IP.Board required more optimization

Intasar

Hello,

I Have today's check the "Page speed" on google. Its amazing to see the result of IP.Board 3.2 community board of IPS, in according to Web optimization. we can also called it a +point for "SEO".

here its: http://pagespeed.googlelabs.com/pagespeed/#url=http_3A_2F_2Fcommunity.invisionpower.com_2F&mobile=false

I Got this result on desktop computer,

"The page IPS Community Forum got an overall Page Speed Score of 26 (out of 100)"

and on the Mobile i got this:

"The page IPS Community Forum got an overall Page Speed Score of 36 (out of 100)"

This show very poor result. and there are many things that can be IPS Make optimize. like so many js file. scale images and combine css sprits. removing the query strings and optimized and minify the HTML.

I request the IPS designers and developers. please focus on the page optimization too. this part is the most useful. and its also make IP.board more comprehensive, enhanced and best software.

Hello,

I Have today's check the "Page speed" on google. Its amazing to see the result of IP.Board 3.2 community board of IPS, in according to Web optimization. we can also called it a +point for "SEO".

here its:

http://pagespeed.goo...2F&mobile=false

I Got this result on desktop computer,

"The page IPS Community Forum got an overall Page Speed Score of 26 (out of 100)"

and on the Mobile i got this:

"The page IPS Community Forum got an overall Page Speed Score of 36 (out of 100)"

This show very poor result. and there are many things that can be IPS Make optimize. like so many js file. scale images and combine css sprits. removing the query strings and optimized and minify the HTML.

I request the IPS designers and developers. please focus on the page optimization too. this part is the most useful. and its also make IP.board more comprehensive, enhanced and best software.

Board index, with most all default images skinned out, some custom bg images, minify ON(edit), and no CDN... http://pagespeed.googlelabs.com/pagespeed/#url=http_3A_2F_2Fteamlegacy.net_2Findex&mobile=false 81.

Thanks for the response Matt,

but could you have any board that have normal installation and all the minify activated ? so i can see the result of that site ?

and every webmaster don't have their own CDN. so how can they optimized there board ?

Thanks

If you don't have a CDN, frankly you can't make use of the Pagespeed recommendation to use a CDN. That seems fairly obvious.

A majority of the current failures are resolved by enabling minify, which as Matt said is off so we can test some changes in the current beta release.

Side note - sprites is another common thing those auto tools suggest to use, but we do not because this makes skinning exponentially harder for novices.

I got 86 (out of 100).

I tested Xenforo and it got 91..

http://pagespeed.googlelabs.com/pagespeed/#url=http_3A_2F_2Fxenforo.com_2Fcommunity_2F&mobile=false

The one thing I don't understand is why Xenforo feels so faster while browsing, posting, etc? Actually with update to 3.2.x my forums loading time has become slow and it's not increase in traffic.. traffic also is down by 15% according to google analytic. I am not concerned about traffic but I even my members are complaining forum has become slow.

Brandon, I noticed Xenforo implemented sprites in there default skin. Is it possible for IPB team to publish tutorial on how to add sprites in default skin? So admins who use default skin can do changes by themselves to use sprites?

Thanks

The one thing I don't understand is why Xenforo feels so faster while browsing, posting, etc?

Comparing IPB to Xenforo is like comparing the handling of a Rolls Royce to a Honda. Yeah, the Honda might be a bit quicker and more agile, but look at all the cool gadgets and features that it doesn't have compared to the Rolls.

Comparing IPB to Xenforo is like comparing the handling of a Rolls Royce to a Honda. Yeah, the Honda might be a bit quicker and more agile, but look at all the cool gadgets and features that it doesn't have compared to the Rolls.

Did you actually bothered to read what I posted? I am not comparing 'features'. The reason I thought XF is faster is because they might have different things set up which I haven't.

Ex. sprites which i mentioned. That's the one I know off and it might be more that I am not aware off and hence above post.

More or less there is something in IPB 3.2.x which makes my forum load slower because there is nothing changed on my dedicated server from 3.1.4 to 3.2.2.

I got 86 (out of 100).

I tested Xenforo and it got 91..

http://pagespeed.goo...2F&mobile=false

The one thing I don't understand is why Xenforo feels so faster while browsing, posting, etc? Actually with update to 3.2.x my forums loading time has become slow and it's not increase in traffic.. traffic also is down by 15% according to google analytic. I am not concerned about traffic but I even my members are complaining forum has become slow.

Brandon, I noticed Xenforo implemented sprites in there default skin. Is it possible for IPB team to publish tutorial on how to add sprites in default skin? So admins who use default skin can do changes by themselves to use sprites?

Thanks

Quite simply, IP.Board does a lot more than Xenforo, so it's expected that all the extra stuff takes processing time. I think if you disabled 90% of features in IP.Board, you'd find it loads very snappy.

Sprites really make very very very minimal improvement. Using sprites reduces the number of HTTP requests to the server, but if you use a CDN it's somewhat moot anyways. Beyond that, if your server is configured correctly, images are cached by the browser so those HTTP requests are only sent once (per time period you set for caching, e.g. day, month, etc.) and not on every page load. I sincerely believe the benefit of using sprites, while not to be discounted, is minimal and not worth the extreme trouble they are worth in a dynamic package like IP.Board.

• 1 month later...
Guest Reystar

Honda? You meant Ferrari i think ;)

• 1 year later...

IPB used to be fast loading but since the IPB 3 series was launched, it has become infected with what I would refer to as "too much bloatware". IPS thought that there are all of these cool features so let's dump all of these features into the software and it really has become too bloated. Performance lags and there's just too much crap loaded into it.

Personally, if I were at IPS, I would dump all of that bloatware and return the IPS software back to what it was during the 1.0 and 2.0 series.

I'm not harping on IPS as I still support and license the software but all of this additional crap that has been pumped into the IPB pplatform really isn't needed. I think the intent was to turn the platform into more of a social media platform when it doesn't need to be. IP.Board, IP.Gallery, IP.Downloads, IP.Blog, IP.Content should be all that's needed and just dump all of those other integrated options and crap that drag the software down.

Another problem is the coding of hooks, plugins and skin templates by third parties who don't properly code their stuff. I've run into problems where installing a skin doesn't import the other plugins or hooks into that particular skin and you have to copy certain directories into that skin because soomeone didn't code their skin template correctly, and still other skins that completely ignore other plugins or a scenario where a deve simply didn't like a particular plugin so they just refused to include a certain ppiece of code into the template. The same goes for third party plugins and hooks.

I actually ran into a problem where I have installed a forum skin and that skin didn't bother to import a plugin and I ended up having to uninstall and then reinstall that plugin. It's just that when it comes to third party devs, and I'm not saying that this is true all of them, but that there are far too many devs who aren't coding correctly or they take short-cuts.

Archived