The member .... can not use the messaging system

rgf100

• 1 year later...

that makes most sense to me.guests would not see it while other groups would.

really if the "Can use PM system" is set to no that should trigger the hiding icon IMO.

now as far as hard or easy to do I do not know and could not hazard a guess.

I think my post has been misunderstood. You seem to be talking about:

1) If someone does not have access to the pm system, they should not see the pm icon. That makes perfect sense, I'm not sure if it happens now or not. You don't see it as a guest though.

my issue was...

2) On my board, only established members can use the pm system. New members can't. BUT on the member-info pop-up and on the profile, there's still a 'send message' button for new members. And if you click it, it brings up the compose box. And then you write your message, click send and .... get told new_member cannot use the messaging system.

I could believe you can't check that permission for the member info pop-up and that it's easier just to put the button there.* But once someone has clicked the button to send someone a message - you're going to have to do the permission check at some point. Why wait until the poor sod has written the message?

Anyway, 2 years and no response from any devs, so I'll not hold my breath.

*Actually I can't believe it, but never mind.

1) If someone does not have access to the pm system, they should not see the pm icon. That makes perfect sense, I'm not sure if it happens now or not. You don't see it as a guest though.

my issue was...

2) On my board, only established members can use the pm system. New members can't. BUT on the member-info pop-up and on the profile, there's still a 'send message' button for new members. And if you click it, it brings up the compose box. And then you write your message, click send and .... get told new_member cannot use the messaging system.

I could believe you can't check that permission for the member info pop-up and that it's easier just to put the button there.* But once someone has clicked the button to send someone a message - you're going to have to do the permission check at some point. Why wait until the poor sod has written the message?

That's exactly what happened to me. A new member registered on my forum, I hovered my mouse over their name and clicked the button to send them a PM. I wrote the message, tried to send it, and got this error.

As aside note, I still haven't figured out how to let new members use the PM system.

my issue was...

actually we are all in agreement, just stated differently.

you say when click button gets can't do it msg we say should not even be button so no chance of seeing the error.

2 ways to accomplish the same task, 1 that pops up an error right from step 1 and other which prevents it all.

Archived