editing posts is inconsistent

Tremault

So after the fact, therefore because of the fact, am I right?

Go ahead, keep replying to me, like I have anything to really do with this. You go and point out what the technical reason behind one screenshot is and all of a sudden you're the one people go after. That should teach me to stop trying to explain how the software is working.

I'll leave the topic with this: that screenshot I replied to is almost certainly not caused by an issue with the editor, it was caused by some IP.Board javascript that failed to load, probably due to a browser issue. The fact that it happens inconsistently should be a clue that it is not a problem in the core software, but rather something going wrong locally. Disbelieve that if you want to, I've only been developing with the software for about 5 years now or so, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't. I can right click in the editor fine.

you have to be in a place where there is already text. the user i was communicating with was clicking the white space in the editor which would have previously been fine.

You go and point out what the technical reason behind one screenshot is and all of a sudden you're the one people go after.

actually, I responded to your response to me, where you basically suggested i was a liar.

So after the fact, therefore because of the fact, am I right?

did i state that CKE was the direct cause? it's certainly part of the issue, or the way the software is written around this editor or something.
certainly, if CKE editor was the problem completely, then don't you think it would make sense for me to be barking at their door?
it's pretty plain to me that it is the implementation of the new editor that is an issue. not the editor itself.

The fact that it happens inconsistently should be a clue that it is not a problem in the core software, but rather something going wrong locally.

didn't somebody say that it happened on this website? so it's not a server environment issue if it happens on many different server environments. and it happens with many different users. I don't appreciate you suggesting that it is our problem and that we have to fix it.
it happens for many people so that means it is not stable enough or does not have enough fallbacks. there are a lot of people with lots of different computer setup and network connection speed and reliability. the software needs to be designed with this in mind. but here i am lecturing on software design. i shouldn't even need to say this.

focus on the main issue please.
the simple core editor should not have been removed. we never had these problems with that editor.

great stuff. thanks for that.

how about the editing buttons in simple mode? and allowing a user to have simple mode as the default via their usercp?
(or at least prevent it from changing back to advanced mode.)
also, the browser cache of text in the box when pressing back and forwards on the browser? you know, in case i accidentally open a page in my current tab instead of a new tab. (or any of my members)

great stuff. thanks for that.

how about the editing buttons in simple mode? and allowing a user to have simple mode as the default via their usercp?

(or at least prevent it from changing back to advanced mode.)

also, the browser cache of text in the box when pressing back and forwards on the browser? you know, in case i accidentally open a page in my current tab instead of a new tab. (or any of my members)

Bro, quit while you're ahead. Otherwise they'll suspend you.

The editing bug has been fixed in 3.2.3.

Which one if I may since several issues has been posted here?

Now...

it didn't prevent people from pasting with the right click menu.

Good you reminded me. I forgot about it.
To be more exact this is what happens to me from time to time.
When right clicked inside reply box sometimes I'm getting right click menu which normally shows when a web page is right clicked.
Like this:

%7Boption%7D

As you can see there is no "copy", "paste" and any other option, which should be present when reply box is right clicked.
Correct right click menu should look like this (disregard my custom right click options):

%7Boption%7D

Also "no toolbar" issue happens to me sometimes when simply replying, not editing.

P. S. All those issues has been also reported by my board members, so it's not just me.

Testing in FireFox.
So I've been trying to reproduce the right click no cut paste error and can get it to happen in FF.
First load a topic, it helps if it is a topic you haven't visited before.
go to quick reply box and right click in it. This will expand the box but the right click menu will go away.
immideately right click in the editor again and you won't get the cut and paste options until you type something in it.

Can anyone else reproduce it with these steps?

when im using it on my ff.
if i am NOT right-clicking on a text line(no text==top line)
it reliably produces the browser rightclick instead of editor one.... as im typing, right-clicking below the text produces browser right-click..
To elaborate... i cannot paste text(nor even get the option to) anywhere other than an existing line sans ctrl+v.

• 4 months later...

I'm still running 3.1.4 and I'm having the same issue with the editor for almost a year. The quick reply takes about 20 seconds, members click the submit again and it double posts. In the regular editor is a bit better but still takes a while. Has anyone come up with a solution. I've created a ticket this morning and no response yet. Will see.

It's crazy as I have tested with IE8 and latest Firefox. 90% is slow and the other 20% is hit or miss on posting properly. Even on creating new topics I see them double posted because members think that it did not take the first time. This is really an issue that needs to be solved. Other boards don't have this problem. Users of the board don't need to adjust. IPB needs to work right.

I have not updated to later versions for the same reason and because of skin modifications. There has to be a solution. Please help us.

• 1 month later...

hello, I'm responding in this topic because this issue was brought up a LONG time ago and doesn't seem to have been addressed at all in the new 3.3 version.
why hasn't this been fixed?
I upgraded a test forum to 3.3 to see what differences you have made and was very disappointed to see this issue still occurring.
I cannot edit 2 posts in a single topic because the editor doesn't load consistently. also, cannot use bbcode buttons in simple editor mode.
the worst thing I ever did was upgrade to 3.2 , why can't you fix what you broke?
give us the original editor as a basic foundation, then load the CKE on top of it for those who want the 'advanced functions'.
come on guys, this editor is awful!

You can read Matt's response to my own complaint about the lack of attention given in 3.3 to fixing the editor problems here:

I too would dearly love to go back to the 3.1.4 editor. Nowadays I compose all my new posts of more than a few lines in Notepad. I also make sure to copy/paste existing posts before editing them, because too many times I've had to retrieve a post's content from database backups after CKEditor destroyed it.

