Taking the Jump from vBulletin - Suggestions

RootzWiki

Hello,

I'm in the process of moving from vbulletin (eeek) and I thought I would throw in my suggestions for some ways to make IP.Board easier to manage. (From the point of view of a vBulletin user)

1) forum permissions

2) avatar vs profile pictures

3) adding a moderator group

4) make moderators of parent forum the moderators of subforums

5) Creating a new forum

Thats my input so far, im sure there will be much more to come. Overall tho I'm loving the switch :)

I have about 300 forums/subforums. When i switched to ip.board all my permissions were gone (understandable). However, setting up permissions on 300 subforums is a major drag in IPB. Even using the "copy permissions" dropdown to set up 95% of my forums is proving to take ages. I only have 10-15 forums that need special permissions, the rest run on a default. I would suggest a way to set all forum permissions to a default of the users choice, or by forum category.

Another way to make this easier is to put the "Save and edit next" button right next to the drop down for easy work.

For some unknown reason, users on vBulletin can set both an avatar and profile picture - It would be awesome if the converter (if this is the right place for it) could merge these together when switching to ipb.

when selecting a group to moderate a section, is there any way to have the permissions page retain what was set previously? or some kind of default? Ideally when you set a group to moderate a section, the group permissions should be saved by group, that way moving a group or adding a group elsewhere would keep that. If not that would be very useful. Also, on this page the forum selector should be larger (or resizable)

i looked, i didnt see an option for this, this would be VERY useful. Also a way to select an entire category to assign moderators to all contents should be included.

When i create a new forum in IPB the "Copy view permissions from:" drop down is not there, it should be.

1) You can also configure forum permissions by going to the Members tab -> Member Permissions. You would do it for each permission mask from here (you usually have one permission mask per group) which might make it quicker in your case.

3) You can apply that group to moderate multiple forums, and it will use the permissions you set for all forums. This is what the forums multiselect field does. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

4) Same as my response for #3. While it wouldn't be automatic, instead of adding the group *again* to the subforum, you just edit their existing moderator entry and select the additional forum they should moderate.

Thank you for the other feedback!

• Management

Thanks for your feedback. Always good to get constructive points. Even little things add up over time.

By the way, you might want to login using the same email/pass you use for our client area. That way our system will upgrade you to customer status :)

I have about 300 forums/subforums. When i switched to ip.board all my permissions were gone (understandable). However, setting up permissions on 300 subforums is a major drag in IPB. Even using the "copy permissions" dropdown to set up 95% of my forums is proving to take ages. I only have 10-15 forums that need special permissions, the rest run on a default. I would suggest a way to set all forum permissions to a default of the users choice, or by forum category.

Why on EARTH do you have so many forums/ sub-forums? I'm curious to see your board.

Thanks for your feedback. Always good to get constructive points. Even little things add up over time.

By the way, you might want to login using the same email/pass you use for our client area. That way our system will upgrade you to customer status :smile:

They are a secondary... unless you can hook that up.. I'm not sure of a way to do it.

Why on EARTH do you have so many forums/ sub-forums? I'm curious to see your board.

It's an Android based site, many models and each have their own developer and mods sub forums too.

The site is live and the transition went very well.... the members love the site... and it's performing very well too for a large very active site.

http://www.rootzwiki.com currently 6100 active users in 60 minutes.

For those wondering about resources and performance compared to vb... the site is a tad quicker then the vb 4.1.7 was on the same server and setup.

Archived