Download: (Pav32) Bot Group

Pavulon87

File Name: (Pav32) Bot Group
File Submitter: Pavulon87
File Submitted: 20 Oct 2011
File Updated: 01 Nov 2011
File Category: Hooks and Plugins

This modyfication allows to change group of search bots from "guest" to another.
Useful, for example if we don't want to certain content (eg. forums) were visible to search bots but for guest already so.

Also availble on: http://forum.invisio...av32-bot-group/

Click here to download this file

Very useful, been looking for something like this. I have to enable Guest to access stuff like Member because Bot group share the same Group as Guess.

Just wondering if I read this Mod correctly that it allow the Bot Group to change to another such as Members, but Guest will stay as Guest access without interfering with the Bot right?

So basically, if you use this, you can allow bots to see the entire website, while still running a closed community?

Yes. But you must remember that if someone change browser UserAgent(for example with User Agent Switcher extension for Firefox) then it will be treated as bots.

Yes. But you must remember that if someone change browser UserAgent(for example with User Agent Switcher extension for Firefox) then it will be treated as bots.

Well that is a bit of a problem. But I think it is well worth it for possibility of better SEO.

Again, such an amazing mod. Great work.
  • 3 weeks later...

Will this work for 3.2.3? And can you guy explain to me what you talking about User Agent Switcher extension for Firefox because I don't get it.

Also will this mod effect the robots.txt? I guess this will make SEO better since bot can now see topic and thread. Just wondering how you know the bot is permission group is working and get place on the bot? Anyone use this and does it help improve SEO?

Yes, this works with 3.2.3.

User Agent Switcher can change informations about your browser and for example you can be treated as a google bot.
This hook only change group of search bots from guest to another. What you do with that is depending on you.
You could give them additional access or block standard options.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This hook has been causing all sorts of SQL errors......

hooks/p32BotGroupSessions_82761902b08666c2f25b3c91f4fa816b.php             | [ssoPublicSessions].__construct                                               | 23  

/sources/classes/session/api.php                                                                             | [p32BotGroupSessions].__construct                                         | 390

​

Any chance you could find a fix for this?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think the best way to test this is installing the User Agent Switcher for Firefox. See here. After you've done so in your Firefox, go to Tools > Default User Agent > Search Bots > Googlebot 2.1

Visit your forum and log out.

That will allow you to see your forum the same way the Google bot does. If you've given some subforums permissions for that Bot Group you created, but not to Guests, and you can see those subforums without being logged in, it means it works.

• 2 months later...

Archived