[REQUEST] Ability to close poll without closing topic

RObiN-HoOD

add my vote too - really needed. we just closed a poll and I discovered that the topic got locked as well. that is such a hassle.. do we redirect now to a new topic if we want to keep the topic going or split it?

so ... please consider adding this feature

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Should be included with IP.Board by default.

A true shame that such a basic feature is not present.

I think wil not be included by default, because it is already a paid hook,doing this, in marketplace that gives to IPS an extra income from the comissions of the contributors.So, the chance is very low to be integrated by default, that means losing money for IPS :smile: .It is more profitable having a paid hook.

It's NOT a paid mod. That mod just has a close button. The feature request (or at least mine) is to be able to enter a date and time to close a poll, same as a topic. We run contests and polls close at a specific time. So we set the topic to close. The mod has no use for my situation, no one is going to wait it out and hit close.

How many reasons are there for "This poll ends at..."? Plenty!

It's standard in other software. I hate closing topics just for a poll.

• 3 months later...

Agree emphatically with the OP.

Too many features of IPB (that are standard offerings of other free boards software) are only accessible via community plug-ins. Plug-ins are just bad from a maintenance standpoint. Start taking note of the popularity of certain plugins and community feedback and begin integrating these features please.

Certain features should be bundled with IPB, and this is one of them :

EDIT: Could the OP-er please add a poll to present IPS admin with a better account of the desirability of this feature?

Agree emphatically with the OP.

Too many features of IPB (that are standard offerings of other free boards software) are only accessible via community plug-ins. Plug-ins are just bad from a maintenance standpoint. Start taking note of the popularity of certain plugins and community feedback and begin integrating these features please.

Certain features should be bundled with IPB, and this is one of them :

EDIT: Could the OP-er please add a poll to present IPS admin with a better account of the desirability of this feature?

This ^ ^ ^

• 6 months later...

I agree that this should be built into the functionality of the software and not a plugin.

We use polls, so fans can pick game favorites. We would like to close the poll when the games start, so that after the games we can have discussions and see the poll results. Currently, we get skewed polling data because people can change their votes throughout and after the games.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been requesting since 2010/11 so not holding my breath, but really need this as well. I don't get the logic of an answer I got in another topic, which was close the topic to close the poll. 1. No admin in their right mind would grant topic close permissions to members just so they could close polls. 2. We need discussion to continue after polls. Closing topics and providing links to new topics is messy and it's only common sense polls have an end date.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a member today ask if I could close his topic at a certain time for a poll, so he could award winners (poll was a contest vote). I did this for him once, but told him I can't keep closing topics to close polls, the best bet is to take a screenshot of the results and leave it open. This is really awkward for an advanced software. I've already replied to this many times but asking one more time can't hurt. Poll close ability please.

Pretty please with sugar on top! :)

Thanks

Looks like the decision to switch to Xenforo has been made for me.

Total madness but for me, this and no video embeds to gallery just seems sloppy.

IPS have their reasons for not including these features, I am not disputing that, it just means the suite in its current form is not for me.

• 1 month later...

Archived