Community

Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Species

MSSQL still supported?

I'm afraid we will no longer be offering the MSSQL driver to new customers.

I see. That's unfortunate. May I inquire as to the reasoning behind this decision? I was hoping to use Invision however my situation requires MSSQL. Invision is quite possibly the best software in this class. I believe you're alienating a significant number of people with this decision. Many people (including myself) are growing increasingly uncomfortable with the MySQL database platform.

That's just silly, as it does hamper some more enterprise based clients.. Since MSSQL Scales Far better than MySQL does, and due to the fate no one's really comfortable with MySQL's future as noted above since the aquisition of it by Oracle

That's just silly, as it does hamper some more enterprise based clients.. Since MSSQL Scales Far better than MySQL does, and due to the fate no one's really comfortable with MySQL's future as noted above since the aquisition of it by Oracle

Indeed. I think this is an extremely bad decision on Invision's part. I am quite curious to know exactly why this decision was made.

I am quite curious to know exactly why this decision was made.

MSSQL represented literally less than .05% of our client base. To maintain compatibility, the developers were having to refrain from using latest technologies. Given that combined with the immense overhead developing and supporting MSSQL, it frankly is a losing battle. By and large, most aren't concerned with the fate of MySQL or the plethora of forks available such as MariaDB. :smile:

In regards to enterprise based clients - there aren't many web based applications that support MSSQL anymore. Even our largest Fortune 500 clients have solid MySQL environments. Naturally, we're constantly evaluating technology changes and will adapt as necessary. For now, the demand for MSSQL has decreased (for us) tenfold in the past decade. We do, for what it's worth, offer hosted community solutions. You may continue to host your website internally and your community with us, with complete transparency (beyond URL) to your end-users.

MSSQL represented literally less than .05% of our client base. To maintain compatibility, the developers were having to refrain from using latest technologies. Given that combined with the immense overhead developing and supporting MSSQL, it frankly is a losing battle. By and large, most aren't concerned with the fate of MySQL or the plethora of forks available such as MariaDB. :smile:

In regards to enterprise based clients - there aren't many web based applications that support MSSQL anymore. Even our largest Fortune 500 clients have solid MySQL environments. Naturally, we're constantly evaluating technology changes and will adapt as necessary. For now, the demand for MSSQL has decreased (for us) tenfold in the past decade. We do, for what it's worth, offer hosted community solutions. You may continue to host your website internally and your community with us, with complete transparency (beyond URL) to your end-users.

From a business standpoint - the decision does make logical sense. I understand it but cannot say that I agree with it. Oracle has been making some extremely bad decisions with the MySQL platform lately and the ripples are starting to show through-out the development community. Unfortunately being that IPS no longer supports MSSQL - I will have to evaluate this situation and most likely move ahead with Community Server instead.

Thank you Lindy for the honest answer and I really do appreciate it. I have other projects which may be more open to using MySQL and will always recommend IPS under those conditions. This is the best PHP forum after all. =)

I must admit, even though I'm a very new customer, I'm quite disheartened by this too. One of the principal factors in the decision for purchasing Invisions forum software was the reported MSSQL support. While I concur that htere are many fortune 500 companies who are happy with their mysql deployments, there are equally many others who are happy with their MSSQL deployments. As with IPB Newbie, I too will need to re-examine this choice and I've only been a customer for a week or two...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this