean IP: 115.0.0.0 - 115.255.255.255. They can view my board, read topics but cannot register.

I would block whole NetRange, then you can restart your router every second, won't help.

Nice idea. I would try a proxy first, then the things would get nastier. Provided I really wanted to spam your forums... I guess not many would do that for this purpose :), so it's not a bad idea.

If this gets implemented, then next people will be asking for the ability to block certain IP addresses from posting new topics, but allowing them to post replies. Or blocking them from giving reputation but allowing them to rate topics.

If you don't want a certain IP address range registering on your site, block it. Why would they need to see the site, but not be able to join?

Why would they need to see the site, but not be able to join?

I am not sure if I allow Europe and North America but block rest of world, if it decreases my traffic what I don't want at all.

Nice idea. I would try a proxy first, then the things would get nastier.

I don't have any problems with people but with spammmers from south-east asian countries, who has nothing with my board.

For example I would deny registrations from (Indian) Korean IP: 115.0.0.0 - 115.255.255.255. They can view my board, read topics but cannot register.

It will never work you know why because there is a lot software on the market that can block you're IP and give you another country IP to get access to any site if you block or banned if you don't believe me here is a link to one software http://www.hide-my-ip.com/

Archived