Suggestion: HTML5 history api

Cillegio

This suggestion was inspired by http://community.inv...s-to-beginning/ which, in my personal opinion, is a real issue and has the same implications all over the board. You may want to consider this for future versions.

For example, on member profile page, when you switch between tabs, you lose your history and "backing" will take you to wherever you came from. I understand this is done to avoid extra page loads, but for all the modern browsers (except IE9), which is now ~50% of users and probably 100% of admin interface users, this can be easily fixed by using HTML5 history API. Added benefit is that you can copy your url and send a direct link to somone else (I know you can still do it by right clicking tab and copying target url, but this does not seem like a very useful option).

It is best described at https://github.com/b...the-tree-slider and basically allows you to change url history while keeping your AJAX calls. Sorry, this is probably not news to you, but I just wanted to show a simple proof of concept for member profiles page which you can see here - http://www.disput.az....php?showuser=1
If you click on tabs, you will see that urls change without page refresh, and "back" takes you back to the previous tab (although with extra refresh at the moment)

I have simply added couple of lines to changeTabContent method, to register URL change and stubbed "backing" function by reloading the page on proper URL. Obviously, "backing" could and should also be intercepted and loaded via AJAX, but I really wanted to keep my changes to a few lines.

Thank you for starting this suggestion thread. I encountered this problem when I was browsing users in the Member Management page. I noticed that when I click on a member name to edit/view his profile, clicking the back button takes me to page 1 rather than the page I came from. I feel this is improper behavior however IPS staff feels that this is the correct implementation of the design. I'm willing to admit that, however that just means that the design was wrong.

I was also wondering whether this issue shows up in other areas where there are multiple pages of whatever. If so, that makes it somewhat more serious, imo. I mean Member Management is one thing but if this shows up everywhere, then I think it needs to be addressed asap.

• 2 weeks later...

IPS does not respond to every suggestion with a "this will be added" or "this won't be added" reply. Just make a suggestion, if enough people get behind the idea it may show IPS that there is popular support for it, or they may realize the benefit without needing a lot of people to reply. In any event, all you can do is put the suggestion out there and see if IPS adds it or not.

IPS does not respond to every suggestion with a "this will be added" or "this won't be added" reply. Just make a suggestion, if enough people get behind the idea it may show IPS that there is popular support for it, or [u]they may realize the benefit without needing a lot of people to reply[/u]. In any event, all you can do is put the suggestion out there and see if IPS adds it or not.

it would seriously make settings management less of a hassle as well, I think the many places this implementation could be utilized where as of now, it is not, speaks for itself....
even the official apps... eg
you see an acp tabs or tablesorter, THESE are the places this has a far-reaching and vital effect beyond just that one area mentioned above....
i am behind this myself in honesty.

Archived