We need introduction

Axel Wers

Previous versions used to have some text, which every new user could red before registration process.

Like:

Welcome on our board blah blah, click here for more information about our community blah blah, check our rules before registration blah blah...

But in 3.2. something like is totally missing. When new user clicks on Registration button he doesn't get ANY information.

So would be good when we could have one text area field where we can write some general information about board and community.

Its there but its just a link / checkbox on the main form to say they have read it. :smile: , as I'd suspect not that many people actually do read it.

On a related note, I do wonder if something could be added to the first step of the registration area, as there's a space almost asking for some text in it. I did think this may be an ideal spot for a third party hook to add something in, either that or this step should not really be present, not sure which. :smile:

EDIT... Just realised that only applies to Nexus, ignore me.

That text was moved into the "Terms and Conditions" popup available on the registration form that you have to check to accept. We didn't feel it was necessary to keep this as a separate step that you first view, then continue. Thinking about most other online registration forms, you don't have a terms page that you continue through to reach the registration form - you have a box on the registration form to accept the terms, with a link to them, which is what we've moved to in 3.2.

That text was moved into the "Terms and Conditions" popup available on the registration form that you have to check to accept.

Yes. but problem is that only very few people read Terms (especially if it's in another (pop-up) window) and they clicking on "Agree" automatically. That people.

We didn't feel it was necessary to keep this as a separate step that you first view, then continue.

No, I don't want to have another step, only wanted little one row above registration form, where I could put short information.

I would like to have an option for a one line message as well. It is a requirement of my forum that new members fill out what version of their software they are using. I want to add a message saying this and failure to do so will get the account deleted.

You might say just make this a compulsory field. That doesn't work with dropdowns. Whatever is the first option then gets used. I have too many options to use radio buttons.

3.1 had a registration tips panel as shown here. I want something the same in 3.2. There's a big blank space for it.

3DKiwi

post-75662-0-03838500-1318356062_thumb.j

post-75662-0-80848500-1318356265_thumb.j

Couldn't you just skin that in, 3DKiwi? Seems like it would be somewhat trivial to just edit the skin if you want to add a block where you are indicating?

Well I guess so but all I'm asking is for similar functionality to what we had before and there is a blank space for it. If you're running a plain old forum then what we have now in 3.2 is fine. For those of us running specialty forums and with a few important requirements this is a must otherwise we end up with new members who failed to fill in some vital information.

3DKiwi

Surely the content of your site will give them a good enough reason to join.

I, and I doubt anyone else, would never be swayed by any sales blurb - if there are conversations that I wish to join in with or I need to ask a question then I will join.

Having some key points and benefits is irrelevant and probably has no effect on member numbers.

Archived