Suggestion... build numbers

Marcher Technologies

http://community.inv...anage-articles/
PLEASE, please, please.
append build numbers to the files in the client center.
Please.
Would save SO much headache..... when a fix is available in the package, but the file LOOKS the same, its ridiculously easy to mess it up.
or simply NOT know you have outdated files.
and then we, the helpful community, have to explain REPEATEDLY how to fix the same error.
shall i dig up the list of topics this 1 single "silent" fix has caused?
i shall.
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/350089-solved-driver-error-in-manage-article-wtf/page__hl__%2Berror+%2Bmanage__fromsearch__1
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/349396-manage-articles-gives-driver-error-after-updating/page__hl__%2Berror+%2Bmanage__fromsearch__1
duplicative topics... its not their fault really(most do not search when they have a driver error, much less when the files "look" the same), and until your next full version hits, there will be more.

I recall suggesting the 'last updated' timestamp was made visible when this issue was raised before, iirc in the Customer Lounge. The only downside is it may confuse some clients that an upgrade is available when its a "hotfix" that might not effect many installations.

I recall suggesting the 'last updated' timestamp was made visible when this issue was raised before, iirc in the Customer Lounge. The only downside is it may confuse some clients that an upgrade is available when its a "hotfix" that might not effect many installations.

Build numbers would address this nicely.

For specialized hotfixes, that build number could be appended with a letter, then simply explain such builds with an "a" or whatever at the end do not apply to all installations.

• 3 weeks later...

You could leave feedback in the IP.Board section for allowing the member bbCode to also use user ID numbers as well. If the name is nothing but a number, look up that user by number instead of name.

Or i could just make a sharedmedia plugin respecting permissions/settings/groups, and stop the whole mess of name or number........works locally just fine.
....REALLY tired of hunting links, and trying to push in foreign symbols to this dated bbcode...
that, and inline searchability is nice...
shucks, im not even perfectly certain the member bbcode as it stands would not show a banned member, or a member in a group hidden from the member list.
EDIT, not only does it not do that, but you hard-coded the HTML...... smoooth.
Used to wonder why with all the advances made, TB's Group Format hook didnt hit that....
And now i know.... you aren't passing it a template:

protected function _buildOutput( $member )

{

return "<a href='" . $this->registry->output->buildSEOUrl( 'showuser=' . $member['member_id'], 'public', $member['members_seo_name'], 'showuser' ) . "' class='bbc_member _hovertrigger url fn' hovercard-ref='member' hovercard-id='{$member['member_id']}' title='{$this->lang->words['bbc_member_bbcode']}'>{$member['members_display_name']}</a>";

}

.... yeah thats dandy... until someone hooks into the hovercard to do something like format member names -.- shouldn't that be:

protected function _buildOutput( $member )

{

return $this->registry->output->getTemplate('global')->userHoverCard( $member );

}

...if such a change doesn't make 3.3 then all that effort is for naught, as that will STILL be a link.... and search engines will follow it.

Archived