The most frustrating thing is that prior to 3.2, IPB's standard editor was for me one of it's strongest points. I would still prefer to see that editor return as an option, rather than implementing CKEditor's new BBCode mode, because it was lightweight and totally reliable. I know there is zero chance of that happening though.

preference is indeed enough and dislike for the CKE editor is very strong, but I feel what is most striking is the fact that it doesn't load.
the MAJORITY of times I wish to edit a post, the editor just doesn't load. as a result I cannot click the full edit button. I have to reload the entire page and click 'edit' again and cross my fingers that the editor will load this time.
I find it shocking that this kind of thing is not considered an URGENT issue to be dealt with.
what could possible be more important than the Text input on a software that is fundamentally a Forum???

edit: actually, I would prefer for the CKE editor NOT to load at all.
it appears that there is clearly a basic editor in the forum. only the buttons are missing.
surely it would not be too much of a challenge to put those buttons back there and make the post button and the full editor button work?
I mean, the CKE editor doesn't load AT ALL on my iphone. what on earth is this obsession with using the CKE editor at the expense of standard functionality?
are you being bribed by them or something?

I'm not having problems with the editor, at all. I've been using 3.3.0 since it's been released and I've experienced no problems with the posting editor. The only problem that I still have isn't a problem but rather an issue that I posted about with 3.2. I'm just sad that IPS still hasn't fixed the BBCODE editor. With 3.1, we were able to highlight the text we wanted to format and then click on the BBCODE we wanted to use. With 3.2 and 3.3, we aren't able to do that. I just don't like the "only wysiwyg" editor or none at all. If you switch to BBCODE editor, everything gets grayed out and I remember Brandon saying that it was something that IPS was going to work on for 3.3.

I'm just wondering if this is still being worked on or did they just forget about it?

edit: actually, I would prefer for the CKE editor NOT to load at all.

it appears that there is clearly a basic editor in the forum. only the buttons are missing.

Yes the sad thing is that the standard HTML textarea you're left with if the editor doesn't load is actually MORE functional than CKEditor's standard (non-RTE) mode, in that at least you get word-wrapping in Chrome.

I'm just wondering if this is still being worked on or did they just forget about it?

See the link in my last post. Matt says they decided against adding the buttons in 3.3 in favour of rewriting the code to use CKE's new native BBCode mode (to get away from the HTML parsing issues that have plagued IPB since the move to CKE). There is still no public timescale for that as far as I am aware.

in all honesty... I Know the reasoning was not having to continue development of an in-house editor... but Given The Option... I Would NEVER use the CKE.... WYSIWYG Editors .... Just never seem to work exactly right.

Yep. IPS's own built-in standard/WYSIWYG hybrid editor had far fewer bugs and oddities, from what I recall.

If I'm right the move to CKE was made because of the extensive resources needed to maintain the native IPB version.

Now two releases have passed since the standard editor disappeared. Rel. 3.1 has end of life this summer, most sites are upgraded and users have been forced to get used to CKE.

Is it at all realistic anymore that the std. editor will return...? %7Boption%7D

Given that 98% of members use the std. editor we have been holding on to 3.1 until now, but after Matts promise to have it back in 3.3 did not happen we now give in and go for 3.3.1.
I fear that this will have a drastic negative effect on our forum activity. %7Boption%7D

If I'm right the move to CKE was made because of the extensive resources needed to maintain the native IPB version.

That was one of the claimed reasons. That being said, there have been quite a few bugs that they have had to fix since adapting the CKEditor, and there are still quite a few bugs and issues remaining with it atm. Take a look at the Tracker. Fixing those would take resources.

The editor used by IPS for years was great and could easily be modified if the admin wanted to do that, I too am still on 3.1.4 mainly because of the editor change, I really don't like the CKE editor and many have problems with it. It is possible to have another editor as one was already made as a hook but I tried that one out and don't see much improvement over CKE. It is possible to have another editor so what we need is one of the wizard coders to make a hook so it is just like the IPB one in 3.1.4 and they can even charge for it and it would sell. I like the fact that you can keep the emoticon panel open in 3.1.4 and I have never had an issue with that editor!

the new editor is awesome, and one of the main features you notice right away.

and ips put some work into it.
check vb they just stuck it right in there from ckeditor with ipb is using too but they add an this awesome new design...

• 8 months later...
I am using the latest version of IPB and having the same problems with the editor. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I try to reply a topic or open a new topic and the functions of the editor does not load. All I get is an empty square with no buttons, no emoticons, no icons, nothing.
This is what I get:
post-121900-0-32844800-1357595005_thumb.
Then if I delete cookies and clear the browser's cache (doesn't matter if it is Chrome, IE9 or Firefox) everything back to normal for some time. Then a few hours later or the next day it happens again. Many users are complaining about this problem and we have almost 12,000 registered users.
Is there a solution for this?
thanks

I am using the latest version of IPB and having the same problems with the editor. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I try to reply a topic or open a new topic and the functions of the editor does not load. All I get is an empty square with no buttons, no emoticons, no icons, nothing.

This is what I get:

Then if I delete cookies and clear the browser's cache (doesn't matter if it is Chrome, IE9 or Firefox) everything back to normal for some time. Then a few hours later or the next day it happens again. Many users are complaining about this problem and we have almost 12,000 registered users.
thanks

Same.

This is what I get:

thanks

I believe that others are also having the same problem. I wonder if there are any moderator or someone on staff to help us solve this problem?

Please?

Archived