View IP Address Permissions

Wolfie

%7Boption%7D

File Name: View IP Address Permissions

File Submitter: Wolfie

File Submitted: 10 Nov 2010

File Category: Moderation Tools

Allows you to set group permissions on who can view IP addresses in posts. By default, IP.Board will always show these to those with Global Moderator privileges (including Administrators) as well as Forum Moderators if they are set up to be able to see these. This hook overrides that functionality and lets you choose groups who can see this instead.

here to download this file

• 1 month later...

Not really, no. I'm able to make this hook work because there is a data hook location that lets me format the data before it's output for topics, but no such data hook location exists for the display of personal topics. I'll request IPS add this, but it may not happen, and even if it does it won't be until at least 3.2.

OK thanks. it's a great mod nonetheless :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks for this Michael,one question though - I'm getting this after setting rootadmin group ..

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/########/public_html/########/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3400) : eval()'d code:8) in /home/#######/public_html/######/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Any idea's ??
Cheers
marko

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Question!

This doesn't seem to work for custom member groups who are allowed to access the ACP. To my understanding, if a group is allowed to access the ACP, they're automatically considered an administrator. I don't agree with that because it doesn't actually mean that the group functions as an administrator. Unless I'm not seeing a setting somewhere, any group that can access the ACP is considered an admin with IPB...regardless of the setting for this hook.

I'm not sure what wouldn't work about this hook due to what you're describing. This hook lets you explicitly set which groups can see the IP addresses in posts. If there is a group you give access to the admin CP, but you don't give them permission in this hook to see IP addresses, they should not be seeing IP addresses in posts.

Let me see if this explanation helps.

If you do have this hook installed, or it is installed but you haven't selected any groups in the hook's settings, then IP addresses in posts will display to anyone who is a global moderator, or a forum moderator in that forum which you have set to see IP addresses in posts. If you have the hook installed and one or more groups selected, members of those groups (either as their primary or secondary groups) will see IP addresses in posts.

Nothing about the behavior of displaying IP addresses in posts, either with the hook installed or not, depends on checking whether or not they can access the Admin CP.

If you do have this hook installed, or it is installed but you haven't selected any groups in the hook's settings, then IP addresses in posts will display to anyone who is a global moderator, or a forum moderator in that forum which you have set to see IP addresses in posts. If you have the hook installed and one or more groups selected, members of those groups (either as their primary or secondary groups) will see IP addresses in posts.

Then I must be overlooking something really simple here.

The hook is, in fact, enabled and set up ONLY for the Administrators group:
post-192203-0-13772100-1327971849_thumb.

A member, that belongs to an entirely different group is able to see IP addresses:
post-192203-0-27713000-1327971921.png

That member has his own group called Community Leader, but has a secondary group of "Moderator." Shouldn't is still, because the hook is enabled, only allow the Administrators group to view IP addresses?

That second screenshot is not an area controlled by this hook, as its description indicates, it controls whether IP addresses are displayed in posts.

Indeed, you're correct. While its intended purpose works, shouldn't the hook also take the "see full list" area into account? The whole point (unless I'm failing to see it) is to ensure that IP Addresses are not visible. Did you intentionally omit the "see full list" area from this hook, or was it an oversight?

EDIT: Eh...maybe I should rephrase that.

Michael, if the "see full list" area was an oversight, or just simply omitted, would it be difficult to include that area for this hook?

The IP addresses on the Online List page was not included in this hook because it is not something you can hook into in the same way you can with the IP addresses in posts. In posts, you can make a skin overloader that changes the one value that determines whether the IP address is visible or not: $post['post']['_show_ip']. That value is normally calculated in the PHP source file, but by doing a skin overloader hook you can apply new logic to it to make it so the IP address shows to who you want it to.

In the Online List, however, the determination of whether you can see the IP addresses or not is done purely based on whether the active member can access the Admin CP. I could, in theory do an additional skin overloader on this template which changes the value of $this->memberData['g_access_cp'] based on whether they are in a group defined by this hook, but doing that would then make it so members who couldn't normally access the Admin CP, but were in one of the groups selected by this hook, would see other things Admins see on the page.

So this wasn't an oversight, it was coded the best way it possibly could, as I do all of my products. If hiding IP addresses is a critical thing for your site, and you want to stop them from seeing them on the Online List page, why not try hook? It will make it so you can define which groups can get to this page.

Thanks very much for that detailed response, Michael. You do, in fact, do a wonderful job with all of your products. I'm glad you explained how it worked because I didn't realize the two areas couldn't be hooked the same, without additional changes. I understand now. Additionally, it's not that hiding the IP addresses is a critical need for me, but I was hoping that the IPs in both of the two areas could be hidden. Again, I appreciate your detailed response.

• 1 year later...

Archived