Newsletters

HeadStand

I've been trying for about 2 weeks to get my newsletters working.

I can't seem to figure it out.

I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, removed the previous newsletters, started new ones....

I just can't get them to go out automatically.

1. Please PM me with the contents of your log file. The log file should be in your cache directory, and should be called "newsletter.cgi".
2. Have you tried forcing the distribution? Does it work when you
a) Manually trigger the distribution task? (You can find this under System -> System Scheduler -> [HSC] Newsletters -> Automated Newsletters)
b) Manually publish the newsletter? (Other Apps -> [HSC] Newsletters -> Newsletter -> Publish Newsletter)

Thanks.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are we at the moment with this mod, is it stable enough to use in a production environment?. I kinda figure it is with the responses above, just wondering if there are any outstanding niggles that need ironed out?. Also, could you possibly send me another example of how the mod looks now, will be planning on purchasing this week if all goes well :smile:

From what I can see, support looks great which is one of the main reasons I'm interested in taking up this mod.
Marko

This does surprise me - I had got the impression that Headstand was a responsible developer, he/she quite possibly still is but one thing that turns me off from a mod real quick is when the developer disappears for days on end with no explanation and then someone says they can't get it to work after paying for it. I did the same recently for a "minimum characters" mod, paid $10 and then had to figure a solution to a prob myself as there was no support available. It's probably going to be a while before I decide to pay for another mod based on what's happening here at Invision at the moment.

All,

I would like to apologize for the lack of proper support over the last couple of weeks. I've been incredibly ill and am still recovering. I am finally starting to get back on my feet, but I'm still not 100%.

Please bear with me for a couple more days while I get back to normal.

Thank you all for your patience.

Esther

I bought this and sent my first html newsletter the day before yesterday. Found it easy to setup (I only wanted to send a digest of the weekly hot topics). Sent without issue.. waiting to see if it sends automatically next week. There's an example of the newsletter sent in the general area of fieldtofarm.com forum.

If I had one recommendation.. if the sidebar block linked the newsletter title to the most recent forum topic for the newsletter that would be cool.

Thank you for the mod and I hope you feel better soon.

I've been trying for about 2 weeks to get my newsletters working.

I can't seem to figure it out.

I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, removed the previous newsletters, started new ones....

I just can't get them to go out automatically.

Thank you for the support. The author of the mod worked with me for 3 hours today to get this working.

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. It contains a fix for the automated distributions not going out. (Thank you very much to Digityman for all of the testing today.)

I have also implemented the following request:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If I had one recommendation.. if the sidebar block linked the newsletter title to the most recent forum topic for the newsletter that would be cool.

Thank you everyone for your patience. If there are any further issues, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased and installed

Some comments:
make the HTML rebuild/re-cache part of the instructions before creating any news letters.
It isn't repecting formatting from inside the topics. For example, we put the author name in bold using the {b] tags yet the tags themselves are simply printed instead of showing bold in the newletter.
On the latest database records content. There needs to be the ability to pull the attached image from that article if it exists and define the maximum dimensions of the image.
Need the ability to edit the section titles of the automatic content.

Just purchased and installed

Some comments:

make the HTML rebuild/re-cache part of the instructions before creating any news letters.

I'd rather not. This is a bug, I have to figure out why it's doing it in the first place. :wink:

It isn't repecting formatting from inside the topics. For example, we put the author name in bold using the {b] tags yet the tags themselves are simply printed instead of showing bold in the newletter.

Is this plain-text or HTML?

On the latest database records content. There needs to be the ability to pull the attached image from that article if it exists and define the maximum dimensions of the image.

I'll add this to the enhancement list, but no timeline on the next release.

Need the ability to edit the section titles of the automatic content.

See previous comment.

Is it possible to follow up on readers with this script? How many have read it, how many was not recieved (because of faulty/full e-mail or other error on client-side), maybe how many clicks on link in the e-mail, etc?

Hmmmm..... well, here's the thing:
1. "How many have read it" - I have no way to track this at all.

2. "How many were not received" - I've tried to do this before. The problem here is that IPB is catching all the email errors and handling them, and they never get returned to my code. I haven't yet found a way to pick these up.

3. "How many clicks on link" - This is tricky. The app would have to rewrite all links in each newsletter so that the user would first be directed to some central location that would record the click, and then be forwarded to the proper URL. That part is OK, BUT.... it doesn't account for the plain-text newsletters (which do not allow clickable links), so it may not be an accurate representation. Additionally, you'd have to do either all the links or none - which could potentially give you a hell of a lot of info that you don't necessarily need or want. For example, if your newsletter shows the latest 10 topics, do you want to record all 10 hits? If anything, I could see it being useful to track how many members click ANY link from the newsletter (so only the first hit for each member is recorded).

I'd rather not. This is a bug, I have to figure out why it's doing it in the first place. :wink:

Is this plain-text or HTML?

I'll add this to the enhancement list, but no timeline on the next release.

See previous comment.

How about "in the meantime" so new purchasers like me don't have to go hunting through the help topic to find out why did didn't work on first install even though we followed the instructions.

HTML of course.

Thank you, I look forward to those editions. The ability to discard the IPB header graphic and make a newletter specific graphic instead would also be great.

I think the addition of the pictures in the email from articles plus that above suggestion would turn this from a $30 product into a $50 product.

As far as tracking how many emails have been read, there may be a way to put a google analytics tag in there, but that would require the forum admin having an analytics account.

Hmmmm..... well, here's the thing:

1. "How many have read it" - I have no way to track this at all.

Couldn´t a 1-pixel picture be added and then measured how many times it was showned (not 100% but atleast something)?

Would also be nice if you could have some layout-possibilites as too where the blocks end up (maybe a couple of column-designs to choose from or something)?
Also, can the IPB-logo at the top of the sent e-mail be replaced?

Would also be nice if you could have some layout-possibilites as too where the blocks end up (maybe a couple of column-designs to choose from or something)?

Also, can the IPB-logo at the top of the sent e-mail be replaced?

You are free to customize the CSS classes that are used by the outgoing HTML emails. All emails are wrapped in the default IPB email templates (which is why you're seeing the IPB logo). You can find this in cache/skin_cache/emailWrapper.php.

You are free to customize the CSS classes that are used by the outgoing HTML emails. All emails are wrapped in the default IPB email templates (which is why you're seeing the IPB logo). You can find this in cache/skin_cache/emailWrapper.php.

From what i understand these are "core-files" and will be overwritten with any update of the forum. In this thread there some suggestion you could reach it through a hook instead: http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-33911-htmlemailwrapper-not-working/

Might this be possible to include in [HSC32] Newsletters for better usability without touching core-files?

From what i understand these are "core-files" and will be overwritten with any update of the forum. In this thread there some suggestion you could reach it through a hook instead:

http://community.inv...er-not-working/

Might this be possible to include in [HSC32] Newsletters for better usability without touching core-files?

I can look into this (as well as ways to track how many newsletters have been read). However, I cannot give you a timetable for these enhancements. I had not planned on making any major changes to this app for a little while, as I'm in the middle of several projects at the moment.

So bottom line: Hopefully next release, but I don't know when that will be.

I can look into this (as well as ways to track how many newsletters have been read). However, I cannot give you a timetable for these enhancements. I had not planned on making any major changes to this app for a little while, as I'm in the middle of several projects at the moment.

So bottom line: Hopefully next release, but I don't know when that will be.

Alright, sounds fair enough.

Where can i translate the content blocks added to the newsletter?
As example "Latest Topics", where do i find and translate this topic in the newsletter to Swedish? I couldn´t find it though searching the word packs in the Manage languages setting.

The birthdays don't seem to be updating properly. It is still listing the birthdays that occured the week I installed the plug in.

See - http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/78207-cheers-and-gears-weekly-update-01282012/
and then
http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/78294-cheers-and-gears-weekly-update-02042012/

• 2 weeks later...

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. Changes include:

• Administrators can now define custom HTML templates per Newsletter (instead of the default IPB wrapper)
  • All content headings have been extracted into language strings (see newsletter_public_newsletter)
  • Birthdays for "This Week" were not properly detected. Fixed.

Instructions on creating HTML templates are defined in the included documentation (NEWSLETTER.pdf). Please read the section at the end of the document, titled "HTML Templates".

Enjoy!

Great Update!

May i only ask regarding HTML Template, is it possible to do layout in current version with a 2 column design (left column for manual content and right column as sidebar with latest threads, etc)? Since you only use a <#CONTENT#>-tag i guess it´s not possible to divide different kind of content for now?

Great Update!

May i only ask regarding HTML Template, is it possible to do layout in current version with a 2 column design (left column for manual content and right column as sidebar with latest threads, etc)? Since you only use a <#CONTENT#>-tag i guess it´s not possible to divide different kind of content for now?

Technically, you can edit the skin templates so that each section has a unique ID in the div tag. Then, you can use CSS in your HTML template to position them accordingly.

Technically, you can edit the skin templates so that each section has a unique ID in the div tag. Then, you can use CSS in your HTML template to position them accordingly.

Been trying to play around with this but i guess it´s over my head since in the end i just can´t manage to separate <#CONTENT#>-tag, i only end up with duplicate info or nothing at all. If you have the time it would be nice if you could also include example template-files for 2 and 3-column designs with the content split between them.

Archived